Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Score update CSU-GU

Default Score update CSU-GU

After leading 20-9 at the end of the first quarter the Zags have entered the "frigid zone". They are currently shooting 1-11 in the third quarter and have fallen behind 43-33. I'm pretty sure the 1st quarter score is correct. Only 13 points since the end of the first quarter.
    Every year Mark Few loses guys that you never heard of before they became a Zag and replaces them with guys you never heard of before they became a Zag. Jimmy Dykes-Maui Classic 2009

Every year Mark Few loses guys that you never heard of before they became a Zag and replaces them with guys you never heard of before they became a Zag. Jimmy Dykes-Maui Classic 2009

Although the reception is awful, I've been listening to Steve Myklebust's broadcast. The Zags got off to a great start and were up by 13 early on. The second quarter was all Colorado State, as they came back to take the lead by halftime. Cold shooting into the second half. Hope things get turned around.

48-38 CSU end of three

FWIW Idaho beat CSU 83-69 Friday night. Not sure if having a game under their belt helped CSU, but clearly GU did not play well this evening, losing 65-49.

If I'm reading the stats right, CSU lost @ home to Idaho last week by 14.

That being the case, I would have to consider this a bad loss!
    This space for rent.

Stats: http://www.sidearmstats.com/colstate/wbball/

Click on three parallel lines upper left corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 116 View Post
    Stats: http://www.sidearmstats.com/colstate/wbball/

Click on three parallel lines upper left corner.
    Yikes, The team stats are ugly. The way they lost......uggghhh!

Yup, nothing to like there. Bad shooting, bad rebounding, too many turnovers! Burn the tape!

The game was on the NCAA "Stadium" channel on slingTV (www.sling.com) and I got to watch it. The game was about as you'd expect. We started out hot but CSU adjusted and we didn't up our defensive effort. Overall a very bad game from everyone.

Real sad...

I hate to start the blame game but...
    When the WHOLE team played the way they did tonight... it starts at the top.

Go Zags !!

well, didn''t get to watch the game.. I see that there was very poor shooting....maybe it was the elevation..5000 ft.....

CSU will do well this year....why?....they play a vast majority of their games at home and a few others in Colorado near Denver...

I hate this schedule this year....we had a soft exhibition then go directly to a 5000ft elevation for our first big test...Montana is winnable, and then to Las Vegas.....not good...

hope the team pulls together..

Referring to my self prophecy about the keys to winning this season:

1. Shoot better than 40% overall - Today 26.7% - Fail
    2. Shoot better than 30% from 3 - Today 8.3% - Major Fail
    3. Keep turnovers below 12 - Today 10 - Pass
    4. Play 4 complete quarters - Complete quarters played today = 1 - Major Fail

Only "Z". CS and JW had overall shooting percentages over 40%. Everybody else was way, way worse. 2-24 on 3 point shooting is abysmal as a team. All contributed to this very forgettable number. And what is with the total of 5 assists for the game. Seems we did not play as a team very well at all.

Only 4 days to get it fixed before Montana coaches.

ZagDad

Bad #'s all around 84, but the 5 Assists really jumped out at me when I saw it. That's tough to do.
    This space for rent.

Told you all to pull in the reins. Just last week everybody wanted to hand this team the crown. Yeah Stockton, Stach, Loera, and Barta all stunk it up on the FG percentage tonight. I guess they were reading their clippings how great everyone was saying they were (LOL).

But hey Chandler, Rice, shot ok tonight, and Barta made a lot of free throws. Yeah I know it sucks to lose. But I would rather we got our butts kicked now before the regular season (Conference PLAY) and learn from it.

Ok I guess I will throw some pebbles but please take it as a grain of salt after it was only one game (CLF seemed to stick with the starters even when they stunk it up). Ok I feel bad now for even saying it LOL. But WOW looks like Barta was the only one to hit the boards tonight, where was everyone else? Perhaps we need to step up Townsend and Jenn Wirth playing time even more.

Losing early is good, lets the girls and coach know they still have a lot of work to do. Good competition can only make us better.

One game at a time Lady Zags.

That Was Awful! I drove up from Colorado Springs with my son and daughter (2 1/2 hours with bad commuter traffic due to the early start) and it definitely was not worth the effort. This is the first time I have ever seen a Zags team (men or women) lose when I attended the game. It is also the first time I have ever seen a Zags team not play hard and give effort. Not only did they shoot poorly, they seemed to lack the ability to execute any sort of offense other than a little dribble-weave action that CSU shut down in the second half. The Zags looked thoroughly unprepared and were out hustled all night . Jessie is the only perimeter player with enough quickness to stay with athletic guards and CSU isn't even very athletic. Several of the girls are out of shape (beyond just the altitude) and it was glaring. I was not impressed with the freshmen other than a few flashed from Townsend and Jenn. I am not saying the sky is falling, but things would have to improve dramatically for this team to reach the NCAAs. There really isn't much leadership on the team and very little fire. There was no sense of urgency, even when they were down double digits with less than 5 minutes to play. This was just an extremely disappointing performance and definitely the worst one I have ever witnessed as a Zag fan. Pick it up ladies!

Was able to watch intermittently during the first half. Was shocked when I saw the final score. I'm going to reserve on too much criticism since I didn't see the second half. However, what I did see was a team that came out like gang busters and looked confident. We couldn't do anything wrong for the first quarter. Then CSU made some adjustments and we could not answer. Seemed like we were passing and dribbling until there was only 5 seconds left, then had no good options to score. Shades of the GS years.

