Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BYU in trouble with Mr Emery?

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    It seems to me you have no love lost for the fan base but have no ill wishes for Emery.
    Well, I didn't know about the "free car" stuff when I mentioned what I did. I was going off the divorce (possible adultery) and figured it was an Honor Code thing, solely. Thus, in that situation, of course I want a good outcome for him personally.

If he knowingly got a free car against NCAA rules (but within the HC as it's called? Did Rose know? How could he not?), well then he should pay a bigger price.

But, my problem wasn't even with the fan base, which is insufferable, but - fans, not a big deal. My issue with them is they think every loss is rooted in poor officiating, and that it's because the officials are anti-LDS. Tired, but not a reason to really get down on them.

The team play, the sheer violence each game descends into, which must be at Rose's direction, is unacceptable in my eyes, and dangerous to our team. I am NOT blaming our home loses on the dirty play. They beat us, we threw up all over ourselves.

Last year's Loyola game was an outrage, but that's either equal to, or minor compared to what we normally face from BYU. It's handed down year to year, a culture. I don't like it.

Too bad bc I used to have real respect for Rose. His work on behalf of cancer victims after he recovered from his was laudable, and he seemed personable, humble, and honorable. Now having seen the play at the games, from close proximity, the sheer volume of holds, elbows. tripping, it's overwhelming and would require a whistle every 30 seconds to really police it.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Címon Dix, thatís a bit rough. Good luck to the Emery family.
    Although the Church owns KSL, I have to agree with Patrick Kinahan that no one is a winner in this situation....Any Lone Peak arrogance that may have been there probably isn't any more....

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46198691&nid=272

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Well, I didn't know about the "free car" stuff when I mentioned what I did. I was going off the divorce (possible adultery) and figured it was an Honor Code thing, solely. Thus, in that situation, of course I want a good outcome for him personally.

If he knowingly got a free car against NCAA rules (but within the HC as it's called? Did Rose know? How could he not?), well then he should pay a bigger price.

But, my problem wasn't even with the fan base, which is insufferable, but - fans, not a big deal. My issue with them is they think every loss is rooted in poor officiating, and that it's because the officials are anti-LDS. Tired, but not a reason to really get down on them.

The team play, the sheer violence each game descends into, which must be at Rose's direction, is unacceptable in my eyes, and dangerous to our team. I am NOT blaming our home loses on the dirty play. They beat us, we threw up all over ourselves.

Last year's Loyola game was an outrage, but that's either equal to, or minor compared to what we normally face from BYU. It's handed down year to year, a culture. I don't like it.

Too bad bc I used to have real respect for Rose. His work on behalf of cancer victims after he recovered from his was laudable, and he seemed personable, humble, and honorable. Now having seen the play at the games, from close proximity, the sheer volume of holds, elbows. tripping, it's overwhelming and would require a whistle every 30 seconds to really police it.
    As much as I donít like BYU sports, I canít recall moments in this yearís (or last) games where it was unacceptably physical.

Maybe check yourself and see if you donít just like to hate on BYU and the LDS crowd?

As far as Nick goes, any time you are dealing with the Highland area, there is a decent chance there was a friendship previous to the playing of college basketball. And a Jetta or a Passat is chump change to some, out there. Not like a kid who just committed to Kentucky from the ghetto, all of the sudden driving a Beamer.

And the divorce is not really anyoneís business. It would also be important to brush up on LDS standards concerning morality and administrative discipline, as fornication and adultery carry far different weights. Had he committed adultery, it is possible that he would have been disfellowshipped and asked to take a leave of absence while working through the repentance process. But itís not like the Brandon Davies situation where his acts were done possibly with far less accountability. Being endowed and serving a mission puts one at a higher level of accountability. Adultery committed by an endowed member of the Church can have a higher likelihood of excommunication, which would probably make it harder for him to come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His propensity for jacking up threes will be a welcome sight to Zag fans. . . If he has his life together, good for him.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

ď We tend to forget in times of reversal that life without risk is endless rehearsal.Ē -- Fran J. Polek

Does he have any eligibility left? I know the 5 years to play 4 is suspended for the LDS to send players on a mission, but dropping out shouldn't stop the 5 years.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Does he have any eligibility left? I know the 5 years to play 4 is suspended for the LDS to send players on a mission, but dropping out shouldn't stop the 5 years.
    I believe his eligibility clock started when he enrolled at BYU. He started school after his mission, so he should only be in his fourth year. I’m not sure if the NCAA would treat last year as a redshirt year.
    "The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    I believe his eligibility clock started when he enrolled at BYU. He started school after his mission, so he should only be in his fourth year. I’m not sure if the NCAA would treat last year as a redshirt year.
    It is 5 to play 4 with missions exempted. It would be a redshirt year, of that I am positive. Otherwise, athletes could sign, take a redshirt year, play a year, take a year off and only play unsupervised scrimmages, and have it not count.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

I believe they use the Grant Gibbs Rule.....

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    As much as I don’t like BYU sports, I can’t recall moments in this year’s (or last) games where it was unacceptably physical.

Maybe check yourself and see if you don’t just like to hate on BYU and the LDS crowd?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One or two years of reduced physicality since they couldn't find a football player to join the team is hardly a reason to give BYU and Nick "Junk-punch" Emery a pass or claim that there isn't a history there.
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board