Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 60

Thread: Morrison says Melson team's leader

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Laguna
    Posts
    7,225

    Default Morrison says Melson team's leader

    ....when someone missed defensive play....got vocal

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    sierra foothills
    Posts
    13,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    ....when someone missed defensive play....got vocal
    awesome. the whole backcourt boarded int he 2nd half after basically not doing it int he first half. Silas big leader there too

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    9,404

    Default

    Can't disagree with him. He's right. Senior leadership is where he's extremely good and I'm glad he's brought that to the table. Ohio State is a big game next weekend and he's really going to have to bring it again. Go zags!
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

    11 Straight Round of 32s

    10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

    4 Elite Eights

    2017 FINAL FOUR

    2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

    The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Can't disagree with him. He's right. Senior leadership is where he's extremely good and I'm glad he's brought that to the table. Ohio State is a big game next weekend and he's really going to have to bring it again. Go zags!
    I was worried that he wasn't being more assertive in the first two games offensively. It good to hear that he is asserting himself on the defensive end. That said, Melson had some big buckets this game, too.

    (If he and the rest of the team could quit trying to pull off spin moves for awhile I wouldn't mind)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Melson has been great so far this year. He played shutdown defense in the 2nd half tonight.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    9,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I was worried that he wasn't being more assertive in the first two games offensively. It good to hear that he is asserting himself on the defensive end. That said, Melson had some big buckets this game, too.

    (If he and the rest of the team could quit trying to pull off spin moves for awhile I wouldn't mind)
    For sure. I agree with that
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

    11 Straight Round of 32s

    10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

    4 Elite Eights

    2017 FINAL FOUR

    2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

    The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,085

    Default

    It was clear that Silas was the leader of his high school team at Jefferson when most of the team got suspended before the final and Melson rallied the troops to a title. Glad to see him embrace the role now, with Perkins and J3 being more soft-spoken Melson seems like the right choice.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,697

    Default

    Silas has yet to assert himself. Right now, there is no leader. We sure could use one. If Silas is quietly asserting himself, so be it. Often it's the player who logs the most minutes......not this year. The available minutes are chopped up pretty well now. No doubt who was the leader last year. Few has a problem. This is a big issue.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    For sure. I agree with that
    Melson has evolved and last night was one of those games that he took over in a very similar fashion that Pangos and NWG did in games of the past. He looks really good.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane South Side
    Posts
    17,199

    Default

    Abe, you're hopeless, just hopeless. Anyone who couldn't see Silas exercising leadership last night ... well, just hopeless .... Jeez, you've just got to harp on a different kid every week.

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Silas has yet to assert himself. Right now, there is no leader. We sure could use one. If Silas is quietly asserting himself, so be it. Often it's the player who logs the most minutes......not this year. The available minutes are chopped up pretty well now. No doubt who was the leader last year. Few has a problem. This is a big issue.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    4,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Silas has yet to assert himself.
    Doc I agree, Silas has yet to really assert himself. I have not seen anyone step up and take a leadership role to this point in the season; however, we are playing super defence and that seems to get the "juices" flowing on both sides of the court so the TEAM just seems to be doing quite well without a "leader!" Time will tell if there is a single "leader" or a different leader each game...so far we have had a different leading scorer in each game...NWG was a very unique take-charge player and to date, that type of player has yet to emerge.

    I do see CK asserting himself more and more each game...as he gets more games under his belt, we will see him so relaxed playing at this level that we won't think of him as a freshman! He is going to become so difficult for defenders to guard as he easily has the ability to score from outside and take the ball to the rim...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,096

    Default

    Special week for Silas Melson as he gets to return to his hometown as a senior and lead the Zags into the PK80, a once in a [Phil Knight’s] lifetime early season tournament that will be the highest exposure event in college hoops this week.

    Enjoy the moment Silas...you deserve it after all the hard work, humility and determination you have displayed throughout your career. Let’s go Zags!
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,697

    Default

    Personal attacks ZN. Nothing new for you when it comes to me. Like I care?...

