ahaha, bmike just savage on the interview there

Quote Originally Posted by whatazag View Post
    ahaha, bmike just savage on the interview there
    It's true though.

11 turnovers in a half is not good.

Josh playing lights out. Jazz and Abe are gnashing their teeth. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by GU69 View Post
    11 turnovers in a half is not good.
    serious note, who is going to rebound on this team?

JWIII and Tillie are playing away from the hoop a ton.

Larsen is slow footed and tentative on his knee, but has nice hands.

Rui is big and bad, but rarely in the right position.

Rebounds are a HUGE concern, pun intended.

Half Time Stats: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=191695

Not missing Heister & Dickau, FWIW. . .

Williams and Tillie with half of GU's 27 boards. . .

Basketball Web Sites Listing

“ We tend to forget in times of reversal that life without risk is endless rehearsal.” -- Fran J. Polek

The team is a wreck when Josh Perkins leaves the game. The team really, really, really needs Jesse Wade to get well and develop quickly. They need a true backup point guard. Silas or someone else isn't the answer.

I'm sorry, but for all his athleticism and so-called potential, I literally tighten my arms on the arm chair on the seat in the living room when Rui Hachimura is in the game. Just one bad decision after the next while he's playing. I still feel he should've redshirted last season.

among other areas, NWG's 6 rebs per game will be sorely missed from the guard position.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Josh playing lights out. Jazz and Abe are gnashing their teeth. LOL
    No and that's bullchit. A good shooting guard. Just not a superior PG. get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    The team is a wreck when Josh Perkins leaves the game. The team really, really, really needs Jesse Wade to get well and develop quickly.
    Perkins has clearly and obviously worked on his ball handling this off-season. Wow. effortless and quick with the ball, seamless dribble moves, no one else like him on our team from the PG position. Even Josh has a history of shoulder issues.

Wade's health is going to be a question mark all season.

His shoulder issues aren't bad enough to be ruled out, but also not stable enough to string together consistent practices.

Subluxes, then out for a practice or two while it calms down, then practices a few, then shifts on him again. Repeat.

He will get an opportunity, but his health will fight against his rapid development.

Oh yeah, and that Corey Kispert is pretty good.

Few has NEVER had a player quite like him as head coach. A NBA-sized small forward with explosive athleticism and an ability to play on both ends. The key thing with Corey is he isn't your typical GU small forward: he's 6-7, and athletic. And way more skilled than Erroll Knight offensively, which is the only comparison I can come up with. Of course Adam was terrible on defense and never had Corey's athleticism.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    No and that's bullchit. A good shooting guard. Just not a superior PG. get it right.
    Here we go again

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Perkins has clearly and obviously worked on his ball handling this off-season. Wow. effortless and quick with the ball, seamless dribble moves, no one else like him on our team from the PG position. Even Josh has a history of shoulder issues.

Wade's health is going to be a question mark all season.

His shoulder issues aren't bad enough to be ruled out, but also not stable enough to string together consistent practices.

Subluxes, then out for a practice or two while it calms down, then practices a few, then shifts on him again. Repeat.

He will get an opportunity, but his health will fight against his rapid development.
    Not good news. Expect Perks to play a TON of minutes. His body could shut down near the end of WCC play when Gonzaga has to win at BYU to keep up with SMC.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    The team is a wreck when Josh Perkins leaves the game. The team really, really, really needs Jesse Wade to get well and develop quickly. They need a true backup point guard. Silas or someone else isn't the answer.

I'm sorry, but for all his athleticism and so-called potential, I literally tighten my arms on the arm chair on the seat in the living room when Rui Hachimura is in the game. Just one bad decision after the next while he's playing. I still feel he should've redshirted last season.
    Agree. Both Rui and Norvell seem like players w/o a position. OTOH, Kispert is in the right spot all the time. Melson looks flat, too.

And I think it is JW3 that is looking lost tonight. Why didn't he fill that post on the pass Rui tried to make to him? On the next play he failed to seal his guy or come back to the pass and Perkins got the turnover. He had a pass that hit him in the hands that he dropped out of bounds. He is not good from the free throw line. He seems to be pumping and pivoting about three times too many every play.

I'm loving Perkins, Melson, Kispert and Tillie though. Maybe my expectations for JW3 were not calibrated properly.

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    And I think it is JW3 that is looking lost tonight. Why didn't he fill that post on the pass Rui tried to make to him? On the next play he failed to seal his guy or come back to the pass and Perkins got the turnover. He had a pass that hit him in the hands that he dropped out of bounds. He is not good from the free throw line. He seems to be pumping and pivoting about three times too many every play.

I'm loving Perkins, Melson, Kispert and Tillie though. Maybe my expectations for JW3 were not calibrated properly.
    JW3 has a HUGE adjustment to make this year. Last year he primarily played opposite a massive, great-passing, and incredibly court aware big man who demanded all sorts of attention. Williams III is super talented but will need time to adapt to a very different role.

After what I'd read on this board about what Rui did over the summer I was expecting more from him. So far he looks a lot like last year to me.

Quote Originally Posted by GU69 View Post
    After what I'd read on this board about what Rui did over the summer I was expecting more from him. So far he looks a lot like last year to me.
    he still did what he did last summer

i don't think he's looking so bad, not NBA but not bad

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan24 View Post
    JW3 has a HUGE adjustment to make this year. Last year he primarily played opposite a massive, great-passing, and incredibly court aware big man who demanded all sorts of attention. Williams III is super talented but will need time to adapt to a very different role.
    Yeah, that's fair.

On Rui, 11 points in 15 minutes, some good aggressive plays. Nice motion when the ball goes to another post guy. I think he's light years ahead of where he was.

And now Williams is playing a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    On Rui, 11 points in 15 minutes, some good aggressive plays. Nice motion when the ball goes to another post guy. I think he's light years ahead of where he was.
    OK, good. My feed isn't very good so I'm not seeing everything. What I did see was: (1) great moves in open court and one on one, but (2) confusion about position. However, as I said, my feed isn't very good so I'm missing a lot. Glad to hear he's better than I was seeing.

From the boxscore, it looks like J3 hasn't solved his free throw shooting woes.

It's the first game and a lot of new guys playing together. I think they'll be a fun team to watch and do pretty well this year.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus