Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good game for Sabonis

So much fun watching Domas make all the haters of the Paul George trade eat their words!

Box Score Pacers-Rockets. Domas with 17 points on 7-10 shooting in 23 minutes with 5 rebounds, a steal, and a couple of assists.

And I loved Mike Allrght's raving about Domas in this video from a few days ago:

Last edited by ZagNative; 11-13-2017 at 01:41 AM.

I understand that when they played the Thunder, Domas was asked if he would talk to his former teammates and he said something to the effect...."No....I was there....I know how they roll...."

I am disappointed in Billy, when he calls a timeout, Westbrook doesn't even join in the huddle around the coach to hear what he has to say...... now I am glad they are not in Seattle..

I understand that when they played the Thunder, Domas was asked if he would talk to his former teammates and he said something to the effect...."No....I was there....I know how they roll...."
    That quote was about speaking to the Thunder players in the locker room after the game. He was seen chatting with Adams among others pre game.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    That quote was about speaking to the Thunder players in the locker room after the game. He was seen chatting with Adams among others pre game.
    I believe Russell Westbrook is known for not speaking to any of his opponents before the game, doesn't matter if they're good friends or not. Maybe that's what Sabonis was referring to.

A list of ALL 6'9+ players in the NBA history to shoot better than 60% from the field and average more than 2.5 assists:

Watching Sabonis and the Pacers this season has been so damn fun. So many team first players starting with Oladipo and Sabonis. Without a doubt my NBA team that I have been waiting for since the Sonics were stolen away and it will be fun watching Indiana get better over the next few years with this talented young core.

This season is also going to reflect really well on Coach Few and the staff because Indiana is basically utilizing Domas the same way Gonzaga did and the results vs. trying to stretch him out last year have been remarkable.

Sabonis w 19pts on 5-7 shooting, 8 rbds, 5 assists in 27 minutes as Pacers beat Magic last night (11/27).
    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

He's a beast, and in my opinion has the best chance of being the best GU player not named Stockton to play in the NBA.

Just pulled up the season numbers. Domas currently has the third best efficiency rating on the Pacers, behind Oladipo and Al Jefferson, and both he and Oladipo currently have better efficiency ratings than Paul George! Using either efficiency ratings or estimated wins added, Domas is showing up as in the 50s or 60s overall in the entire NBA, which is fabulous for a second year player.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Still playing well, but numbers down a bit with Turner coming back. Great highlight here...

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/12/15/...-tweet-thunder

On espn watch you can watch Sabonis's thunder dunk this morning....

Quote Originally Posted by ZionZag View Post
    On espn watch you can watch Sabonis's thunder dunk this morning....
    http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21779694

dig the bench's reaction too

He looks bigger and stronger and quicker and faster....a incredible athlete....he should have a long career in the NBA...

Impressive!
    "Neck-ties are just maxi pads for your throat." - Ted Williams

Does Sabonis have Kevin McHale potential?

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Does Sabonis have Kevin McHale potential?
    Pretty different players. McHale was much longer, had a ridiculous wingspan and averaged 2-3 blocks per game. McHale also had a more versatile post-game, whereas Domas very heavily favors his left. But I think Domas is more physical and is a better screener and rebounder. Let's not forget that McHale is a hall-of-famer though. Everything would need to go right for Domas, and he would have to fully realize his potential to even come close to the Celtic legend.

Zag Nation

@UnitedWeZag
    5m5 minutes ago
    More
    Sabonis and Olynyk each led their teams in scoring last night #ZagsInTheNBA

Sabonis had a double-double with twelve points and fifteen rebounds in the Pacers’ 95-97 win over the Cavs.
    "The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-

Brilliant article about Domas, with a lot of Gonzaga mentions, from CBS Sports: "How Domantas Sabonis unleashed his fighting spirit to become a steal for the Pacers
    Oladipo may be getting most of the shine, but this second-year big man has been phenomenal in Indiana"

Domantas Sabonis asked Tommy Lloyd to stop the car. The Gonzaga assistant coach had picked up the prized recruit -- and son of Hall of Famer Arvydas Sabonis -- from the Spokane airport and was bringing him to campus in 2014. But, 5,000 miles away from home, Sabonis knew something bad was about to happen.