    More to the point though......... Go back and read what I wrote. It's obvious we do not have a leader right now. Nigel was a leader as was Pangos. We don't have a leader ( those two were real leaders....FYI it takes more than points to be a leader) right now but we need one. As I wrote, if Silas is that guy, so be it. Feeling sad over Maynard leaving dear? Don't take your frustrations out on me.......But remember.one game doesn't make a leader. Thanks for your silly comment.
    And I apologize to the board . It's disruptive to the topic to have to defend myself. I'm not happy to have to respond.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Idaho
    Posts
    850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Abe, you're hopeless, just hopeless. Anyone who couldn't see Silas exercising leadership last night ... well, just hopeless .... Jeez, you've just got to harp on a different kid every week.
    Agree 100 Percent ZagNative. Very few longtime posters need the attention only negativity brings. At least Josh wasn't mentioned in 'this' post. Melson is Melson, but surely is taking over the reigns of this team! That being said I hope the good doc can get back to his usual insightful posts- so much more positives and even constructive observations to talk about- I miss that Abe....
    "Blake Stepp had a reputation for saying little. That's probably because he had to clench his teeth and wince so much, playing through the pain."
    -Tales From the Gonzaga Hardwood

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,568

    Default

    What's with the personal attacks when a poster posts their opinion. What is this forum for? Enjoy the differences. Can you not find a grain of truth in each posters post and not focus on your own opinion so much that you can not see the point the poster is making. My God, where has logic and reason gone. When did logic and reason flee and emotional reasoning take over- I feel there fore it must be true, Bull sheet.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher


    .
    .

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,496

    Default

    Third game of the year under our belts. Not unusual for a team "finding itself." Yes, we had Pangos (and Bell, who led in a different way), and then NWG - those are the exceptions, the guys that seem to have been born leading the pre-school class.

    Most of the time, leadership grows organically early in the season and I think that's what we're seeing here. I think we'll have more than one, JWIII in the frontcourt, and Silas or Perk in the backcourt.

    I don't think it's our highest priority right now, nor a huge problem. Getting everyone on the same page defensively (Kispert/Rui/Larsen) seems quite a bit more important. But, that's just me.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Third game of the year under our belts. Not unusual for a team "finding itself." Yes, we had Pangos (and Bell, who led in a different way), and then NWG - those are the exceptions, the guys that seem to have been born leading the pre-school class.

    Most of the time, leadership grows organically early in the season and I think that's what we're seeing here. I think we'll have more than one, JWIII in the frontcourt, and Silas or Perk in the backcourt.

    I don't think it's our highest priority right now, nor a huge problem. Getting everyone on the same page defensively (Kispert/Rui/Larsen) seems quite a bit more important. But, that's just me.
    Exactly right and well said.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    What's with the personal attacks when a poster posts their opinion. What is this forum for? Enjoy the differences. Can you not find a grain of truth in each posters post and not focus on your own opinion so much that you can not see the point the poster is making. My God, where has logic and reason gone. When did logic and reason flee and emotional reasoning take over- I feel there fore it must be true, Bull sheet.
    So what you’re saying is it’s ok for people to post their opinions but not ok for people to post opinions that challenge those opinions? We’re on an internet message board. If you don’t have your big boy/girl pants on then you probably shouldn’t be here.

    P.s. you do know what a troll is right?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,568

    Default

    Cg counter opinions are great when substantiated with facts. If no facts are presented to counter another opinion it is just a shouting match - emotional again, leading to personal attacks.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher


    .
    .

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    Cg counter opinions are great when substantiated with facts. If no facts are presented to counter another opinion it is just a shouting match - emotional again, leading to personal attacks.
    I understand zb but what were the facts in the op’s argument?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,095

    Default

    Is it possible that leadership can come somewhere from the PG position. And that is in reference to on-the-court stuff. We have no idea how much leadership Perkins shows off the court in class, practice and socially with the team. Perkins also isn’t a senior- this is JW3 and Melson’s year.

    NWG is a rare player, but when rolled his ankle we found out the hard way that we relied on him too much, in my opinion. This year’s team might need to do this by committee, and might be better for it.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,882

    Default

    What happened to Maynard? Self exile?

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    What happened to Maynard? Self exile?
    Think so unfortunately.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,300

    Default

    I have always preferred to lead from behind....but that is because I like behinds.....

    Melson is a warrior ....has been his whole life as a basketball player.....he has always had to battle and he is determined to win....doesn't need the acclimation ...

    I miss Maynard, he sure was right about Kispert...

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane South Side
    Posts
    17,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I miss Maynard, he sure was right about Kispert...
    I'm going to be so sad if Maynard doesn't post anymore. He's one of the smartest posters around. H's a passionate guy, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to take a break from guboards.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •