Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Post game thoughts vs florida

Default This team is for real

Merge this with the post game thread, but give me a Tillie and Perkins who dont foul out and I really do think we have a championship caliber team. I surprisingly thought it before this game, and as this team grows I think we will be right in the thick of "best team in the nation". I couldnt be more enthusiastic about this team.

PS abe... you owe Perkins an apology. In its own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Merge this with the post game thread, but give me a Tillie and Perkins who dont foul out and I really do think we have a championship caliber team. I surprisingly thought it before this game, and as this team grows I think we will be right in the thick of "best team in the nation". I couldnt be more enthusiastic about this team.

PS abe... you owe Perkins an apology. In its own thread.
    ..and the bull#### call that got Tillie out of the game..when a 6'10" guy goes straight up from behind on a 6 foot guard to grab the ball it is NOT over the back!!
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

Default Post game thoughts vs florida

First off it was a tough loss but I thought high level hoop action and great game to watch.

Perkins and Williams is a wonderful combo. Perkins makes the point go and Jw3 is a beast. A beast.

Melson had multiple shots to win and clamped up but had some greats too but I thought he struggled all gm.

Hachi didn't look ready vs a Florida team.

Our defense was poor for a lot of the stretches and didn't run back on D and gave up huge 3's.

Once Perkins left towards end of 1st OT, we vastly got outplayed in the 2nd ot. I think he is the best option we have and I like watching him.

Refs were bogus. Bogus.

In the end, the loss sucks but what a helluva gm.

Go zags
    Love the zags for life

You can still be over the back even if your taller. However it was a horrible call.

Also, some ppl won't ever care for a player so let it be.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    You can still be over the back even if your taller. However it was a horrible call.

Also, some ppl won't ever care for a player so let it be.
    If you dont care for perkins anymore there is something more than basketball going on. Yes i said it.

I wasnt a huge fan, but the dude is legit and getting better.

Some more thoughts here.

Florida guards are elite. And our guards battled all night.

I wish Silas would of made that free throw but it is what it is.

The defense wasn't good and the lazy running back on D killed us at times.

Norvell is wild right now IMO. Tillie was a stud as well. Kispert did well but got lost on some screens and laziness one one big 3 by Florida.

Florida hit big shot after big shot. Goodness that squad is nice.
    Love the zags for life

I feel really weird right now. On one hand, I'm super pissed about the loss. On the other hand, I'm realizing that Gonzaga is clearly a top 10 team and is going to contend for a national championship this year. This team is legit. We just need P&M to learn from this and keep doing what they do.

playing to not lose all over again,,

Depressing loss, but they played a great team tough. They were balling. Perkins, Williams and Tillie in the second overtime and we would have won. Or a Melson ft.

If you dont care for perkins anymore there is something more than basketball going on. Yes i said it.

I wasnt a huge fan, but the dude is legit and getting better.
    Depends in my books. And i know what your getting at. I love this squad and Perkins but some ppl don't care for ppl. I wasn't all over pendo like some on this board. It might be his face. Idk. I hope it isn't what I'm assuming you mean.

It was fairly obvious Perkins is our best PG.
    Love the zags for life

They showed me something tonight, but they lost to a better team.

Even with everything going against them 8-1 fouls, the 5 pt play, the box-outs, we still had an offensive set to win (ugly ugly ugly), we had a FT to win, we had a 3 pt to win, that's competing. And Jazz, i take that away as a positive, not necessarily a moral victory but something to learn along the way. They can hang with a top 10, top 5 team.

Spy, I don't think we're top 5 just yet, maybe ever. Teams will grind Perk into dust b/c we have nothing if he's not running the offense and looking to score. Maybe we really should consider moving Kispert to PG to give Perk a blow.

Those refs fouled out Perk and Tillie awfully quick-like. kinda weird. No hope after that.

We looked 10x better than we did last night.

Texas will be tough. We come out 2-1 with a win over Texas and a 2 OT loss to Florida, I'm ok with that.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Some more thoughts here.

Florida guards are elite. And our guards battled all night.

I wish Silas would of made that free throw but it is what it is.

The defense wasn't good and the lazy running back on D killed us at times.

Norvell is wild right now IMO. Tillie was a stud as well. Kispert did well but got lost on some screens and laziness one one big 3 by Florida.

Florida hit big shot after big shot. Goodness that squad is nice.
    They are damn good. Damn good. Those guards.. geesh.

But our Zags hung with them every step of the way and were a free throw away from winning. I would argue that if Tillie and Perkins dont foul out we win that game. We will never know though.

One Hell of a game - reminded me of the GU-Mich St classic in Maui. JW3 was something else. Our youth showed with missed switches late and the boneheaded lack of poise in not getting back, but I also give props for hanging in there despite #### reffing and some deadeye shooting from Florida. Those dudes can ball. I felt for Melson. Seemed he’d gotten over the hump and had us on the cusp and then came up short. That’s gotta hurt. Thankfully it’s only November. Hopefully it’s a blessing and we recommit to D because playing it at this level won’t end well.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    They showed me something tonight, but they lost to a better team.

Even with everything going against them 8-1 fouls, the 5 pt play, the box-outs, we still had an offensive set to win (ugly ugly ugly), we had a FT to win, we had a 3 pt to win, that's competing. And Jazz, i take that away as a positive, not necessarily a moral victory but something to learn along the way. They can hang with a top 10, top 5 team.

Spy, I don't think we're top 5 just yet, maybe ever. Teams will grind Perk into dust b/c we have nothing if he's not running the offense and looking to score. Maybe we really should consider moving Kispert to PG to give Perk a blow.

Those refs fouled out Perk and Tillie awfully quick-like. kinda weird. No hope after that.

We looked 10x better than we did last night.

Texas will be tough. We come out 2-1 with a win over Texas and a 2 OT loss to Florida, I'm ok with that.
    Idk know if Florida is better. I'd like to see our guys not fouled out to see. Now if they always are in foul trouble and lose, I'll agree.
    Love the zags for life

We played the 7th ranked team to double overtime. It was a nail biter. When is that not a good night? I think the difference in the game was the lack of depth on our side. Coach didn’t play the subs much and when he did, they didn’t contribute much. They will be ready by March! This team will only get better!!!

Quote Originally Posted by El Zag View Post
    I can’t say I saw that. There were a couple defensive lapses that cost us a three. We get back and defend that and we win.

Perkins and Tillie being in foul trouble, then fouling out really limited what we could do.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by FuManShoes View Post
    One Hell of a game - reminded me of the GU-Mich St classic in Maui. JW3 was something else. Our youth showed with missed switches late and the boneheaded lack of poise in not getting back, but I also give props for hanging in there despite #### reffing and some deadeye shooting from Florida. Those dudes can ball. I felt for Melson. Seemed he’d gotten over the hump and had us on the cusp and then came up short. That’s gotta hurt. Thankfully it’s only November. Hopefully it’s a blessing and we recommit to D because playing it at this level won’t end well.
    Florida had way above average quickness - the kind that make for difficult D. We had a few lapses but overall I thought we played decent D against a very high calibre team.

Let's be honest. This is the Silas Melson Game. He had three chances to win it and he failed thrice. It's not unprecedented; Stepp had three shots to win it in the '03 2 OT classic vs Arizona and failed thrice.

the D was good at times, not good at times. it's a good game for this team to experience and digest, my opinion, leaders emerged and the younguns got pressure run and answered many bells
    I hope Silas takes those same looks down the stretch if he gets them, he attacked, didn't fall

Quote Originally Posted by El Zag View Post
    Totally disagree.

I have lots to critique on this team, but I can smell "playing not to lose" from a mile away and this team wasn't doing that.

We're young and need Perkins in the game, but we were aggressive on the boards and offensively all night.

LOTS of stuff to learn, complain, cheer on, all that, but "playing not to lose" is not an issue, at least not to me.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    We played the 7th ranked team to double overtime. It was a nail biter. When is that not a good night? I think the difference in the game was the lack of depth on our side. Coach didn’t play the subs much and when he did, they didn’t contribute much. They will be ready by March! This team will only get better!!!
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Pleasant Peninsula View Post
    Let's be honest. This is the Silas Melson Game. He had three chances to win it and he failed thrice. It's not unprecedented; Stepp had three shots to win it in the '03 2 OT classic vs Arizona and failed thrice.
    I will take Melson coming up short in November as opposed to Stepp coming up short in March...

We only will get better folks.

In my 19 years following the zags this may be the first time ever i wasnt even too sad after a loss. This team is going to be awesome!! they already are.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Totally disagree.

I have lots to critique on this team, but I can smell "playing not to lose" from a mile away and this team wasn't doing that.

We're young and need Perkins in the game, but we were aggressive on the boards and offensively all night.

LOTS of stuff to learn, complain, cheer on, all that, but "playing not to lose" is not an issue, at least not to me.

I am with you... "playing not to lose" wasnt the case at all.

agree with you both

Yes, we fell short from time to time and had some problems, but playing not to lose wasn't one of them. We scrapped and were aggressive the whole game.