Thread: In praise of Silas Melson

Default In praise of Silas Melson

Silis came in to the program like many freshman thinking he was Gods gift to basket ball (remember the superman cape-bashful he was not, humble he was not) He was the best player in his basketball universe up to that point. He was a player who was totally me first. He would shoot if open or shoot if not open. The rest of the team were to support his outstanding abilities. Definitely not a team player as many freshman are not. He kept jacking the ball up though despite an exceedingly poor shooting percentage. I was probably his most vocal critic when many were singing his praises and making excuses for his shortcomings. In my mind I did not think he was good for the team. His sophomore Year he was better but nothing to brag about. At least he seemed to be shooting less but to me not taking good shots. In my opinion a decent bench player. Last year his junior season I was impressed. He was doing a good job in a workman like manner, I did not flinch when the ball was in his hand and he made many critical shots. I was joyously amazed at the transformation he had made up to that point. I had a new respect for him, his work ethic and team play, wonderful to see. He had gone from egocentric to team first mentality. Unbelievable to me this year he is the MAN. He has all the tools and to me he is the team leader (way to go superman) the personal transformation in him (due to some excellent human beings as coaches), is truly personally satisfying to me. I consider Silis to be one of the best college basketball players in the country. He can do whatever the team requires and do it well. It would not surprise me at all if he were drafted into the NBA. You do not see this Personal transformation with all the dedication, understanding and hard work that it takes to climb that mountain. Silis you are my favorite player so you have changed me as well (but we both know that I am the real superman) Have a wonderful future young man.
    Last edited by zag buddy; 11-19-2017 at 01:18 PM.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher
    I'm just dancing my way through life.

While it think the NBA is a stretch, his growth as a person and player has been awesome to watch. I honestly can't remember him taking a really questionable shot the last two years. He's ultra smart, strong with the bad, and an excellent defender. He has a far exceeded my previous expectations!

I still question his shot selection from time to time, maybe it's just out of habit from the first years, but whatever it is, he's making up for it by being a ferocious defender, the necessary defender. I see hope that Larsen could be the other one.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

melson was always more of a volume scorer coming in and those guys have a tendency to struggle in the zag system, which really emphasizes making the extra pass and getting the best, most efficient looks...think melson really would've benefited from being able to take that redshirt freshman year a la norvell, who is also a bit of a streaky volume shooter.

I like Melson as a player and he seems like a good guy from the interviews. He seemingly learned how to contribute in other ways when he wasn't shooting it great early in his career, but for a guy to embrace that role so readily he probably already had it in his DNA. He's made so many big plays over the years and there have been many times he floated in from the clouds for a pivotal rebound or put back dunk like a deus ex machina from Greek drama. He will be fun to root for this year. I'd like to see him more assertive but would be content if he keeps making big plays on offense and defense when he's needed the most.

Silas gets it. I like that about him.

He seems to fill in the gap NWG did regarding being a Coach on the floor. Not a floor leader per se, but is executing the game plan and what the coaches want/need. On both sides of the floor.

I sincerely wish Melson would just stop the fade-aways on some of his 3pt and interior shots. I will never get it. About half of Silas' attempts he fades away on, and those shots he doesn't....well....they go in. Swish.

Its a subtle fade away, usually when a defender is near, but still...if he stayed consistent with his shooting form, he'd be LIGHTS OUT, not just STREAKY.

Watch him closely on his makes and misses, most of his misses are due to that damn fade-away he does....been doing it since he was a Freshman too.

Excellent article about Silas’ trip home to Portland for PK80:

http://https://www.slipperstillfits.com/2017/11/21/16684192/silas-melsons-thanksgiving-homecoming
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1