Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are the Zags ready for the PK80 tournament ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Coach Few and his staff are excellent at scouting and preparing the guys for their next game...

These games are in essence early NCAA games...win and advance...

I think we win the first two and then play Duke and that game will depend on how well we defend and not get into foul trouble...
    This would be an amazing accomplishment for this group.

A dream scenario, yet could happen…

It would be a huge win for this season to advance to the Championship game, and at that point, it'd be all gravy.
    “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Tiny.
    Tell me that these guys will be intimidated by OSU as some fans think. I love this picture, and it shows how much work these guys put in, in the weight room. GU is tough folks. I am really looking forward to the match-up between JW3 and Bab- Dio. They are about the same size. JW3 was our best defender last year. Don't be too surprised if Melson guards Tate. I'd love to see that too. This is the kind of game that will establish the Zags as a team to worry about. I'm so happy we're playing them. If the Zags are to be a great team then they'll with this battle. This tournament will showcase our Zags and they'll certainly rise in the polls. I'm sticking with my 13 point victory. I am really hoping that they believe their "tough guys" can guard us one on one. If they guard JW3 one on one he will killl them. I'll take Tillie over Potter any time. Yes Potter does outweigh him. Does he out quick him? Or out tough him? One more day. I can't wait.

Go Zags111
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    This
    Yeah. Utah State showed every team what they have to do:

*You must hit a lot of 3's.
    Gonzaga wants to control the pace. Take that away, and you still need to hit 3's to make up for the fact that you won't be as efficient. And you may very well not be able to control the pace the entire game against the Zags. 3's make up for some of that.

*You must be physical
    Gonzaga has 3 bigs true bigs, but only one that can play like a 5 in the deep post consistently. You have to take away enough to affect the touch of J3 around the rim. As well, you have to get their bigs into foul trouble.

If you can't do those two things, you'll have to rely on GU having an off night, in order to win. That's going to be less and less likely as the days go on.

And even after a solid half of being physical, and shooting 3's...USU still lost by 13. And that's early on in the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Coach Few and his staff are excellent at scouting and preparing the guys for their next game...

These games are in essence early NCAA games...win and advance.
    Great insight Bogo.

Not sure about 2nd game applicability, but certainly first game, almost exact same circumstances.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    Yeah. Utah State showed every team what they have to do:

*You must hit a lot of 3's.
    Gonzaga wants to control the pace. Take that away, and you still need to hit 3's to make up for the fact that you won't be as efficient. And you may very well not be able to control the pace the entire game against the Zags. 3's make up for some of that.

*You must be physical
    Gonzaga has 3 bigs true bigs, but only one that can play like a 5 in the deep post consistently. You have to take away enough to affect the touch of J3 around the rim. As well, you have to get their bigs into foul trouble.

If you can't do those two things, you'll have to rely on GU having an off night, in order to win. That's going to be less and less likely as the days go on.

And even after a solid half of being physical, and shooting 3's...USU still lost by 13. And that's early on in the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    USU fans must have felt like this during that 17-0 run that put the game away:

https://mobile.twitter.com/pkinvitat...833856/video/1

PK80 - The Blazers predict who will win the tourney.. wat h for one person who picks the zags to win it all!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Tell me that these guys will be intimidated by OSU as some fans think. I love this picture, and it shows how much work these guys put in, in the weight room. GU is tough folks. I am really looking forward to the match-up between JW3 and Bab- Dio. They are about the same size. JW3 was our best defender last year. Don't be too surprised if Melson guards Tate. I'd love to see that too. This is the kind of game that will establish the Zags as a team to worry about. I'm so happy we're playing them. If the Zags are to be a great team then they'll with this battle. This tournament will showcase our Zags and they'll certainly rise in the polls. I'm sticking with my 13 point victory. I am really hoping that they believe their "tough guys" can guard us one on one. If they guard JW3 one on one he will killl them. I'll take Tillie over Potter any time. Yes Potter does outweigh him. Does he out quick him? Or out tough him? One more day. I can't wait.

Go Zags111
    Zags aren't scared of anyone. Let's goooo! Whooo! Turkey, family and zags victory is what I love to see!

Go zags!
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    USU fans must have felt like this during that 17-0 run that put the game away:

This picture is perfect evidence that a picture is worth a thousand words.

