• Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Gonzaga vs Howard Post Game thoughts and analysis

Gonzaga U 107
    Howard 69

A REALLY great game by Zags. The starters didn't play the last ten minutes of the game so imagine what it could have been. I had concerns that the Zags wouldn't hit the 100 mark with the bench in, but they did. And Howard got so many of their points in the last ten minutes. The guys who are down at the end of the bench did not play D at all. The offense was ok.

The starters were so good tonight on defense. Zags and especially Melson completely shout down their Freshman star. The D for the Zags tonight was just so incredible. The Zags were so much taller than Howard and really didn't have a chance from the beginning. The Zags have so many offensively great players. There is no weak link at any position on the team. They hit 3 after 3, and there were many players who were knocking those down. Howard played zone for awhile but the Zags shot them out of it, Perkins was knocking them down again. Then Kispert took over, and then Norvell, then Melson. 3 after 3 was falling. Ninja shooters were just awesome tonight. Jesse Wade came in in the last ten minutes and hit 2 threes, and Norvell also was scoring with ease in the last ten minutes, That's when he did his damage. I don't think Tillie played much, which gave Larsen a lot of playing time tonight. And Larsen played great throwing one assist after another when Howard was doubling him. He also had a lot of rebounds.

The player of the night for me was Rui Hachimure. He threw down several dunks and two of them were crazy and absolutely incredible. He is as good a dunker as anyone in the NBA I think. He can run and is powerful in transition. The Zags played at a fast pace the first half which helped all of our dunkers: Rui, JW3. Tillie, Norvell, Kispert, and Larsen threw now some nice ones as well. Finaly once again the passing was absolutely beautiful for most of the night.

Prior to the season, I thou0ght the Zags might have a tough time in that PK80 tournament. This team has changed my mind. I'm quite sure we will do well, even though we have to play two top 10 teams in the nation.
    Way to go Zags.

Go Zags111
    Last edited by Reborn; 11-14-2017, 08:39 PM.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • GU69
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
    This team has changed my mind. I'm quite sure we will do well, even though we have to play two top 10 teams in the nation.
    Wow. They're changing my mind too. Now I want to see them against a good team, but they are looking pretty impressive so far.

Comment

• bballbeachbum
      Zag for Life
      • Dec 2008

Zags stretched the floor with all those shooters to create all that space and just digging the ball movement, everybody's doing it, not overdoing just playing some sweet unselfish basketball and so far hitting shots. that's always fun
      and something sweet brewing on the other end of the floor too, quick fast long athletic, with Larsen looking quick with his size, good feet and hands

Comment

• bballbeachbum
        Zag for Life
        • Dec 2008

Hey Reborn, Rui was exciting to watch again tonight and had a pretty good game defensively too mostly

Comment

• MDABE80
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

This team seems to better with each outing. Powerful plays with the youngsters improving. Howard is a bit light in competition but
          Last year we began with lighter teams but by the time league began whonwe played didn't matter. We just kept winning.!Larsen is much better than predicted and Rui is coming along nicely.

Comment

• zagsfanforlife
            Zag for Life
            • Jun 2007

Talked to my dad and he shared same sentiment as I️ did— certainly can’t wait to see what they can do verde a good team because wow they sure do look talented!

Comment

• Reborn
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by bballbeachbum View Post
              Hey Reborn, Rui was exciting to watch again tonight and had a pretty good game defensively too mostly
              Thanks. I thought so too. I voted him player of the game. You can read my analysis of him on that thread.

Comment

• GonzaGAW
                Zag for Life
                • Aug 2012

- ot perhaps, but still an observation, having been at both games.

- seems a team back with many players who played for a national championship would get a bit more love from fans and students.
                - yes the arena is full, but no pre game anticipation or excitement, the seats are about 1/2 empty, 8 minutes before tip off.
                - tonight I kid you not 1/3 to almost 1/2 of the kennel club was gone after the first half. I have never seen that before. (I get to maybe half dozen games a year).
                - I realize it was a blow out. I'm just not feeling and seeing the love and excitement I think this team deserves.

Comment

• Reborn
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2007

Five Zags in double figures: Norvell with 18, Kispert 13, Rui 12, JW3 had 12, Melson with ten and Josh with 9. Zags had 51 rebounds to 33 for Howard. JW3 with 9 and Rui with 6. JW3 almost had a double double on a a pretty lackluster night. 3 for 10 I think from the line. Zags only shot 51% from the line. They did shot 58% for the game and 40 from beyond the 3 pt line. They made a total of 14 threes. Jesse Wade got into the fun tonight and made 2 of 4 threes.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2008

This was a good bounce-back game for Norvell, who had a cruddy night last time. He can score points in a bunches. This was the guy I was expecting to see this year... almost. I think he can be more efficient with his shots and do even better. Aside from the scoring, he has a good handle and appears comfortable enough getting the Zags into their offense. It will be interesting to see if Wade takes over the backup PG role in the future as he gets more practice under his belt, but I noticed that Wade was playing off the ball when he was in there with Norvell. I really like Norvell's length out there, and he is quicker than I thought he would be. He has the tools to be a complete player.

Comment

• TheZagster
                      Bulldog Fan
                      • Jun 2014

Jesse made THREE out of six 3-pointers tonight

Comment

• MDABE80
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Yes he did! Hope his shoulder holds up. With Norvell, Jesse, Josh and Silas, we should be ok if growth continues.

Comment

• Zag79
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

This team is good, light years ahead of where they should be… Or where most teams are at this point to be fair. Howard lost their first two games by nine points at George Washington and Indiana, and Gonzaga beat them by nearly 40 while making it look easy. The defense is there, maybe quicker than last year. They are aggressive on offense, and really push the ball. They are efficient, very cohesive, and seem to have confidence in the lineup from top to bottom regardless of who is out there. Guys are stepping up and looking ever so ready for their turn to shine, and the depth is a nice surprise considering how much was lost after last year. It's going to be another special season, this team is definitely going to surprise some people!

Comment

• kitzbuel
                            • Feb 2007

Larsen's solid play and his 3-4 FT shooting will see him getting some good crunch time minutes in the future.
                            'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                            - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• tenniszag
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GonzaGAW View Post
                              - ot perhaps, but still an observation, having been at both games.

- seems a team back with many players who played for a national championship would get a bit more love from fans and students.
                              - yes the arena is full, but no pre game anticipation or excitement, the seats are about 1/2 empty, 8 minutes before tip off.
                              - tonight I kid you not 1/3 to almost 1/2 of the kennel club was gone after the first half. I have never seen that before. (I get to maybe half dozen games a year).
                              - I realize it was a blow out. I'm just not feeling and seeing the love and excitement I think this team deserves.
                              I agree, very disappointing regarding the Kennel Club. However I think it’s more of a generational thing that is happening throughout the country. Even Alabama football is having this issue wth their student section.

Comment

Working...
                              X