Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who had/has the prettiest shot in Zag history?

Default Who had/has the prettiest shot in Zag history?

There has been a lot of good shooters come through the program...which Zag player has had the prettiest shot? Not looking for highest percentage shooter but in your opinion the best mechanically balanced shooter ( form ). A shooting form that would be a great example for young players to learn/duplicate.

Pangos or Richie Frahm come to mind. Both had great balance, ball position and follow through.

Pangos

pangos probably most fundamentally sound, but prettiest i would go with steven gray...

Burgess and then Pangos..and Gray
    Last edited by bartruff1; 11-12-2017 at 07:24 AM.

Courtney Vandersloot

Gray
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Frahm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If at first you don't succeed, try to solve the situation with a spud gun. ~Dwight Schrute~

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Pangos or Richie Frahm come to mind. Both had great balance, ball position and follow through.
    Wow... I saw the title of the thread and both names popped into my head before I even opened it up.

Definitely a tossup between these two... I'd give a slight, and it'd be very slight, edge to Richie.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Admit to being biased. Love both the Baby Hook and Karno.

Jesse Wade.

Hope he gets healed up to show it off soon.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Downs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually think Perkins has the prettiest shot from the waist up. His arm, elbow, wrist, and release are beautiful.

Below the waist, not so much. His side step, twist, makes the shot look off, yet his follow through up top is amazingly fluid and smooth.

I was a fan of Blake Stepp's 27 or 28 foot 3pt shots back in the day.

I respected Bankhead's ability to shoot within millimeters of the 3pt line. I honestly don't think he would have success in today's game with the extended line, as Kyle would literally line up RIGHT ON the old 3pt line. I could swear half his makes were 2pt shots.

Dickau had a floopy fun shot, but not pretty. It was just incredibly accurate. Kind of reminds me of Perkins honestly.

I though Jordan Mathews maybe had the ugliest shot and oddly high arching release, but it went in!

Frahm was very sound from his lift, set up, and release....problem was, it took a TON of energy and body movement to do it. He made a career in the NBA with it though, so there's that...

GBJ had an underrated shot. One of the most consistent shooters of all time, but rarely mentioned. His shot was quick and pretty. Very limited movement energy too.

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    Jesse Wade.

Hope he gets healed up to show it off soon.
    He will be on-and-off all season.

His shoulder injury would typically need full-time rehab or surgical intervention to help stabilize, yet its not quite bad enough to shut him down, nor is it healthy enough to allow him to practice or play consistently. Kinda stunting his development, but has shown flashes, esp his shooting and decision making.

Its one of those unfortunate injuries you play through until AFTER the season, and all season will be a gamble. He will be cleared some games/practices, and held from others as his shoulder continues to move on him.

As of right now, his shoulder is partially slipping out about every 3rd or 4th practice. It takes 24-48 hrs to settle down following subluxation, and regain full ROM, then he starts playing again. Repeat cycle.

Here is Wade in his own words following Texas So. game:

Wade said he continues to rehab his shoulder, but “it’s feeling a lot better than it was. It just comes out every once in a while.”
    per Jim Meehan twitter account.

Can't believe we got this far down the thread and no one mentioned Gary Bell, whose shot form was way prettier than Pangos. Gary's technique was perfect. He'd get very high elevation, shoot at the top of the jump, elbow in, hand in line with the shot - perfect, much like Frahm. Wade has a similar jump shot from what I've seen on tape.

I see how it can be blurred by the inexplicable sophmore season, frosh year had better % than Pangos, but he smoothed out nicely. His was near perfect.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Can't believe we got this far down the thread and no one mentioned Gary Bell, whose shot form was way prettier than Pangos. Gary's technique was perfect. He'd get very high elevation, shoot at the top of the jump, elbow in, hand in line with the shot - perfect, much like Frahm. Wade has a similar jump shot from what I've seen on tape.

I see how it can be blurred by the inexplicable sophmore season, frosh year had better % than Pangos, but he smoothed out nicely. His was near perfect.

Dixie, you musta missed my small exerpt above. I'm with ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    GBJ had an underrated shot. One of the most consistent shooters of all time, but rarely mentioned. His shot was quick and pretty. Very limited movement energy too.

Honorable mention: Killian Tillie...you forget that hes the size he is...his fluidity on ANY type of shot is amazing.

Reed Schifferman from the elbow and top of the key. He was the original "Big Smooooth".

I never saw Frank Burgess square up and fire but imagine he'd be in the conversation.
    gobroncsgozags: "Have a great day in the podunk, crap hole known as Roslyn."

Frank Burgess had a very unconventional shot motion. Frank held the ball over his head with his hands in the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions. He would pass or shoot from that grip on the ball. Once in a while Frank would look away from the hoop just before the shot. As I recall a San Francisco sports writer wrote a article on one of Frank's shots that was from the baseline where he had to arch the ball over the backboard in a game at USF.
    As a grade school kid at the time I remember trying to imitate the Burgess shot without much success.
    As for beauty of the motion I would say John Brodsky's (mid 1960's) shot would be hard to beat.

I think Gary Bell although when Pango's was on his was beautiful. I hope we get to see Jesse really shoot soon. I noticed him working his shoulder before he came in the game Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Dixie, you musta missed my small exerpt above. I'm with ya!
    I did miss it. Oops.

Nice to know that one of the real basketball people here noticed, too, and shared my thoughts.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Mathews and then ADAM. The prettiest 3 that I've ever seen by a Zag player was Mathew's made 3 at the end of the West Virginia game in the NCAA tornament last year. The next most beautiful 3, and if this shot had been made in the NCAA tournament it would be the prettiest, was Morrison's three off the glass agaiust Oklahoma St in the Battle in Seattle. I was at the game and I was just totally going crazy after that shot, and so was everyone in the arena. However, if I had been at that WV game I was the craziest I have ever been (even though I was with my two sons in my living room). I will NEVER EVER forget that most beautiful 3. I Also believe when describing the most beautiful 3 that one thing that must be considered is the degree of importance. A shot under pressure. These two were definitely made UNDER PRESSURE.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Bankhead. I wanted to post him earlier but couldn’t remember the name. And I can’t speak to the mechanics of his shot, but I just remember thinking it would go in every time he put it up. Also agree with Gary Bell Jr., one of my all time favorites.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Don't disagree with any of the answers so far. Drew Barham is my choice for an under the radar answer. Great shot base, super balanced, limited extra movement, quick release, repeatable motion. Not much more you can ask for in a jump shot.

Shouldn't the best shot be the one with the most success? Burgess #1 and Morrison #2