• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GYPOZAG
    Redshirt
    • Jan 2013

BYU in trouble with Mr Emery?

The NCAA is investigating illegal benefits from a booster to Nick Emery. This could be bad for BYU. (Salt lake tribune)
  • Martin Centre Mad Man
    Administrator
    • Apr 2009

Provo • Brigham Young University and the NCAA are investigating whether a booster paid for travel to concerts and an amusement park for men’s basketball player Nick Emery and gave him use of a new car, documents and interviews show.
    The university issued statements Thursday saying it contacted the NCAA “after receiving information.”
    “BYU is in the process of working with the NCAA regarding issues related to Nick Emery,” the university said in a statement sent Thursday to The Salt Lake Tribune.
    Provo • Brigham Young University and the NCAA are investigating whether a booster paid for travel to concerts and an amusement park for men’s basketball player Nick Emery and gave him use of a new car, documents and interviews show.
    “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• strikenowhere
      Zag for Life
      • Sep 2009

Do scandals like this happen often for players that aren't blue-chippers?

Comment

• jazzdelmar
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Schadenfreude not a good look........

Comment

• bartruff1
          Zag for Life
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by strikenowhere View Post
          Sure but that is why he got a VW, the blue chippers get Corvettes and Porsches......a coaches nightmare.... when I was in Seattle some the UW players "worked" for a beer distributor.....he needed big strong kids to handle those big kegs....sounded legitimate to me.... Elgin Baylor played AAU and worked for a car dealer...and don't get me started on Sam Gilbert and Saint John Wooden at UCLA...

All this was .....of course...... before Social Media and the Russians...

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
            Time Zone Challenged Board Greeter
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by strikenowhere View Post
            I just asked a friend of mine about this. He was a very good basketball player, and played four years at a D3 school.

I asked him if this sort of thing goes on at smaller schools like that, and/or if he ever received any sort of special treatment. His reply...."The entire time".
            Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Comment

• thebigsmoove
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2007

Dig deep enough into the closet, you are bound to hit calcium.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by thebigsmoove View Post
                Dig deep enough into the closet, you are bound to hit calcium.
                Interesting mixed metaphor, Moove.

Comment

• zaguarxj
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Ok, I confess. I used to give cash payment to Matt Carlino. That chucker was the best friend a Zag fan could have while he was at BYU.

Comment

• thebigsmoove
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                    Interesting mixed metaphor, Moove.
                    Ridiculous times call for ridiculous measures.

Comment

• RenoZag
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zaguarxj View Post
                      Ok, I confess. I used to give cash payment to Matt Carlino. That chucker was the best friend a Zag fan could have while he was at BYU.
                      Winner.
                      The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• sideshow06
                        Kennel Club Material
                        • Jan 2012

The underlying question here... Emery?? Really?? You couldn't bribe Mika to come back?

Comment

• bartruff1
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jan 2010

IMHO the worse scandal in NCAA history is North Carolina....yes, I know there were sex scandals, even a murder or so and some game fixing....but those violations were committed by individuals and not ignored by the University for nearly 20 years..... I will award second place to Penn State...

Comment

• ZagsObserver
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jan 2010

We will see where this one goes. It may not be as bad as it looks. BYU allowed him to play in the exhibition game. They knew about it before then. There is likely more to the story.

Comment

• sideshow06
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Jan 2012

When you read the comments by Emery and the "booster" (based on his own comments his status as a booster is kind of tenuous - this isn't some high roller) it seems like it should warrant no more than a scolding/warning. Yet, there seems to be just enough deceptiveness to wonder. The part about the guy saying he doesn't own a Jetta while earlier in the article it says the lease is in his name... that's just shady enough to give this thing legs. Of course it's nothing close to the UNC thing, which is exactly why my money is on this going south for BYU. This is perfectly within the NCAA's wheelhouse of inequality. I'm biased, but on the surface this seems like a more cut-and-dry violation than the convoluted mess SMC got stung for a few years ago. I guess the real question is whether BYU is a big enough program to get the big-school benefit of the doubt.

Comment

Working...
                              X