Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BYU in trouble with Mr Emery?

Default BYU in trouble with Mr Emery?

The NCAA is investigating illegal benefits from a booster to Nick Emery. This could be bad for BYU. (Salt lake tribune)

Provo • Brigham Young University and the NCAA are investigating whether a booster paid for travel to concerts and an amusement park for men’s basketball player Nick Emery and gave him use of a new car, documents and interviews show.
    The university issued statements Thursday saying it contacted the NCAA “after receiving information.”
    “BYU is in the process of working with the NCAA regarding issues related to Nick Emery,” the university said in a statement sent Thursday to The Salt Lake Tribune.
    http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2017/10...er-nick-emery/
    "The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-

Do scandals like this happen often for players that aren't blue-chippers?

Schadenfreude not a good look........

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Sure but that is why he got a VW, the blue chippers get Corvettes and Porsches......a coaches nightmare.... when I was in Seattle some the UW players "worked" for a beer distributor.....he needed big strong kids to handle those big kegs....sounded legitimate to me.... Elgin Baylor played AAU and worked for a car dealer...and don't get me started on Sam Gilbert and Saint John Wooden at UCLA...

All this was .....of course...... before Social Media and the Russians...

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    I just asked a friend of mine about this. He was a very good basketball player, and played four years at a D3 school.

I asked him if this sort of thing goes on at smaller schools like that, and/or if he ever received any sort of special treatment. His reply...."The entire time".
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Dig deep enough into the closet, you are bound to hit calcium.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    Dig deep enough into the closet, you are bound to hit calcium.
    Interesting mixed metaphor, Moove.

Ok, I confess. I used to give cash payment to Matt Carlino. That chucker was the best friend a Zag fan could have while he was at BYU.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Interesting mixed metaphor, Moove.
    Ridiculous times call for ridiculous measures.

Quote Originally Posted by zaguarxj View Post
    Ok, I confess. I used to give cash payment to Matt Carlino. That chucker was the best friend a Zag fan could have while he was at BYU.
    Winner.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

“ We tend to forget in times of reversal that life without risk is endless rehearsal.” -- Fran J. Polek

The underlying question here... Emery?? Really?? You couldn't bribe Mika to come back?

IMHO the worse scandal in NCAA history is North Carolina....yes, I know there were sex scandals, even a murder or so and some game fixing....but those violations were committed by individuals and not ignored by the University for nearly 20 years..... I will award second place to Penn State...

We will see where this one goes. It may not be as bad as it looks. BYU allowed him to play in the exhibition game. They knew about it before then. There is likely more to the story.

When you read the comments by Emery and the "booster" (based on his own comments his status as a booster is kind of tenuous - this isn't some high roller) it seems like it should warrant no more than a scolding/warning. Yet, there seems to be just enough deceptiveness to wonder. The part about the guy saying he doesn't own a Jetta while earlier in the article it says the lease is in his name... that's just shady enough to give this thing legs. Of course it's nothing close to the UNC thing, which is exactly why my money is on this going south for BYU. This is perfectly within the NCAA's wheelhouse of inequality. I'm biased, but on the surface this seems like a more cut-and-dry violation than the convoluted mess SMC got stung for a few years ago. I guess the real question is whether BYU is a big enough program to get the big-school benefit of the doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    IMHO the worse scandal in NCAA history is North Carolina....yes, I know there were sex scandals, even a murder or so and some game fixing....but those violations were committed by individuals and not ignored by the University for nearly 20 years..... I will award second place to Penn State...
    Hard to consider a cover-up of sexual abuse of children second-worse to basketball players cheating the system. But if you just mean in terms of scale... um, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    We will see where this one goes. It may not be as bad as it looks. BYU allowed him to play in the exhibition game. They knew about it before then. There is likely more to the story.
    BYU has shown they are more interested in wins then punishments. Hence why Emery only got the NCAA mandated one game suspension for punching the Utah player in a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    11 cheers for binary!

"Make me a sandwich"
    "Make it yourself"
    "Sudo Make me a sandwich"
    "Okay"

Quote Originally Posted by sideshow06 View Post
    The underlying question here... Emery?? Really?? You couldn't bribe Mika to come back?
    That was my first reaction...
    "The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-

A guy I know well from my gym was a kick returner and backup running back for Notre Dame when they won the mythical national championship in 1973. He talked about "hundred dollar handshakes" being the norm after a win. A hundred dollars was quite a bit of money back then.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Sandusky was raping young boys and it was ignored by Penn State higher ups-----i would say that is a million times worse than kids taking sham classes at UNC

Runner-Up

Other schools: hundred dollar handshakes, prostitutes.
    BYU: used Jettas, amusement parks

Post of the Day
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

The only thing that could make this story better would be if it was a minivan (and a case of Rhodes Brown 'n Serve rolls) instead of a Jetta.

Hasa Diga Eebowai!

When their HOF Quarterback Jim McMahon was asked about Davis's suspension for having sex....he said, the honor code was a joke, that he sent his girlfriend out so often to get beer, everyone though she was a drunk....and that if it had been Jimmer.... what would those hypocrites have done ?