Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GU vs Ohio State Buckeyes - Predictions/What you hope to see

I'm expecting a close game. GU 75 - 70.
    I'd like to see aggressive defense and some sharp passes on offence.

I think GU wins this game but it will be closer than we would like and we hang on late with good free throw shooting...

OSU has a weight advantage so it will be interesting to see how our quickness matches up with their size. They have two 6'9" players that way 270 and 240 and their best offensive player is 6'7" and weighs 235. I like our bench and think we are a better scoring team from inside and outside the 3pt line but can we defend OSU? To me that is the question...

I would like to see us limit Diop's opportunity to get the ball...really make life miserable for him, especially since he is their only decent 3pt shooter...limit his touches or at the very least contest his shots...He is also their best rebounder so blocking him out would be a priority.

I would also like to see our bigs play solid defence and not get into foul trouble...

JWII needs to play under control and look to pass when the double team comes...and make his FT's...

I would like to see Josh drive and dish and Cory be more assertive...Melson will have his hands full playing D against Tate, Williams and Jallow

I see GU winning 81-73

Gonzaga 81
    Ohio State 74
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I think GU wins this game but it will be closer than we would like and we hang on late with good free throw shooting...

OSU has a weight advantage so it will be interesting to see how our quickness matches up with their size. They have two 6'9" players that way 270 and 240 and their best offensive player is 6'7" and weighs 235. I like our bench and think we are a better scoring team from inside and outside the 3pt line but can we defend OSU? To me that is the question...

I would also like to see our bigs play solid defence and not get into foul trouble...
    Agreed.

Have a feeling OSU's game plan will be to use their weight advantage early to get Tillie and J3 some cheap fouls.

They will try to pound in the paint. Defense, or smart post defense will be key to winning or losing.

Keep in mind, 2 of Ohio St's starters were consensus 5*, Top-25 kids out of high school. The other 3? All 4* recruits. They don't even have a 3* on the roster!

I get that recruiting rankings don't mean much, yet point is, they are a very talented ball club comprised of all top flight players.
    “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

GU 79
    OSU 72

Go Zags!

Gonzaga 79
    Ohio St. 63

Funny comment from an OSU forum:

"The Zags got a freshman big who seems to be a force in the middle, Cory Kispert."

Zags - 75
    Horse Chestnuts - 69

Many here are predicting the zags get into the 80s. That seems a tall order against a Big 10 team that is typically very physical and defensive minded. That stated, the zags can score in a lot of ways and at every position, so a score in the 80s is certainly within reach and I think Few will likely direct the offense to free-flow and hopefully we'll be raining 3's on TOS.

I do think the zags have the advantage in most areas and it will carry them to a double digit win. We'll see though, the zags have looked great but this is the game where the rubber hits the road.

GU 83
    OH 77
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

Just find a way to come outta this thing with at least (2) wins.

Even if we lost out the gate, our next 2 games would be vs Texas, Butler, Arkansas, or Stanford.

No easy task. Stanford isn't great yet they are still legit competition.

Butler and Texas would be quality wins by seasons end, no doubt.

If we win, we get to play #6 Flrodia, and still Texas or Butler or Arkansas if we lose.

Point is, going 3-0 is the ultimate outcome, yet winning 2 games i.e. 2-1 is still very respectable by the time March rolls around.

The Committee sees wins and losses, not whether or not if we won or lost in Rd 1 of the PK80 Tourney.

So, my hope is notching at least 2 victories no matter how we do it.

Heck, with our young guns and unknown mental make up at this juncture -- I still question a true leader this yr -- we could go 0-3. I don't even want to consider it, but still could happen.

I would qualify 2-1 as a huge success by Sunday night.
    “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Sorry if this is hijack.
    Is there any alumni event before Thursday or Friday games?

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

I will take a win, in any form it comes in. Do not sleep on OSU, this likely won't be an easy one.