We have a team with some veterans, but lots of youth. We played a team with lots of veterans, at home at altitude. We now have stuff to work on. Let's see how the team, and the coaches, respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaglaw View Post
    Was able to watch intermittently during the first half. Was shocked when I saw the final score. I'm going to reserve on too much criticism since I didn't see the second half. However, what I did see was a team that came out like gang busters and looked confident. We couldn't do anything wrong for the first quarter. Then CSU made some adjustments and we could not answer. Seemed like we were passing and dribbling until there was only 5 seconds left, then had no good options to score. Shades of the GS years.

We have a team with some veterans, but lots of youth. We played a team with lots of veterans, at home at altitude. We now have stuff to work on. Let's see how the team, and the coaches, respond.
    I did notice that the twins had a very tenative game. They played like Freshman. Kept waiting for *someone* to do something. Barta just didn't have anything after the 1st quarter, they denied her the ball and when she did get the ball, had pressure from several different double teams. She didn't move the ball, and as a result forced a lot of shots. As far as Z goes, she did ok. She was forcing it on offense, but you can't blame her when none of her teammates could do anything after the 1st quarter. I felt she was a little lazy on defense, but that might have been that she was out of position a lot trying to make up for other's mistakes. It was often her who was closing out late on a 3pt shooter. I'm not schooled enough to know if she was not rotating well or was trying to guard two positions due to someone else not following up on their defensive assignment.

Overall, I think this team tried to shoot their way back into the game and never realized that if they ratchet up the defense, it can often spark offense via turnovers or transition. Not sure if that type of turnaround is in our DNA at this point.

I want to preface this by saying that I was only able to watch the first quarter, and the radio in the car did not constantly pick up the radio station carrying the game, so I have very limited first hand knowledge of the game after the 1st quarter. Some things are very evident.

- 5 assists indicates very little ball movement and passing around looking for the best shot. Lots of 1-on-1 shots taken.
    - We shoot our minimum shooting percentages of 40% overall or 30% from 3 we win.
    - We (and the coaches) know that JB is going to be double or triple teamed. Coaches, what are you going to do about it? You did not execute it last night very well.
    - JB has to be educated not to take the ball up against double and triple teams. Somebody has to be open, get them the ball.
    - "Z" (at least in the 1st quarter) was playing CSUs big (#35, 6'1") guard who had 25 pts against Idaho. This tended to pull her out away from the key on defense.
    - Seems to me that you should be getting the ball to the players shooting over 40% (CS, ZR & JW) instead of forcing it to JB (15%), or letting it fly from outside by LS (25%), JL (0%) & ES (16.7%).

First away game with very young players and at altitude, I am not ready to throw in the towel, but the coaching staff better have some different ideas come Friday or we will see 30 games of just what we saw on Monday.

ZagDad

Here is the Slipper Still Fits write-up on Monday's game.

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/201...colorado-state

ZagDad

Unfortunately, this is not entirely true. While CSU has won four (4) straight MWC titles in a row, this year CSU has one of the youngest teams in the country. They had one (1) D-1 game on Friday to Idaho which they lost. They lost primarily due to extremely poor shooting that they improved for game 2 against the Lady Zags.

Hopefully, we show similar improvement against Montana.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Unfortunately, this is not entirely true. While CSU has won four (4) straight MWC titles in a row, this year CSU has one of the youngest teams in the country.
    ZagDad
    Perhaps I over stated the experience. If the rosters for the 2 teams are correct, the Rams have an aggregate total of 8 freshmen and sophomores, which is comparable to the Zags. Both teams have 4 juniors. We have only 1 senior however compared to 3 seniors for CSU. Its the senior leadership that can make a difference. And somewhere in the vast internet universe, I did read an article talking about their experience level. Nonetheless, your point is well taken.

Perhaps I over stated the experience. If the rosters for the 2 teams are correct, the Rams have an aggregate total of 8 freshmen and sophomores, which is comparable to the Zags. Both teams have 4 juniors. We have only 1 senior however compared to 3 seniors for CSU. Its the senior leadership that can make a difference. And somewhere in the vast internet universe, I did read an article talking about their experience level. Nonetheless, your point is well taken.
    To be honest, while I looked in detail at the roster, I never actually took the time to count up the underclassmen and the upperclassmen on the CSU team. I went on what the CSU coach mentioned in an interview that while his previous teams (4 straight MWC championships) were experienced based teams, this year's team was one of the youngest in the country (and picked to finish 3rd in the MWC his year). Nice to see that the coach was not entirely untruthful. I will attempt to be more dilligent in my research in the future.

By the way, we only have one (1) senior on the court but two seniors on the team with both Emma's even though EW can't be on the court on game day I am sure she is at the practices and games providing support and wisdom to the younger players.

Thanks ZagLaw.

ZagDad

Luckily it's very early in the season, no reason to hit the panic button yet. I watched a few teams over the opening weekend. Some looked good, some looked bad, some in-between. How teams are playing now and how they are playing in March will probably differ greatly.

again, could not watch....we tried an online recorder "apowersoft" to try to record it online for me to watch later....total failure...it was a free version and now looking back the "free" version only lets you record for a short time....

anyway I think the loss is due to many things....but maybe its just a combination of unfortunate scheduling with a higher elevation......I'm sure the staff didn't want November to look like it does, but sometimes you have to bend a little to get home/home and I sure hope that's the case with CSU...

I felt very depressed seeing the results of the game, because I live and die Lady Zag bb, but it is what it is...I'm moving on...