Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GU vs Ohio State Buckeyes - Predictions/What you hope to see

Default GU vs Ohio State Buckeyes - Predictions/What you hope to see

I cannot begin to explain how much I despise THE Ohio State University... but that aside... What are you hoping to see out of the Zags Thanksgiving night? Predictions?

Have at it boys and girls
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Let me guess, you're from Michigan.

Gonzaga 84-71

10X better effort on the glass and on loose/50-50 balls.

JIII letting the game come to him, taking what the defense gives, and not forcing it.

More passing from our bigs. Larsen had some beautiful passes and JIII did have a couple nice assists as well.

Smarter moments from our guards. Picking and choosing the right time to dribble drive or set up offense. Pretty willy nilly, sloppy last night at times. No flow to their game management.

Seeing what Silas can do as a shot creator. He hit some big shots last night, when we needed it most. Mid range, a drive, 3pt shots. I'd like to see him explore that a bit more, as Perkins is a very good passer but awful finisher. I wish Silas would fade-away less on shot attempts, b/c when he "steps" into his shots, they almost always go in, yet he has a terrible habit of literally fading away, even on 3pt attempts.

Larsen at the center of that zone. The guys are active when we zone, it was just as effective as last season. Larsen is a nice presence and can block shots, as his length is solid. J3 is awesome on the ends but when he anchors the zone, its not nearly as intimidating....or effective. J3 is an amazing help defender, and good at preventing post up catches, but his one on one defense is lacking. He leans too much and gets in trouble.

I think Kispert can score more than he's scoring and would be great to see more screens set up for him. Not just 3pt shots and dribble drive off shot fakes. He's tough, big, strong, and would be interesting to see curl screens set up for him around the paint. Has a nice touch too, and finishes with some tenacity.

Norvell could use some caffeine or something. Just a lazy, lazy defender. In all 3 games. Even the exhibition. Falls asleep too often. He tracks the player until one screen is used and then gives up almost. He seems to have some gusto on offense, and likes to make plays, but his defense is nearly non-existent. Given his size, length, he could be a formidable defender, but won't log major mins until he commits himself. At least 3 free lay ups were given up by him, also forcing J3 and Tillie to foul to help bail him out. Interesting dilemma, as we need a scoring/finishing guard on the floor and he can be that player for us. Gotta light a fire to get him to stay committed on D.

I wish Tillie could play all 40 mins. I also wish he had a tad more muscle, as he looses out on balls he's tracking so well due to lack of strength. Tillie could snag 15 rebs a game with a bit more muscle.

Perkins has a nifty first move, crossover, but does him no good unless he passes. Just like his first few years, doesn't have the ability to finish around the rim. We took NWG's easy floater for granted. IF Perkins could finish better or featured a floater, he'd have 15 pts a game, easy.

We are a good 3pt shooting team. At least 4 misses last night were half-way down the basket. Keep shooting! This team will not be able to out execute or out muscle teams in the paint this season. Need to hit shots and take good shots.

Ohio St is very efficient in the paint. They are also one of the better rebounding teams we'll face this season. We must hit the glass HARD, and stay out of foul trouble. Tillie and J3 are so critical to our success as a team, and they cannot rack up fouls quickly. OSU game plan will be to get these guys out of the game. The Buckeyes are BIG. They have size and weight. Their bigs are all 245+. We'll need Kispert and even our guards hitting the boards.

If we are to win ANY games in Portland, we will need to hit shots. Keep up the 40% from 3pt, hit the glass hard, keep Tillie/J3 out of foul trouble, and the guards must find ways to finish better.

A win. This is a true "must win" game. We don't want to go to the losers side of the bracket of this tourney.

Zags 70. Buckeyes 61
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

78-65

We have one common opponent with Ohio State and that being Texas Southern. Zags by 28 over Texas and Buckeyes over Texas by 18. Giving that spread I'll go Zags by 10. 82-72 in Portland. And I will be at that game in full Zag gear - so looking forward.

Given where we are in this team's development, this one should be close. Gobs of talent in development on our side facing a typical Big 10
    team with big guys who rebound and shoot decently.
    I want further development as a tam.....I was Zach to focus. . I'd like to see better defense.
    Zags 70-65.
    Last edited by MDABE80; 11-19-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Big 10 team

Zags 78-68.

A big W on the stat line

Zags 89-80

Ohio State feels like a trap game. They’re just good enough to give the guys some heartburn, especially the freshmen.

Gonzaga - 75
    Ohio - 72

Rebounding has to pick up - even to +5 on the margin

40% shooting on threes

Consistent D

Keep the ball protection up - less than 12 turnovers.

Zags win 81 - 73
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Im going with 78-72, Zags go up by double digits towards the beginning of the 2nd half, but let the Buckeyes hang around until we start to pull away late.

Zags 87-69

Go!! Zags!!!

GU 83 -67

85-70 Zags.
    It's not funny.

I'd like to see Kispert assert himself more, taking some pressure off the three bigs. I think he can do it, too - he deferred too much last 2 games.

Big 10 game, score will reflect:

GU: 72
    TOSU: 65

I'm with the group that simply wants a win. A loss in the first game of this tourney would simply be disastrous and would set us waaaayyy back in the minds of the BB "media" as a team rebuilding instead of reloading.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Zags 82-81. Zags are slightly surprised by the increased level of play, but gut win out when it is really needed.
    “People have an uncanny ability to make me think I am smarter than I really am. Human Beings bring me back to reality.” S.T.

Zags 81

Ohio st 73
    Love the zags for life

any idea of their rank on ken pom?
    or nat'l ranking at all?

My in-laws are from OHIO. I want this one crazy bad!

83-74 Zags. Any win will make me happy, but I'd love to see a 40 point drubbing!

Zags win 86-76 vs OH St.
    Zags win 2nd game (FL?) at PK80 86-80
    and Zags lose the Championship game (Duke?) 86-80

Don't know if it's allowed to predict scores for all 3 games in advance, but I'm giving it a try because I'll be in Portland without computer, phone, etc. (Five days, just basketball).