GU 70
    OSU 69
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Funny comment from an OSU forum:

"The Zags got a freshman big who seems to be a force in the middle, Cory Kispert."
    Haha
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Long post for Happy Thanksgiving full of stuffing! Enjoying some Rafanelli zinfandel so hopefully not too rambling

Larsen looked good in the zone. Was it an adjustment after his and the Zags first half struggles defending the pick and roll out of the M2M, or was it planned all along? Idk, but his performance anchoring the zone sparked the Zags in the 2nd half after the opposite in the 1st when he collected fouls and the Zags collectively struggled to defend.

Looks like it will be fun once again to follow the defensive game plan, and the tweaks game to game and in-game. I have read here that different coaches on the staff have helped this become a Zag strength, Bone’s scouting for example and again Idk, but it’s been sweet.

Re. the zone to my memory, sometimes it worked last year and its effectiveness/ineffectiveness had a lot to do with the opposition matchup and the personnel groupings Few wanted for time/score. For example, vs. TN when the refs went bonkers and Few was forced to go zone, it was not effective and TN torched it. Another time forced to go zone was vs. ISU when the Cyclones went 5 out on O vs. our M2M and Burton got loose on Karno and then anybody else in front of him; Zags went zone and cooled ISU’s FG% but got creamed on the d glass and struggled to finish the d possession with the rebound. Zags zoned vs. WVU in the tournament but had to get out of it late after giving up 3s and o boards, went M2M down the stretch and all 3 guards—JP, Silas and NWG—came up big defensively along with JIIIs ability to switch on the pick and roll.

This year? Early obviously, but we’ve seen all kinds of looks from the Zags defensively in these 3 games with different personnel groups trying things out and adjusting. I would think the D game plans would again be versatile to dare poor 3pt shooters to make them and make good 3pt shooters do something else, whether out of the zone or M2M or press/trap, whatever. Also the Zags should be able to mix and match both scheme and personnel as they have in the recent past with in-game adjustments depending on things until they find what works, if the initial game plan needs adjusting for whatever reason.

Could be wrong of course, but I think that’s what happened vs. USU defensively, both in scheme with the zone and personnel with Jones.

It wasn’t always like this in Spokane since I’ve been following, used to be much more predictable and inflexible defensively imo, but now it’s become a weapon for the Zags. I’m hoping to see this continue tomorrow and throughout the weekend and the season.

I rarely pick against the Bulldogs, but I have not seen anything from GU so far this year which would make me believe that GU is a "lock" against Ohio State. I predict a 5 point game, but I am not confident whether the 5 points will be for us or against us.

Hoping for a win.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Zag View Post
    I rarely pick against the Bulldogs, but I have not seen anything from GU so far this year which would make me believe that GU is a "lock" against Ohio State. I predict a 5 point game, but I am not confident whether the 5 points will be for us or against us.

Hoping for a win.

Go Bulldogs!
    A weird thing this season:

I'm not sure whether we are as good as we believe/think we are.....or if we are actually better than we believe/think we are.

I usually have a pretty good idea after 3 or 4 games, yet I have no clue this season.

Odd.

Time will tell...

Rebound and play solid D for 40 minutes

GU - 78
    OSU - 71

It will be like a home game for the good guys.

Zags - 77
    O$U - 65
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

Early line is Gonzaga by 6...

Would love Kispert to have a breakout game. 19 pts.-10 rebounds. Put the country on notice. Tillie to have a great game at both ends of the floor, not to mention JW3. Would love to have Jacob contribute, which we know he can. I am hyped. Zags should win, but could be very tough!

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    A weird thing this season:

I'm not sure whether we are as good as we believe/think we are.....or if we are actually better than we believe/think we are.

I usually have a pretty good idea after 3 or 4 games, yet I have no clue this season.

Odd.

Time will tell...
    Nailed it. I'm sticking with my initial impression...this will be our most athletic team ever to wear the uniform, though it will take time to get all the pieces to mesh. We're now in resume building season, up through the Villanova game.

Zags 77
    State Ohio 73

I want to see defense, defense, defense. I want to see Silas extra confident back in Portland.

Buckeyes 68
    Bulldogs 72

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.