"He puked his guts out," Lloyd said.

Lloyd asked Sabonis if he was carsick. No, he said, but sometimes, when he's anxious or upset, it manifests physically. Sabonis is close to his three older brothers and younger sister -- and his hometown of Kaunas, Lithuania. Now, he had chosen to play college basketball on the other side of the world. This was regular old homesickness; it just revealed itself more, um, colorfully than usual.

Recalling the incident, Lloyd laughed. "He probably will kill me, but this shows how far he's come," he said. While Sabonis' NCAA career might have had an inauspicious start, he went on to fully embrace life at Gonzaga. Off the court, his teammates became a new kind of family. On the court, he became a beloved figure in Spokane because of the rugged toughness that he shares with his father, the mentality that Lloyd saw when he first scouted him as a 16-year-old.

"He's always had it," Lloyd said. "And we kind of call it the Lithuanian fighting spirit. Basketball is such a part of their culture, and they play the game, they approach it with emotion. It's more than just a game to them. He has this amazing balance of being very nice and polite off the floor, but on the floor he's got a real mean, nasty streak to him. It's kind of a brilliant combination."

That nasty streak is shining brighter than ever before. Sabonis joined the Indiana Pacers this offseason in the heavily criticized Paul George trade. But after struggling with the Oklahoma City Thunder for his first NBA season, he's come into his own. This month, Sabonis is averaging 15.1 points and 9.6 rebounds and shooting 57 percent. He is keeping Indiana steady without injured center Myles Turner: In Sabonis' 14 starts, he's averaged 11.2 rebounds a game.

And the reviews are in. Sabonis is living up to his family name -- and building a new NBA family of his own. Lance Stephenson says Sabonis makes the game easy. Cory Joseph says he appreciates how Sabonis throws his body around and gets loose balls. Turner, who is a month and a half older than Sabonis, says he is learning from his new teammate.

"Man, he's f---ing terrible," laughed Victor Oladipo, who came over from the Thunder with Sabonis in the George trade. "I'm just playing. He's awesome, man. I mean, I've been watching Damo since he was at Gonzaga and then he joined OKC last year with me. To see his growth over just a year span is amazing."

ZN, thanks for posting this story...

Another fun piece about Domas, "Sabonis, Turner Forming a Tag Team"
    Regardless of who starts and who comes off the bench, Turner and Sabonis make up one of the NBA's best combinations of centers. They still will play together for a handful of minutes per game, but McMillan is dedicated to having at least one of them one the floor at almost all times the rest of this season — for multiple reasons, starting with defense.

Between the two of them, the bases are covered, as Howard learned the hard way. He scored just four points and grabbed four rebounds in the second half, and didn't manage any of either in his 7 1/2 minutes fourth-quarter minutes.

Sabonis made Howard work for most of what he got around the basket, especially in the second half. He was called for a foul away from the ball while wrestling with Howard midway through the period. Charlotte wound up scoring on that possession to pull within six points, but Sabonis drew a charging foul from Howard on the Hornets' next possession when Howard drove the lane from the left wing.

Sabonis jumped up, lifted his arms and shouted to celebrate that individual victory. He picked up his fourth foul moments later, so Turner replaced him with 4:34 left and promptly drained his fourth 3-pointer to open a 10-point lead for the Pacers.

One of them fights you, the other finesses you.

"I love playing with Domas," Turner said. "I almost feel bad, because he does all the dirty work. He leaves the easy stuff for me, but I think we play very well off of each other."

Sabonis doesn't mind. Although he has a better 3-point percentage than Turner, even after Monday's game, he's better-suited for combat. All the starter minutes he's received this season in Turner's absence have given him experience against some of the NBA's best big men and exposed him to a variety of challenges. He takes it all in stride, even being knocked down.

"At the end of the day, you're just doing your job: screening, rolling, trying to finish, trying to guard...I just want to win, so I just try to do my job," he said.