Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UCLA players arrested- OT

Default UCLA players arrested- OT

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/cali...455920553.html

And let the snarky comments begin!

kids .....they can and will do dumb stuff now and then...careful throwing stones

Karma, but unfortunately for dad.

I’m just gonna try and slide this in as casually as I can...

Maybe when you are three feet taller than everyone else you’re around, you might want to realize it’s hard to be sneaky.

I did plenty of dumb stuff as a kid, so you know, I get it, but really, student athletes at prestigious schools need to hold themselves to a higher standard. I say the same thing every time one of our players does something dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    kids .....they can and will do dumb stuff now and then...careful throwing stones
    Somehow shoplifting, if true, while in a foreign country (a communist one at that) with your high prolfe scholarship UCLA teammates strikes me as a lot more serious and stupid than just “kids doing dumb stuff”. On the other hand, when they get treated like rockstars from the time they are 12 years old or so just because they are great basketball players maybe we shouldn’t be surprised when they behave as if the rules don’t apply to them.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Too bad Sam Gilbert is dead. Wonder how Mumbles Walton will spin tuurrible news?

There is a big (and I mean a really big) difference between doing "dumb" stuff in the US and doing the same "dumb" stuff in a foreign country, Western or not.

Remember the Amanda Knox story in Italy. The vast majority of US lawyers who were interviewed thought there was little to no substance to the Italian police accusations. However she was still convicted, vindicated a couple of times and spent 4 years in jail before her final appeal was granted and she was found innocent. Yes this was a murder issue but it also was a Western Nation with good ties with the US. Getting in trouble with any foreign nation is not a good idea, to say the least.

In 1980, I spent a month in Europe with 47 other college students on a guided tour. Some of our tour was in Eastern Europe (Czech, East Germany, Berlin). The first day we landed in London, our 26 year old, Austrian tour guide told our entire group, "for the next month, you are not in America, you do not have American rights. You need to be aware of the rules and regulations of the countries we are traveling. If you get in trouble with the authorities in Eastern Europe, the amount of assistance the tour company and the US Embassy may be very minimal. The tour was constantly hassled by the Czech border guards and East German police. Shut up, say yes sir, no sir, thank you sir and be grateful that the only negative memories weres a few hours of harassment.

Ten years ago, my wife spent several days in Shanghai working for the American School. She was given an extensive list of things and places you could and could not do/go. The participants in the workshop were told they really, really did not want to get involved with the local police.

Hopefully, the school informed the players of the issues of breaking the law in China and the players simply ignored the instructions.

Hope the players will not have to pay too big a penalty for their transgressions, but a few days in a Chinese Jail, will probably straighten the players out.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    There is a big (and I mean a really big) difference between doing "dumb" stuff in the US and doing the same "dumb" stuff in a foreign country, Western or not.

Remember the Amanda Knox story in Italy. The vast majority of US lawyers who were interviewed thought there was little to no substance to the Italian police accusations. However she was still convicted, vindicated a couple of times and spent 4 years in jail before her final appeal was granted and she was found innocent. Yes this was a murder issue but it also was a Western Nation with good ties with the US. Getting in trouble with any foreign nation is not a good idea, to say the least.

In 1980, I spent a month in Europe with 47 other college students on a guided tour. Some of our tour was in Eastern Europe (Czech, East Germany, Berlin). The first day we landed in London, our 26 year old, Austrian tour guide told our entire group, "for the next month, you are not in America, you do not have American rights. You need to be aware of the rules and regulations of the countries we are traveling. If you get in trouble with the authorities in Eastern Europe, the amount of assistance the tour company and the US Embassy may be very minimal. The tour was constantly hassled by the Czech border guards and East German police. Shut up, say yes sir, no sir, thank you sir and be grateful that the only negative memories weres a few hours of harassment.

Ten years ago, my wife spent several days in Shanghai working for the American School. She was given an extensive list of things and places you could and could not do/go. The participants in the workshop were told they really, really did not want to get involved with the local police.

Hopefully, the school informed the players of the issues of breaking the law in China and the players simply ignored the instructions.

Hope the players will not have to pay too big a penalty for their transgressions, but a few days in a Chinese Jail, will probably straighten the players out.

ZagDad
    This is horrible on multiple levels.

I made 32 trips to China in 2 1/2 years shortly after she opened her doors to the West.

While things may have changed in the last 40 years .... you still don't want to get caught violating the law over there. This one may not end well. Perhaps not as bad an ending as Otto Warmbeir swiping a poster off a wall in North Korea ... but I don't feel good about this ... at all.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    This is horrible on multiple levels.

I made 32 trips to China in 2 1/2 years shortly after she opened her doors to the West.

While things may have changed in the last 40 years .... you still don't want to get caught violating the law over there. This one may not end well. Perhaps not as bad an ending as Otto Warmbeir swiping a poster off a wall in North Korea ... but I don't feel good about this ... at all.
    Or as bad as getting caned in Singapore.
    It's not funny.

I guess we can all agree on one thing the US Gov't isn't going to come to the rescue for these three and that they will be sitting in jail for a minimum of 60 days. The media is reporting they found Louis Vuitton items in all three player's suitcases which is really damning for them.

Stealing is never "dumb stuff."

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by SWZag View Post
    Stealing is never "dumb stuff."
    I'll bite.....what would you call it?

Reports yahoo.

If standard practices are applied, the three UCLA basketball players – including LiAngelo Ball – arrested Tuesday in mainland China under suspicion of shoplifting face between three and 10 years in prison if convicted, according a lawyer familiar with Chinese law who communicated with Yahoo Sports on the condition of anonymity because he doesn’t want to speak out about the Chinese government.

The three men could be detained for more than a month without American-style bail before local prosecutors even decide whether to press charges, according to William Nee, a Hong Kong-based researcher of the Chinese court system for Amnesty International.

Nee said it is not uncommon for a defendant to wait 30-37 days before being officially indicted. Among those indicted, Chinese prosecutors enjoy a 99.2 percent conviction rate, according to Nee’s research.

While it is unknown exactly what the players are being detained for, Chinese law calls for a fine and between three to 10 years in prison for anyone convicted of “robbing public or private property using force, coercion, or other methods.”

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Reports yahoo.

If standard practices are applied, the three UCLA basketball players – including LiAngelo Ball – arrested Tuesday in mainland China under suspicion of shoplifting face between three and 10 years in prison if convicted, according a lawyer familiar with Chinese law who communicated with Yahoo Sports on the condition of anonymity because he doesn’t want to speak out about the Chinese government.

The three men could be detained for more than a month without American-style bail before local prosecutors even decide whether to press charges, according to William Nee, a Hong Kong-based researcher of the Chinese court system for Amnesty International.

Nee said it is not uncommon for a defendant to wait 30-37 days before being officially indicted. Among those indicted, Chinese prosecutors enjoy a 99.2 percent conviction rate, according to Nee’s research.

While it is unknown exactly what the players are being detained for, Chinese law calls for a fine and between three to 10 years in prison for anyone convicted of “robbing public or private property using force, coercion, or other methods.”
    While I feel sorry for the kids, if they did the crime, they should have known better.

I don't imagine the senior Ball's bluster will change what the Chinese do or don't do.

I can't foresee the NCAA sending any more teams to China for any reason, any time soon.
    It's not funny.

Severe ! Lucky these boys aren't in Iran. Hard to ply bball with one hand. Somebody must have filled these kids in. Horrible episode.
    Last edited by MDABE80; 11-08-2017 at 12:16 AM.

There is little doubt these three kids are not “rocket scientists” for pulling such a stupid stunt. I feel bad for the parents - even Ball Sr., because all parents hope their off spring have learned from previous lessons and won’t makes this type of serious mistakes.

If these three are in fact guilty of these charges, then I wonder how the school will react, will they pull their scholarships or just suspend them a game or two?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    There is little doubt these three kids are not “rocket scientists” for pulling such a stupid stunt. I feel bad for the parents - even Ball Sr., because all parents hope their off spring have learned from previous lessons and won’t makes this type of serious mistakes.

If these three are in fact guilty of these charges, then I wonder how the school will react, will they pull their scholarships or just suspend them a game or two?
    Will the NCAA put the 5 years to play 4 in abeyance for the time out of country?
    It's not funny.

Some people said nothing could get Big Ball Daddy to be quiet...........

Arash Markazi‏Verified account @ArashMarkazi 57m57 minutes ago
    LaVar Ball said he has been advised by council not to speak “due to the legal nature of the matter.” He had previously scheduled a press conference for 10:45 am from his hotel suite in Shanghai.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post

ZagDad

Good advice. I traveled Western Europe quite a bit with family growing up and in school.

Also spent a good volume of time in China helping design / building plants for computer chip fab.
    The company was VERY clear. Especially to those engineers who had any kind of military work on their resume. Be careful. You are probably being monitored.

Travel to China. That's OK. Good people there.....better behave yourself though.

I doubt China will do anything much with these high profile athletes there as guests....especially with the President there....I expect they will return to the US with the team.......what with NK....the dispute about the Islands and the freedom of the seas.....their plans to invest billions in the US....the last thing they need is to have Lavar coming after them....No Bueno..

I will bite.......a criminal act far different than dumb stuff
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

I may have read incorrectly into your post. When people say "kids do dumb stuff," I tend to think of it as an excuse. "Kids do dumb stuff" is not an excuse for stealing. That where my comment came from. But yes, if it's strictly saying that they did something stupid, without the excuse, then I'd agree!

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I doubt China will do anything much with these high profile athletes there as guests....especially with the President there....I expect they will return to the US with the team.......what with NK....the dispute about the Islands and the freedom of the seas.....their plans to invest billions in the US....the last thing they need is to have Lavar coming after them....No Bueno..
    Can we sick Lavar on North Korea?

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Can we sick Lavar on North Korea?
    Can we make them take him, or does that violate sanctions?
    It's not funny.

I’m sure a very major Pac 12 donor whose company does a couple jillion dollars business in China has made a few calls to government authorities.