Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norvell Jr. Named to Julius Erving Award Watch List

Default Norvell Jr. Named to Julius Erving Award Watch List

Norvell Jr. Named to Julius Erving Award Watch List

Gonzaga redshirt freshman tabbed to 20-player prestigious preseason list

Oct. 18, 2017

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – Gonzaga men's basketball's Zach Norvell Jr. was named one of 20 candidates for the 2018 Julius Erving Small Forward of the Year Award Wednesday.

http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskb...101817aaa.html
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

He is going to be a star.

You know your program is good when you are forced to redshirt consensus top 100 recruits due to having too many talented/experienced players on the current roster.........

I hope he's that good. He sure looks the part as a shooter.

Will he start?

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    You know your program is good when you are forced to redshirt consensus top 100 recruits due to having too many talented/experienced players on the current roster.........
    And when you’re in the National championship game?

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    When combined with last year when we had a lottery pick coming off the bench.

Not bad at all.

ZagDad

I think he starts....

If his knee was at 100% last season he would have been part of the rotation. The kid can play. He will be freshman of the year in the WCC

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Will he start?
    I also think he could start BUT am trying to figure how a played, who hasn't played one minute of a game can be on this list...it must of been from his KIK play...

I think Rui starts but Norvell gets plenty of playing time at 2/3.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    I think Rui starts but Norvell gets plenty of playing time at 2/3.
    This but sub Kispert for Rui.

On St Mary's board somebody linked Sports Illustrated's statistical projections for the top 100 scorers in cbb, and top 50 freshmen.

Norvell is projected by them to be 28th in fr scoring at 9.3 ppg, and to play 55% of minutes, or 22 a game.

In the past a lot of these projections have been pretty close if my memory's accurate.

22 minutes a game spread between the 2 and 3 sounds like a pretty good guess to me.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    22 minutes a game spread between the 2 and 3 sounds like a pretty good guess to me.
    There are a few constants throughout ALL of Few's offense iterations and maturations: If you can shoot, then you can see the court. This might be a year we need shooters to open the inside for driving the lane vs when we had Shem and inside play opened up the perimeter. Norvell plays and as long as he doesn't totally suck at D i.e.. Manny A back-in-the-day.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    On St Mary's board somebody linked Sports Illustrated's statistical projections for the top 100 scorers in cbb, and top 50 freshmen.

Norvell is projected by them to be 28th in fr scoring at 9.3 ppg, and to play 55% of minutes, or 22 a game.

In the past a lot of these projections have been pretty close if my memory's accurate.
    Nice research...Thanks

9.3 would be great. I see him as the guy to take Melson's role from last year. Melson averaged 7.?
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Am more excited about Zach than any other. If you watch video when he went for 53 in AAU game, watch his feet. Many of his shots were well beyond NBA 3. Imo he is a better ball handler and passer than some give credit for. He has been thru the wars of Chicago HS ball. If his knee is ok, can't see him not starting.

Norvell or Kispert will start at the 3, not Rui. Rui will play 1/2 the game but will likely split time between the 3 and the 4.

I suspect Norvell might get the nod early but Kispert should be the guy at the 3 bu the time league rolls around. Norvell will get plenty of run regardless between the 2&3 spots.

Should be fun watching him develop. All three of these guys actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember how Brandon Paul from Illinois tore up the Zags on their home court?

That was the Zach Norvell preview.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by billbow47 View Post
    Am more excited about Zach than any other. If you watch video when he went for 53 in AAU game, watch his feet. Many of his shots were well beyond NBA 3. Imo he is a better ball handler and passer than some give credit for. He has been thru the wars of Chicago HS ball. If his knee is ok, can't see him not starting.
    I'm in your camp on this one. If he's healthy and also plays adequate defense I think he will be a star. Also, the Erving watch list has to provide a nice plus for confidence/motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Will he start?
    gotta start.....these kind of awards must have "Heisman" kinda hype from programs putting names out....right? I mean who'd even know about Zach with out talking to coaches about potential .....every broadcast will hype it...good luck Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    gotta start.....these kind of awards must have "Heisman" kinda hype from programs putting names out....right? I mean who'd even know about Zach with out talking to coaches about potential .....every broadcast will hype it...good luck Zach
    yup

Quote Originally Posted by EEzag View Post
    There are a few constants throughout ALL of Few's offense iterations and maturations: If you can shoot, then you can see the court. This might be a year we need shooters to open the inside for driving the lane vs when we had Shem and inside play opened up the perimeter. Norvell plays and as long as he doesn't totally suck at D i.e.. Manny A back-in-the-day.
    My memory is Mangisto Arop was a great shooter. It was the rest of his game that didn't hold up, including the inability to create his own shot or shoot off balance.

Mrs. 3zagda and I drove 6hrs to see last years KIK because we primarily wanted to see 3 new Zags: Zach N., Killian, and Rui. We sat right behind Zach's team bench and I thought Zach beat Jordan in the 3 point contest. The laissez faire atmosphere allowed jordan to shoot after the timer and Zach stopped.
    This is the first time I can remember when the Zags have 3 great candidates to play the 3. ZN(the ZN with both!), Corey and Rui. Rui is the most skilled classic 3 the Zags have ever had, IMHO. Zach will be a great weapon, but we will likely need him playing minutes at the 2. Corey has great potential, big and strong, he reminds me of Pendo. I look forward to seeing him play division 1 talent. I think they will all be so good we will see them all in the line up at other positions. Zach playing plenty of minutes at the 2 and Corey and Rui at the 4.