• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thespywhozaggedme
    Banned
    • Feb 2007

Anyone else as impressed with Larsen as I was

First real action in 2 years and looked great; excellent poise and footwork, great post moves, made a great block that was unfortunately called a foul. He had 9/7 in 7 minutes and looked great doing it. To me he looked like what I would imagine a young in shape Karno to look like. Another great "big" in a long line of 'em here at GU!
  • willandi
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    First real action in 2 years and looked great; excellent poise and footwork, great post moves, made a great block that was unfortunately called a foul. He had 9/7 in 7 minutes and looked great doing it. To me he looked like what I would imagine a young in shape Karno to look like. Another great "big" in a long line of 'em here at GU!
    I agree. 7 minutes, 9 points and 6-7 boards. Given a little seasoning, learning NCAA/WCC basketball and he will be a valuable player for the Zags, our starting center next year.
    Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• demian
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Feb 2007

agreed

Comment

• BULLDOG#1
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • Aug 2011

yup

Comment

• Zagdawg
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Nailed it

Comment

• Goshzagit
            Zag for Life
            • Dec 2007

raw skills. a bit tentative and seems to favor his healthy knee.

he will come around. showed some grit, and smooth shooting stroke.

a lot to work with, but far from build around at this juncture.

it will be neat to see him development and begin to trust his knee again. it was a significant tear/injury. only a year removed.

great to have him, and expect some big time strength and muscle to continue to happen for him. His size is obvious compared to our thin guys this year.

Comment

• cggonzaga
              Zag for Life
              • Mar 2007

Played much better in exhibition game. I was impressed how he responded after playing so poorly in the first half. Staff was not happy with those minutes. He came back in with about 6 minutes to go in the game and showed he took to the coaching he received at half. His stats didn’t hurt after he rebounded about 5 of Norvell’s misses. I think Larsen will be a solid backup in due time.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                Banned
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Goshzagit View Post
                raw skills. a bit tentative and seems to favor his healthy knee.

he will come around. showed some grit, and smooth shooting stroke.

a lot to work with, but far from build around at this juncture.

it will be neat to see him development and begin to trust his knee again. it was a significant tear/injury. only a year removed.

great to have him, and expect some big time strength and muscle to continue to happen for him. His size is obvious compared to our thin guys this year.
                I didn't see anything in his game that was raw at all. In fact, I was surprised how polished he was, he didn't panic and always made the right decision. He played great and was anything but raw.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cggonzaga View Post
                  Played much better in exhibition game. I was impressed how he responded after playing so poorly in the first half. Staff was not happy with those minutes. He came back in with about 6 minutes to go in the game and showed he took to the coaching he received at half. His stats didn’t hurt after he rebounded about 5 of Norvell’s misses. I think Larsen will be a solid backup in due time.
                  Please tell me how he played "poorly"? He was 3/4 from the field and 3/4 from the line. He did had 2 t.o.'s but that's not unexpected. I think he played way better than I anticipated.

Comment

• GrizZAG
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2009

Can he become more aggressive once he feels more confident? His size and hands alone would sure be great against opposing bigs. I think we have a hidden gem here.
                    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

• cggonzaga
                      Zag for Life
                      • Mar 2007

Please tell me how he played "poorly"? He was 3/4 from the field and 3/4 from the line. He did had 2 t.o.'s but that's not unexpected. I think he played way better than I anticipated.
                      Go back and watch minutes in first half. I was at the game and Few was not happy with him. Don’t believe he recorded a stat. He didn’t play again until about 6 minutes to go in the game and played much better.

Comment

• Goshzagit
                        Zag for Life
                        • Dec 2007

I didn't see anything in his game that was raw at all. In fact, I was surprised how polished he was, he didn't panic and always made the right decision. He played great and was anything but raw.
                        Spy, I agree with you about Larsen as a solid player and contributor this season, and has a terrific upside.

You must be referring to the final 2:30 of the game.

Larsen was matched up against a 6'4" guard on offense and that's not a joke or exaggeration.

He displayed some nice footwork on his pivots and even scored some put backs, and from the foul line.

He was mechanical doing these moves vs a player nearly a foot shorter. He should overpower him but I agree, he featured a couple good moves.

Did you watch him vs their 2 (and only) bigs in the 1st half? Very slow to react to play, or the offense, of his moves. More difficult setting up and was very slow to react to rebounds while actually being boxed out in 1st half, or help defense. He was pulled quickly as a result.

This isn't being hard on him, rather reality.

Speed of the game and relearning his body playing at a high level will take time.

Since he only had a handful of practices vs Karno or Collins last season, he has YET to face anyone his size, and he was quickly swallowed up vs their 7'2" guy.

That said, I'm just as excited as you to see him develop this season, as we are going to need his presence, size, & relative skills.

He showed flashes yet in the last minute of the game he was being defended by a guard.

Comment

• willandi
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by cggonzaga View Post
                          Go back and watch minutes in first half. I was at the game and Few was not happy with him. Don’t believe he recorded a stat. He didn’t play again until about 6 minutes to go in the game and played much better.
                          Don't be silly! He had minutes played, and that's a stat!
                          Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• whatazag
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

What I really like is he seems to have a good understanding of where to be on the floor, which leads to being able to get easy baskets on offense and box out and get rebounds on defense.

Comment

• soccerdud
                              Zag for Life
                              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Goshzagit View Post
                              Spy, I agree with you about Larsen as a solid player and contributor this season, and has a terrific upside.

You must be referring to the final 2:30 of the game.

Larsen was matched up against a 6'4" guard on offense and that's not a joke or exaggeration.

He displayed some nice footwork on his pivots and even scored some put backs, and from the foul line.

He was mechanical doing these moves vs a player nearly a foot shorter. He should overpower him but I agree, he featured a couple good moves.

Did you watch him vs their 2 (and only) bigs in the 1st half? Very slow to react to play, or the offense, of his moves. More difficult setting up and was very slow to react to rebounds while actually being boxed out in 1st half, or help defense. He was pulled quickly as a result.

This isn't being hard on him, rather reality.

Speed of the game and relearning his body playing at a high level will take time.

Since he only had a handful of practices vs Karno or Collins last season, he has YET to face anyone his size, and he was quickly swallowed up vs their 7'2" guy.

That said, I'm just as excited as you to see him develop this season, as we are going to need his presence, size, & relative skills.

He showed flashes yet in the last minute of the game he was being defended by a guard.
                              heckuva post.

Comment

Working...
                              X