Thread: Karnowski and Ira Brown Tabbed for FIBA Qualifier Rosters

Default Karnowski and Ira Brown Tabbed for FIBA Qualifier Rosters

Saw tonight where Shem has been tabbed for Poland's FIBA qualifier roster with a first game on November 24, and with a bit of digging, I found Ira Brown on Japan's roster for its first game, also playing on November 24. (He's a Japanese citizen, having married a Japanese woman.)

Link to Poland's team page with info on the schedule for its 6 games: http://www.fiba.basketball/basketbal...es_and_results

Link to Japan's team page with info on the schedule for its 6 games: http://www.fiba.basketball/basketbal...es_and_results

I looked briefly for any of our other international guys (Canadians, Domas, Tillie, Rui, etc.) but didn't see their names on any of the rosters. Feel free to look yourselves, however.

Note that at least the first couple of games in the series will be carried live on ESPN3.

Really waiting for that Poland-Lithuania game. Should be a good one. Our front-court will be really weak without NBA & Euroleague players, so Shem might feast on it. We only have a skinny 6'10 guy, an even skinnier (although talented) 20-year old, and a slow 38-year old I have no clue how we will handle him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jstock12 View Post
    Really waiting for that Poland-Lithuania game. Should be a good one. Our front-court will be really weak without NBA & Euroleague players, so Shem might feast on it. We only have a skinny 6'10 guy, an even skinnier (although talented) 20-year old, and a slow 38-year old I have no clue how we will handle him.
    Polands 17 man roster sure looked like it had most of their Eurobasket guys. this could be tough for Lithuania.

By the way, disregard the 12:00 PM time of the games listed in the charts. I'll pick up the actual times from ESPN3 closer to game day.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    By the way, disregard the 12:00 PM time of the games listed in the charts. I'll pick up the actual times from ESPN3 closer to game day.
    Based on the info from the Lithuanian basketball news site schedule, it's:

24th 19:15 Poland vs Hungary
    26th 19:30 Poland vs Lithuania

Lithuania seems to be 10 hours ahead of Spokane, so the times would be 9:15 and 9:30 in the morning respectively.

Someone alert WooHoo!!!
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Article from FIBA's site about Shem and the Polish FIBA team: http://www.fiba.basketball/basketbal...the-next-games

The last time Poland qualified for the FIBA Basketball World Cup was 50 years ago, in 1967.

​But Przemek Karnowski believes FIBA's New Competition System increases his country's chances of ending that streak, starting with the upcoming FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019 European Qualifiers.

Poland open their China 2019 qualifying campaign against Hungary at home in Bydgoszcz on November 24.

"I think it's going to be a great crowd. I hope the fans are going to show up and cheer us on. I'm very excited to play in front of my friends and family. It's a new qualifying format and I hope it all will go as planned."
    Karnowski, who hails from Bydgoszcz, is very clear on the hopes and expectations for the team's Group C opener, particularly after a disappointing run at FIBA EuroBasket 2017, where the Poles finished with just one win in five games.

"It's very important. We are looking forward to this game, especially after EuroBasket didn't go as expected. We hope to start the World Cup Qualifiers with a win and keep it going in the next games."

"We know Lithuania is a great team and that it is going to be a tough game. We hope our preparation camp before the games will get us ready and organized and I think the coaching staff and players will be ready to bring it on."

"Obviously it's been a long time for Polish basketball to not play at the World Cup. I think this new format is going to give us more chances to qualify so I hope we can take advantage of that."

Reminder: Watch ESPN3 today for FIBA qualifier games:

2:00 AM - Ira Brown's Japan team vs. Japan, Live Stats

9:15 AM - Przemek Karnowski's Poland team vs. Hungary; Live Stats

Unfortunately, Ira Brown's team loses to the Philippines. Ira with 10 points, 15 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals, 2 blocks. It was a tough matchup for Japan against Andray Blatche, a former NBA player who is representing the Philippines.

Quote Originally Posted by Jstock12 View Post
    Unfortunately, Ira Brown's team loses to the Philippines. Ira with 10 points, 15 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals, 2 blocks. It was a tough matchup for Japan against Andray Blatche, a former NBA player who is representing the Philippines.
    Correction: is being paid to play for the Philippines.

Poland vs. Lithuania (FIBA World Cup 2019 Qualifier) at 9:30 AM this morning, video streaming live on ESPN3, Live Stats will be here.

As expected, we're having trouble dealing with Shem. He seems to have a good 50 pounds on our biggest player.

Shem with a bit silly 3rd foul in the 2nd quarter. Gets benched.

Karno didn't have a great game due to foul trouble. 6 points & 4 rebounds in 12 minutes.

Obviously, Lithuania shellacked Poland 75-55.

Ira Brown's Japanese team plays Australia at 12:30 AM tonight. Live Stats will be here.
    Last edited by ZagNative; 11-26-2017 at 11:04 PM.

Shem's Polish National Team plays again this Friday, 2/23:

You can watch the game live on ESPN3 at 10:00 AM.

Live stats will be here: http://www.fiba.basketball/basketbal...ean-qualifiers

Ira Brown's Japanese National Team plays Thursday, February 22, vs Chinese Taipei. The game can be watched live on line on ESPN3 at 2:30 AM. Live stats can be found here: http://www.fiba.basketball/basketbal...Chinese-Taipei

Rooting around in FIBA's site, I found this photo of Ira Brown. Man, that guy is a physical specimen!

Japan loses to Chinese Taipei 60-70. Ira with 12 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists, and 2 blocks.

Box Score

Shem's Polish National team beats Kosovo 90-62. Box Score.