I've thought and thought about this question all week. "Are the Zags really ready for this game today,as well as this tournament?" My answer is yes. And I hope that Texas Zag Fan posts this picture after the game tonight because this is how Ohio State fans are going to feel.

This picture is perfect evidence that a picture is worth a thousand words.

I've thought and thought about this question all week. "Are the Zags really ready for this game today,as well as this tournament?" My answer is yes. And I hope that Texas Zag Fan posts this picture after the game tonight because this is how Ohio State fans are going to feel.
    It took me awhile to figure out photobucket, all I have to do now is figure out to put them in an "album"...lol.

Here's a few of my favorites from our trip to Zagland in July.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    It took me awhile to figure out photobucket, all I have to do now is figure out to put them in an "album"...lol.

Here's a few of my favorites from our trip to Zagland in July.

Great pics! So glad you guys came up and had such a fun trip.
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyZag View Post
    I don't think the start time matters. Remember these kids are 18-22 yrs old. Probably playing pickup all summer at mid-night. BUT, I do think you are right with your second point. Zags should own the fans in that game. I was reading the game notes and was reminded just how many of our previous players/coaches are from the Portland/Vancouver area. Including Silas Melson & coach B. Michaelson on the current team.
    I have been thinking about this since you first wrote it, and agree in part. They have been playing summer pick up games until Midnight, and later, but in the Eastern Time Zone.

Since school has started, they undoubtedly have been living a more structured life, practice and school are hard work (they do go to classes at JAOSU, don't they?)

This game is scheduled to start at midnight, their time, but that also is when the Stanford/Florida game should end. It will be at least 9:30 before it gets underway, 12:30 a.m. for them, and last for 2 more hours, unless they throw in the towel at half time.

I expect a hard fought game...to start, and then the Zags will overwhelm them. Maybe not, but that is what I expect.
    It's not funny.

I was looking at GU stats today, and they are not very good. The worst I've seen in years. It kind of freaked me out. Jonathan Williams is having a horrible season so far, and honestly I hope he can snap out of. I understand he's playing a new position, but I really thought he'd be leading this team in ever stat. I'm just shocked. Hope all this changes today.

I was looking at GU stats today, and they are not very good. The worst I've seen in years. It kind of freaked me out. Jonathan Williams is having a horrible season so far, and honestly I hope he can snap out of. I understand he's playing a new position, but I really thought he'd be leading this team in ever stat. I'm just shocked. Hope all this changes today.
    20th in Adjusted Offensive Efficiency, 27th in Adjusted Defensive Efficiency.

Previous years..

Last year we were 16th in O, 1st in D
    Two years ago we were 22nd in O, 27th in D

So... if by years you mean 2 years.. I supposed technically you are correct.

The Zags have outrebounded their first three opponents by a total of fifty boards. They're shooting 50% from the field and almost 40% from three-point range. They have an assist to turnover ratio of 2/1. The competition has been completely outmatched. These kids will be okay.

Here's what I will be interested in seeing.

Last year's team was just so good that every game they'd jump out to huge leads (think Northwestern), and every game we could expect a second half mega run by the other team to get it respectable or even a loss (BYU).

I would rather this team just keep pounding away little by little, and keep the door closed.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I got my information from ESPN statistics for all 350 teams so far this year. Here is what I found there: Points per game=94th/ assists tied for 26 with 5 teams; FG%=tied for 47 with 3 other teams; FT% tied for 111: 3 pt %- 83; Rebounds 4th; Blocks 184th; steals 76th. Like I said, not too impressive for me. St Mary's is ahead of us in all areas accept rebounds. and honestly most all good teams are.

I got my information from ESPN statistics for all 350 teams so far this year. Here is what I found there: Points per game=94th/ assists tied for 26 with 5 teams; FG%=tied for 47 with 3 other teams; FT% tied for 111: 3 pt %- 83; Rebounds 4th; Blocks 184th; steals 76th. Like I said, not too impressive for me. St Mary's is ahead of us in all areas accept rebounds. and honestly most all good teams are.
    I believe everyone said that this young team w/o many guys used to playing with each other would take some time to develop. I wouldn't read too much into stats after 3 games. Let's wait until after the 6th game and then evaluate where we stand.
    Mark Twain.