Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Norvell Jr. Named to Julius Erving Award Watch List

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greater Tacoma
    Posts
    5,366

    Default Norvell Jr. Named to Julius Erving Award Watch List

    Norvell Jr. Named to Julius Erving Award Watch List


    Gonzaga redshirt freshman tabbed to 20-player prestigious preseason list

    Oct. 18, 2017

    SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – Gonzaga men's basketball's Zach Norvell Jr. was named one of 20 candidates for the 2018 Julius Erving Small Forward of the Year Award Wednesday.

    http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskb...101817aaa.html
    .
    .
    .
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    .
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    .
    I am monitoring the price of a donut
    .

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,089

    Default



    He is going to be a star.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,128

    Default

    You know your program is good when you are forced to redshirt consensus top 100 recruits due to having too many talented/experienced players on the current roster.........

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,980

    Default

    I hope he's that good. He sure looks the part as a shooter.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,116

    Default

    Will he start?

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    You know your program is good when you are forced to redshirt consensus top 100 recruits due to having too many talented/experienced players on the current roster.........
    And when you’re in the National championship game?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    You know your program is good when you are forced to redshirt consensus top 100 recruits due to having too many talented/experienced players on the current roster.........
    When combined with last year when we had a lottery pick coming off the bench.

    Not bad at all.

    ZagDad

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,130

    Default

    I think he starts....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    324

    Default

    If his knee was at 100% last season he would have been part of the rotation. The kid can play. He will be freshman of the year in the WCC

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    4,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Will he start?
    I also think he could start BUT am trying to figure how a played, who hasn't played one minute of a game can be on this list...it must of been from his KIK play...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,002

    Default

    I think Rui starts but Norvell gets plenty of playing time at 2/3.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    3,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    I think Rui starts but Norvell gets plenty of playing time at 2/3.
    This but sub Kispert for Rui.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,955

    Default

    On St Mary's board somebody linked Sports Illustrated's statistical projections for the top 100 scorers in cbb, and top 50 freshmen.

    Norvell is projected by them to be 28th in fr scoring at 9.3 ppg, and to play 55% of minutes, or 22 a game.

    In the past a lot of these projections have been pretty close if my memory's accurate.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    4,384

    Default

    22 minutes a game spread between the 2 and 3 sounds like a pretty good guess to me.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    22 minutes a game spread between the 2 and 3 sounds like a pretty good guess to me.
    There are a few constants throughout ALL of Few's offense iterations and maturations: If you can shoot, then you can see the court. This might be a year we need shooters to open the inside for driving the lane vs when we had Shem and inside play opened up the perimeter. Norvell plays and as long as he doesn't totally suck at D i.e.. Manny A back-in-the-day.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    On St Mary's board somebody linked Sports Illustrated's statistical projections for the top 100 scorers in cbb, and top 50 freshmen.

    Norvell is projected by them to be 28th in fr scoring at 9.3 ppg, and to play 55% of minutes, or 22 a game.

    In the past a lot of these projections have been pretty close if my memory's accurate.
    Nice research...Thanks

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,558

    Default

    9.3 would be great. I see him as the guy to take Melson's role from last year. Melson averaged 7.?
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Am more excited about Zach than any other. If you watch video when he went for 53 in AAU game, watch his feet. Many of his shots were well beyond NBA 3. Imo he is a better ball handler and passer than some give credit for. He has been thru the wars of Chicago HS ball. If his knee is ok, can't see him not starting.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Norvell or Kispert will start at the 3, not Rui. Rui will play 1/2 the game but will likely split time between the 3 and the 4.

    I suspect Norvell might get the nod early but Kispert should be the guy at the 3 bu the time league rolls around. Norvell will get plenty of run regardless between the 2&3 spots.

    Should be fun watching him develop. All three of these guys actually.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richland, Washington
    Posts
    6,462

    Default

    Remember how Brandon Paul from Illinois tore up the Zags on their home court?

    That was the Zach Norvell preview.
    I miss Mike Hart

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billbow47 View Post
    Am more excited about Zach than any other. If you watch video when he went for 53 in AAU game, watch his feet. Many of his shots were well beyond NBA 3. Imo he is a better ball handler and passer than some give credit for. He has been thru the wars of Chicago HS ball. If his knee is ok, can't see him not starting.
    I'm in your camp on this one. If he's healthy and also plays adequate defense I think he will be a star. Also, the Erving watch list has to provide a nice plus for confidence/motivation.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Will he start?
    gotta start.....these kind of awards must have "Heisman" kinda hype from programs putting names out....right? I mean who'd even know about Zach with out talking to coaches about potential .....every broadcast will hype it...good luck Zach

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    gotta start.....these kind of awards must have "Heisman" kinda hype from programs putting names out....right? I mean who'd even know about Zach with out talking to coaches about potential .....every broadcast will hype it...good luck Zach
    yup

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    seattle, spokane
    Posts
    3,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EEzag View Post
    There are a few constants throughout ALL of Few's offense iterations and maturations: If you can shoot, then you can see the court. This might be a year we need shooters to open the inside for driving the lane vs when we had Shem and inside play opened up the perimeter. Norvell plays and as long as he doesn't totally suck at D i.e.. Manny A back-in-the-day.
    My memory is Mangisto Arop was a great shooter. It was the rest of his game that didn't hold up, including the inability to create his own shot or shoot off balance.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Salem, Oregon
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Mrs. 3zagda and I drove 6hrs to see last years KIK because we primarily wanted to see 3 new Zags: Zach N., Killian, and Rui. We sat right behind Zach's team bench and I thought Zach beat Jordan in the 3 point contest. The laissez faire atmosphere allowed jordan to shoot after the timer and Zach stopped.
    This is the first time I can remember when the Zags have 3 great candidates to play the 3. ZN(the ZN with both!), Corey and Rui. Rui is the most skilled classic 3 the Zags have ever had, IMHO. Zach will be a great weapon, but we will likely need him playing minutes at the 2. Corey has great potential, big and strong, he reminds me of Pendo. I look forward to seeing him play division 1 talent. I think they will all be so good we will see them all in the line up at other positions. Zach playing plenty of minutes at the 2 and Corey and Rui at the 4.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •