Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GU vs Texas Southern - Predictions/What you hope to see

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Picked to win their conference, has a all conference 1st team player and one second team player. 7'2" guy transferred from Auburn and has horrible stat line in the very limited minutes he had there. I think they will be fired up and scrappy so this won't be a cake walk. Voted to win their conference by coaches 17-1
    Zags win a close one. We will need to bring our game.
    88-84
    Yep! I don’t understand all the blowout predictions here. This is a tough game #1. A likely conference champion; everyone agrees these teams can and do upset higher seeded teams in the NCAA tourney, why then do folks think this is a sure thing for Zags? Obviously I hope it is a blowout but the players better not be expecting one.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

People are also forgetting how well-coached this team is. They are far better coached than most of the under-funded "fodder" that comes in early in the year.

I loved this team watching them personally a couple years ago. They fought, despite never having a chance. Never hung their heads, never lost focus. Their coach coached them up the entire game, no matter the score. I think he divided it into 4 minute games, I recall hearing (within ear shot, sort of) him mention something like that.

They beat Michigan State at Michigan State, I like them.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Although the big man that transferred in had lousy stats at Auburn, he was a top 100 recruit coming out of high school. He's a wild card with a new good coach.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

I think they won their conference last year, and then lost to North Carolina by 41 in the NCAA tournament. They did really well in their conference, but lost against very good teams like Baylor, Cincinatti and a few others by around 30 points. A review of their roster shows me that they have 2 of their top scorers back, Jefferson (14 ppg) and Scot (10 ppg). Jefferson is a 5'7" Sophomore, Scot is a 6' 4" 205 pound Senior who averaged 10 ppg last year (the same as Perkins). IMO the Zags have more coming back than Texas S, and the Zags finished second in the country. Zags will be ready. It's their first game of 2017.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Picked to win their conference, has a all conference 1st team player and one second team player. 7'2" guy transferred from Auburn and has horrible stat line in the very limited minutes he had there. I think they will be fired up and scrappy so this won't be a cake walk. Voted to win their conference by coaches 17-1
    Zags win a close one. We will need to bring our game.
    88-84
    If the Zags are this close to Texas Southern it's going to be a very, very long year.... even winning their conference wouldn't net them better than a 16 seed.

So you are saying they are a team that will be dancing -- good game to start off the year with.

Late to the party... But:

Zags 90
    Texas Southern 63

We: 88
    They: 69

Things that would give me a bit of comfort to start the year:

Turnovers: <10
    Rebounding margin: +6<
    At least two other players outside JIII in double digit scoring.
    Wade on the floor for at least ten minutes

Wow some of y'all are pegging Texas Southern to hang somewhere in the 60s. I'm hoping to see better defense than that...

a lot of talk about past conference champs and expectation of perhaps being conference champs again this year, but the SWAC conference is rated the weakest conference in the county by many, and was so last year as well. I hate to use conference as a knock, as we are sensitive to that around here, but really, last.

zags 87
    tex southern 62

Still, it's good scheduling to try to face teams that are going to do well in weaker conferences - better for the RPI.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

84-60. Six Zags in double figures, 22 assists, 43 RBs. Tigers put up ten pts vs GU bench to make the final closer than the game actually was. Bulldogs force 16 TO's. Oh, and Tillie sprains ankle, plays 8 minutes. Anything else?

Kennel club chant...

Up by 30, (clap, clap, clap-clap-clap)
    Up by 30. (clap, clap, clap-clap-clap)

Zags 83
    Texas Southern 68

Is this game going to be streamed on the same website that the exhibition game was on?

GU87
    TSU 69

Zags 86
    Tigers 59

Go Zags - Beat the Tigers!
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    Still, it's good scheduling to try to face teams that are going to do well in weaker conferences - better for the RPI.
    I agree. I think its a great first game of the year. Stepping Stones to Portland In the PK80.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

GU 87
    Texas Southern 62
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

Quote Originally Posted by upan8th View Post
    84-60. Six Zags in double figures, 22 assists, 43 RBs. Tigers put up ten pts vs GU bench to make the final closer than the game actually was. Bulldogs force 16 TO's. Oh, and Tillie sprains ankle, plays 8 minutes. Anything else?
    d'oh!

89 GU
    71 TS

It's exciting to get back into Gonzaga basketball. Things change so much every year. I'm hoping to start to get a feel for this year's team with this game.
    GU 88
    TSU 58

89-66 Zags
    Go Zags!

Zags 89
    TSU 61
    I walked over 20 miles to watch the Zags

hope to see good execution on both ends of the floor from the new faces

Quote Originally Posted by ZagzKrak View Post
    Zags 96
    TexS 69
    professional bookie?