Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UCLA players arrested- OT

More revolting than the theft of the LV merchandise is the emerging possibility the three will skate on the charges. Global institutions such as UCLA have powerful friends in high places everywhere. Sad if this is what ensues in the case of the contraband monogrammed, overpriced crap that is LV.

SHANGHAI -- Three UCLA men's basketball players -- including LiAngelo Ball, the younger brother of? Los Angeles Lakers rookie Lonzo Ball - were released on bail early Wednesday morning in Hangzhou, China, after being arrested for shoplifting Tuesday afternoon, just days before Friday's season-opening game against Georgia Tech in Shanghai, a source told ESPN.

The three players, a group that also included freshmen Cody Riley and Jalen Hill, were questioned about stealing from a Louis Vuitton store next to the team's hotel in Hangzhou, where the Bruins had been staying before leaving for Shanghai on Wednesday.

"The players were treated with the utmost respect, kindness and professionalism at all times by the Hangzhou police," the source, who had firsthand knowledge of the release, told ESPN. "The players questioned were respectful at all times. None of this was confrontational."

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    More revolting than the theft of the LV merchandise is the emerging possibility the three will skate on the charges. Global institutions such as UCLA have powerful friends in high places everywhere. Sad if this is what ensues in the case of the contraband monogrammed, overpriced crap that is LV.

SHANGHAI -- Three UCLA men's basketball players -- including LiAngelo Ball, the younger brother of? Los Angeles Lakers rookie Lonzo Ball - were released on bail early Wednesday morning in Hangzhou, China, after being arrested for shoplifting Tuesday afternoon, just days before Friday's season-opening game against Georgia Tech in Shanghai, a source told ESPN.

The three players, a group that also included freshmen Cody Riley and Jalen Hill, were questioned about stealing from a Louis Vuitton store next to the team's hotel in Hangzhou, where the Bruins had been staying before leaving for Shanghai on Wednesday.

"The players were treated with the utmost respect, kindness and professionalism at all times by the Hangzhou police," the source, who had firsthand knowledge of the release, told ESPN. "The players questioned were respectful at all times. None of this was confrontational."

I do believe this will just be a "slap-on-the-wrist" as this was just boys being boys...I hope not but D1 Athletics is all about money and UCLA is a true blue blood...again, jmho

Go Zags

Spin control already in full swing. Hopefully Alford and UCLA show some spine and at least suspend all 3 players for multiple games. I wish the Bruins had a game at Duke this season; it’d be fun to see what kind of taunting the Cameron Crazies would engage in!
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I do believe this will just be a "slap-on-the-wrist" as this was just boys being boys...I hope not but D1 Athletics is all about money and UCLA is a true blue blood...again, jmho

Go Zags

Bo, I am afraid you're right. The story seems trending that way. ESPN has stayed away from it like the plague. PTI boys buried it. Goodman is lone wolf on this and he seems to have been muffled somewhat. UCLA is powerful, yes, but so is Mr. Nike in China and one Pac 12 washes the hand of another. Sad, but carry on.

One reason, ESPN boss Iger is close, very close to UCLA hoops ..."The UCLA Anderson School of Management honored Walt Disney Co. chairman and CEO Robert Iger with its 2013 John Wooden Global Leadership Award on Nov. 21 at a gala celebration in Beverly Hills. The award, named for legendary UCLA basketball coach, author and leadership expert John Wooden (1910–2010), is given each year to an exceptional individual in corporate America whose leadership style and service to the community reflect the same high benchmarks of performance, integrity and ethical virtues set by Wooden."

Too bad Sam Gilbert is dead. Wonder how Mumbles Walton will spin tuurrible news?
    Mumbles (Let go of my Ego) Walton....

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Spin control already in full swing. Hopefully Alford and UCLA show some spine and at least suspend all 3 players for multiple games. I wish the Bruins had a game at Duke this season; it’d be fun to see what kind of taunting the Cameron Crazies would engage in!
    Doubt it, Alford defended a player who committed a sexual assault when at Iowa, doubt he will do anymore than what he is forced to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    11 cheers for binary!

"Make me a sandwich"
    "Make it yourself"
    "Sudo Make me a sandwich"
    "Okay"

My how times have changed, Louis Viton ??? Doesn't that stuff cost thouseands ???

Back in the 60s there were a couple basketball players at Gonzaga who used to shoplift at some war surplus store on Division....those kids never paid to see a movie as they knew how to sneak in a side door exit and scatter.....

I can remember on several occasions that we would simply walk into the kitchen of the best hotels in town and help ourselves to whatever we wanted to eat and the help never once questioned us..... just pretend like you belong there.... we never got caught doing that stuff, but we did get arrested a couple times for minor in position and trashing a motel room....nothing was ever mentioned in the media..... the Dean got us off...

Young and dumb and full of.....well you know... I can't cast any stones...

some war surplus store on Division
    "The White Elephant", I used to love that place when i was a kid.
    In the late 60's or early 70's there was a viral outbreak of "tennis shoeing the bill" in Spokaloo. The outbreak included students from all the local institutions of higher learning. In response the city passed an ordinance with much harsher penalties and put a damper on the outbreak. IIRC, the Pine Shed on Division was hit with an unusually high number of the crimes.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    My how times have changed, Louis Viton ??? Doesn't that stuff cost thouseands ???

Back in the 60s there were a couple basketball players at Gonzaga who used to shoplift at some war surplus store on Division....those kids never paid to see a movie as they knew how to sneak in a side door exit and scatter.....

I can remember on several occasions that we would simply walk into the kitchen of the best hotels in town and help ourselves to whatever we wanted to eat and the help never once questioned us..... just pretend like you belong there.... we never got caught doing that stuff, but we did get arrested a couple times for minor in position and trashing a motel room....nothing was ever mentioned in the media..... the Dean got us off...

Nice expiation, Bart. But doesn't move the needle for me on the UCLA jerks.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    I will bite.......a criminal act far different than dumb stuff
    can’t be both?

The fact that Lavar has been told to STFU makes me think that this is being resolved and that no one is going to jail...

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    can’t be both?
    not for me criminal act involves the element of intent which is far past "dumb stuff" in my book....they formed the intent to steal, apparently, before they went into the store and acted as a concerted group to facilitate that crime......that aint dumb stuff for me that is simply a criminal
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

The fact that Lavar has been told to STFU makes me think that this is being resolved and that no one is going to jail...
    Good analysis......a slap on the wristband and back to the big biz of blue blood BB.

Is it true three Pacific Tiger players are being exchanged for the Bruin Three?
    Last edited by BoZarth; 11-08-2017 at 10:59 AM.

I suspect none of your dumb stuff was done in a major rival country with whom the US is negotiating at the highest levels to deter nuclear war.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Strongly disagree. If UCLA, or the Pac-12, or Phil Knight can intervene and keep three stupid kids from spending 3+ years in a Chinese prison, that would be a good thing. A good scare in China, followed by meaningful punishment from UCLA seems like the right level to me. Now, if they get out of China without jail time and UCLA doesn't impose a significant suspension, I will agree with you that they got off too easy. But Chinese prison time? That's too much to wish on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
    Strongly disagree. If UCLA, or the Pac-12, or Phil Knight can intervene and keep three stupid kids from spending 3+ years in a Chinese prison, that would be a good thing. A good scare in China, followed by meaningful punishment from UCLA seems like the right level to me. Now, if they get out of China without jail time and UCLA doesn't impose a significant suspension, I will agree with you that they got off too easy. But Chinese prison time? That's too much to wish on them.
    I said skate. Wait for it. By the start of the pac 12 season no one, least of all ESPN announcers will be able to recall this even happened. Of course I wish no midnight express on them

Chinese students enrolled in US colleges....could be a mitigating circumstance in resolving this issue quietly....

China remains the dynamo of global-student mobility, at times driving up international enrollments all by itself. In 2013-14, Chinese students accounted for almost 60 percent of the foreign-student growth at American colleges. Think about it this way: One of every three international students in the United States holds a Chinese passport.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/01/e...-colleges.html

I said skate. Wait for it. By the start of the pac 12 season no one, least of all ESPN announcers will be able to recall this even happened. Of course I wish no midnight express on them
    Now THAT was a tough outing (for Billy Hayes).

This is an embarrassment for the USA. These players were ambassadors of goodwill and blew it. I know they are young, and should be forgiven their foolishness, but it is still a stain on our country.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I suspect none of your dumb stuff was done in a major rival country with whom the US is negotiating at the highest levels to deter nuclear war.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    Well that is true, but I still did dumb stuff all over Western Europe and Mexico.... four of us got in a brawl in Mexico and got thrown in prison...not jail....prison...but the warden was a crook and the prosecutor was a crook and we got out on bail to the tune of $30,000 in todays dollars and jumped bail and snuck across the border at Nogales where we got caught by the US Border Patrol.

The good news is that they didn't send us back to Mexico and we were able to cancel the checks we wrote in Mexico..

I don't think these boy's dumb stuff will have any effect on the possibility of a nuclear war....there are a lot dumber people conducting those talks for us..

My only question regarding these "young adults" is whether they get to keep the stuff they stole...I mean these "young adults" had to spend time in jail so the least the Chinese could do is let them keep the "knock-off" LV stuff...

They knew they were not stealing candy bars. It would probably be a felony here. Now if they receive legal aide would that be considered illegal aide or contributions by the NCAA?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    There is little doubt these three kids are not “rocket scientists” for pulling such a stupid stunt. I feel bad for the parents - even Ball Sr., because all parents hope their off spring have learned from previous lessons and won’t makes this type of serious mistakes.

If these three are in fact guilty of these charges, then I wonder how the school will react, will they pull their scholarships or just suspend them a game or two?
    From the article doesn't this say volumes about at least one of the parents? Emphasis mine.
    Asked if he was about LiAngelo, LaVar said, "He'll be fine. He'll be fine. Everybody making it a big deal. It ain't that big of a deal."
    Maybe I am too strict but if my kid did something like that it would be a big deal.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO

E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.