Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SMC/New Mexico State Aggies

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    Wow, as deep as we're not, their bench contribution was pretty underwhelming, according to the box score anyway.
    Hey, don't let facts get in the way of my narrative Pal !!

I know I am not a 'good' Gonzaga fan for saying this, but I actually really like Saint Mary's program (outside of scheduling) and root for them every chance I get. I should say that I started following Gonzaga basketball closely after the Samhan teams so I probably missed out on some of the most heated games in the rivalry. I'm probably one of the minority who thinks Saint Mary's should be in the conference this year out of respect to all that they have returning. Should be a great match-up this year. Imagine the WCC without Saint Mary's improbable rise to mid-major prominence, yuck...

Quote Originally Posted by adoptedzag View Post
    Landale doing Landale things, 2 fouls in 7 minutes against more athletic players. Off to the bench he goes. See you in the 2nd half.
    Same thing happened with Zach Collins last season and continues in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNation View Post
    but landale is a senior and should know better by now...he's too important to smc to get into foul trouble in big games.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada Don View Post
    Hey, don't let facts get in the way of my narrative Pal !!
    Wishing you and yours a great 2017–& college hoops season Nevada Don! No matter how snarky things may get around here at times, please keep joining us now & again. I enjoy your posts here and will be rooting for the Gaels vs every one of their opponents not named Gonzaga. Cheers!!
    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

...1) why was our first game a "patty cake" and GU's wasn't? Yet, multiple posts keep referring to it as such.
    Because the best 3 games on your schedule every year are Gonzaga, Gonzaga, and Gonzaga. Thats why everyone is hyper critical of your scheduling. You all are no better than the 4th or 5th game on our schedule most years, it has been nice having you all ranked and a lock for the tourney though. Lets hope that continues.

sigh....people that speak for " everyone" are "always" wrong....I can only speak for myself and I am not critical of the Gaels schedule, much less hyper critical.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Why does the Gael mascot look like Delly w/o the mouthpiece?
    because it is indeed Delly without a mouthpiece.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    sigh....people that speak for " everyone" are "always" wrong....I can only speak for myself and I am not critical of the Gaels schedule, much less hyper critical.
    I, personally, am critical of SMC's non-conference schedule mostly because it seems unfair to their players to deprive them of the opportunity to play against more talented and touted opponents. In the end, teams are measured by the RPI and win loss record. SMC will rack up a lot of wins and will have to rely on Gonzaga to keep their RPI or quality wins argument alive. However, it is a successful formula for them, so far.

On the flip side, I am not buying off on the criticism about SMC "never leaving the State of California before conference play" as a valid criticism. There are 24 Division 1 basketball programs in the State of California (according to Wikipedia)... opposed to Washington where there are only 5. Saint Mary's doesn't have to leave CA to find quality opponents. The teams they play in California is an entirely different story.

GO ZAGS!

Cool Impressions of the game...

...SMC played a good team and couldn't maintain a lead without Landale on the floor. The Zags are going to throw waves of bigs at Jock (J3, Killian, Jacob, Rui). Landale's going to foul, going to sit, and SMC is going to lose. (Still really like the Gaels, though.)

Did the Gaels bring in that 7-1 center they redshirted last year? Expected to see him play a lot, but don't remember seeing him. (Was switching back and forth between the SMC & USF games.)

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNation View Post
    He was coming off the bench as an energy guy, not a starter that his team depends on like Landale.

Strange how so many Zag fans seem to just be SMC fans in disguise lol... it's kind of embarrassing.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    Saint Mary's doesn't have to leave CA to find quality opponents. The teams they actually play in California is an entirely different story.

GO ZAGS!
    fixed it

SMC is holding themselves back and I dont like purposeful mediocrity. It is a known fact that the committee wants you to go play some people. They wont (documented that they only want teams to come to their high school gym), then ##### about being left out of the NCAAs. Its a trickle effect, a cause and effect of recruits want to play big games, big games get you places, getting you places brings in revenue, revenue should be used for upgrading the program. So far, the only revenue WCC teams get is from the forced share of the pot when GU brings it in and even then those teams dont ever seem to put that money into their program, not in a noticeable way anyhow. So no, SMC gets very little respect from me, many GU fans and, oh also most college basketball fans across the nation because of how they run their program.

But by all means, please keep winning, you are the only bright spot in being stuck in the WCC and with your always fresh and ready players from the continually easy games, one of the few teams that can give us some competition.

--- and slinking away from the soap box, passing the dropped microphone...

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    Wow, as deep as we're not, their bench contribution was pretty underwhelming, according to the box score anyway.
    SMC bench vs NMSt: 65 minutes, 21 pts, 14 rb, 3 ast

GU bench vs TSU: 58 minutes, 29 pts, 17 rb, 9 ast

As long as St Marys doesn't drop any games until they play us I am good. Keep winning and they will be "quality" wins on our resume for the dance.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    SMC looked good. Not frightening, but very good. Naar had a great night, Hermanson was very steady and productive. Lansdale played a good post and Neal did well.

That being said, NMSU didn't really play a great defensive game, and, aside from being hot from 3 in the first half, wasn't really able to maintain an offensive presence. I think the Zags defense is a few steps up, as is their offense.

I did almost blow beer out my nose when the announcers said the rest of the WCC was trying to keep up with Saint Mary's.
    Wait just one minute, are you saying that it’s ok to drink beer AND watch GU play?

and just to be that guy because it makes me smile...

and skip to 1:50:

Quote Originally Posted by TheGonzagaFactor View Post
    Strange how so many Zag fans seem to just be SMC fans in disguise lol... it's kind of embarrassing.

LOL ... I'm by no way a Saint Mary's fan, however, it's important to keep in mind that they are the only reason the WCC isn't the SWAC or Summit League (a one horse show). Without SMC, Gonzaga would deserve the criticism we routinely fight off.. that we play in a weak conference full of high school gymnasiums. The HS gymnasium part may never change but at least SMC will bring a respectable RPI to the conference with a healthy win loss record.

Bennett is a great coach, and a terrible scheduler. His kids deserve bigger games, but he seems unwilling to assume any risk. That, and the fact the he teaches illegal hip check high screens are my only complaints about SMC. I love watching them play and my personal opinion is if they went on the road they would win more "risk" games than they would lose. I bet they wax us at SMC and I think our home game is a toss up...I think SMC is for real this year (too bad bennett didn't schedule in a manner that would show them off to the rest of the country!)

Based off of the games I've seen I think SMC is the clear favorite to win the WCC. Landale is the toughest match up in the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by john montana View Post
    ...I bet they wax us at SMC ..
    “The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.”

Quote Originally Posted by mattydog73 View Post
    Just my opinion. They have shooting at every position and those shooters are usually pretty comfortable at home. I can see a barrage of 3's as we try to double Landale and they whip the ball around the perimeter for open looks...or Landale gets in foul trouble and our athleticism overwhelms their guards. I'd bet on the former if i had to put money on it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    SMC bench vs NMSt: 65 minutes, 21 pts, 14 rb, 3 ast

GU bench vs TSU: 58 minutes, 29 pts, 17 rb, 9 ast
    And by the way, SMC doesn't have a "bench". Apparently we have "folding chairs" so perhaps that might explain our less than stellar performance from our "folding chairs."

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    ...SMC played a good team and couldn't maintain a lead without Landale on the floor. The Zags are going to throw waves of bigs at Jock (J3, Killian, Jacob, Rui). Landale's going to foul, going to sit, and SMC is going to lose. (Still really like the Gaels, though.)

Did the Gaels bring in that 7-1 center they redshirted last year? Expected to see him play a lot, but don't remember seeing him. (Was switching back and forth between the SMC & USF games.)

The 7'1" RSF is Jock Perry. Note, most all of our future centers from Australia must be named "Jock." Jock2 played sparingly in both games. Our backup for Jock1 is junior Jordan Hunter.

I'm sure Jock1 is already scared and nervous about having to go against all the Zag Bigs. We'll try to calm him.

Cool

The 7'1" RSF is Jock Perry. Note, most all of our future centers from Australia must be named "Jock." Jock2 played sparingly in both games. Our backup for Jock1 is junior Jordan Hunter.

I'm sure Jock1 is already scared and nervous about having to go against all the Zag Bigs. We'll try to calm him.
    May I suggest a double serving of Vegemite?

Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Looks like it's gonna' be a long year, ND!

This space for rent.

I used to hate on SMC but don’t any more. I will say though that I don’t have any sympathy for them when they miss the tournament because they put all of their eggs in one basket every year. They are a good program that should make the tournament every year with an at-large bid, but they fail to show the rest of the country how good they really are by failing to play good teams in OOC portion of their schedule.

I am of the opinion that they should play a preseason tournament every year if they have a hard time finding good home-and-home opponents.