Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Richardson Is Supposed To Be Visiting Gonzaga Today (10/13)

Default Will Richardson Is Supposed To Be Visiting Gonzaga Today (10/13)

The 6-3 guard from Midway, Georgia (who plays for Oak Hill Academy) is supposed to be on campus today (Oct. 13), visiting Gonzaga. 247Sports ranks him as the 34th best player in the 2018 class. His composite ranking is #47. Definitely a high level talent.

Here's a little article about why Will is so important to the Oak Hill team:

http://www.flohoops.com/video/125857...s#.WeD1T9KotMx

At 6-foot-3, Richardson is the ideal floor general to keep Oak Hill at the highest levels. The 2018 prospect is poised under pressure and can drive in the lane to get his shot or dish it off. Not only did his play this summer in averaging 16.0 points, 4.7 rebounds, and 5.5 assists per game for Each 1 Teach 1 (FL) at Nike Peach Jam prove he can handle the role, but he also became a highly touted recruit with some of the nation’s top college programs in heavy pursuit to land him for next season.

That thread title is slightly misleading - my first impression was that he committed!

Thanks! I have changed it. I see what you mean.

He may have cancelled. Rumor out today that he is going to commit to Oregon. Many recruiting experts suddenly switched their predictions to Oregon just today. Hope this is not true.

Damn Oregon with all of their "bells and whistles"!

I swear, this 2018 class seems to be cursed. I mean, we will wait to see if the Oregon rumors prove to be true, but it's pretty remarkable how the staff is having such a hard time getting a top 50 kid after just appearing in the national title game. As someone else mentioned, perhaps Gonzaga will not feel the positive effects of the title game appearance until 2019 and 2020. Obvious, 2019 has gotten off to a great start, but the 2 kids who committed are local.

Update from Inside the Kennel

Lots going on at Gonzaga. @PetrusevFilip has been on campus since Thursday for his visit + @_will1k begins his official visit today.

Let's hope he arrives today as that at least gives us a "even" shot at him! If he previously visited Oregon, then he could get even more frequent flyer miles! Heck, that in itself is a good reason to visit GU...

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    As someone else mentioned, perhaps Gonzaga will not feel the positive effects of the title game appearance until 2019 and 2020. Obvious, 2019 has gotten off to a great start, but the 2 kids who committed are local.
    Any future recruiting value from the NC game will be minor if the Zags fail to make serious noise in the 2018 tournament and beyond. Competing recruiters will simply say the NC game appearance was just a fluke and probably will not happen again for another 20 years, if ever!

Well, it depends on the player they are going after. Before the title game appearance, the Zags made the sweet 16 and the elite 8. That's a pretty darn good streak of postseason success.

It would help if the Zags could win enough games this season to get a 4 seed. That would put them in line to be assigned to the 2018 Spokane subregional. Unless it's a horrible matchup, that's almost a free pass to the sweet 16. It would be awfully hard to beat the Zags at Spokane Arena. Then you have an elite 8 followed by a sweet 16 followed by a final 4 (national title runner up) followed by a sweet 16. And the Zag team that made the sweet 16 recently was one of Mark Few's worst teams. They had to win the WCC tourney to get in the dance. And even that team should've gone to the elite 8. They had the darn game in hand.

Wonder if anyone could report any sightings of him on campus today. Would be easy to pick put with that hair. If he visits at least we have some chance.

I really dont understand why everyone is so enamored with some mythical recruiting bump. Butler made the National title game...twice...and they never really started signing top 10 players either. At the end of the day, who cares? We have a tight knit community of fans, ex-players, and coaches around the country that respect the program we have built and continue to build. We arent involved in any scandals (knock on wood), and we develop boys into men. Our guys work hard in the classroom and contribute to society. We go deep in the tourney. Lets focus on the great guys we have now and just enjoy the ride. Lots of programs across the country can only wish to be in our position at this moment in time.

Default Agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    I really dont understand why everyone is so enamored with some mythical recruiting bump. Butler made the National title game...twice...and they never really started signing top 10 players either. At the end of the day, who cares? We have a tight knit community of fans, ex-players, and coaches around the country that respect the program we have built and continue to build. We arent involved in any scandals (knock on wood), and we develop boys into men. Our guys work hard in the classroom and contribute to society. We go deep in the tourney. Lets focus on the great guys we have now and just enjoy the ride. Lots of programs across the country can only wish to be in our position at this moment in time.
    I agree. We should be thankful for what great teams we've had, and the character of the program.

I think our success landing a McDonald's All-American straight out of HS was fairly rewarding. I'd love to land another. I'll enjoy the ride either way, but wow, the staff really proved what they can do if they can add a top tier guy or 2 to the 4-stars that we normally chase down at home and overseas.

I'm hoping we get a recruiting bump.

I agree. We should be thankful for what great teams we've had, and the character of the program.
    Last year's team had the best character of any GU team ever, and they had talent that could square off face to face with North Carolina. Granted, some of the guys were transfers, but they chose GU for a reason. GU doesn't have to sacrifice it's values to get better in recruiting.

I don't think anyone was expecting Gonzaga to start landing top 10 players as a result of making the national title game. Gonzaga has landed MANY top 50 players....guys like Will Richardson....since around 2004. Will might be rated at #34 with 247Sports, but he's at #80 with scout.com. He's not Anthony Davis.

Gonzaga, even after Butler's back to back national title games, had and still has a way bigger national brand name than Butler. The players who played for Butler in those title games were legit, mid major recruits coming out of HS (although a couple developed into NBA guys). By that point, GU's entire roster was almost filled with Pac 12 level talent. GU spends more money on its program, and generates greater program revenue than Butler. Their capacity for recruiting top 50 talent, even after Butler's league change, is greater. And unlike GU, Butler never seems to have the coaching stability that GU has with Coach Few. It's not a good comparison. I talked to at least 3 college basketball analysts after this season, and all three said they would be shocked if GU's recruiting doesn't significantly improve as a result of the national title game appearance.....that they had a much greater chance to improve on it than Butler did for a whole bunch of reasons, including the fact that they are a west coast team. I mean, Gonzaga has been a number one seed two times. They've been ranked #1 in the nation. Not a single Turner or CBS person referred to Gonzaga as a mid major program during the final 4 broadcasts. It was a shock to no one that they were in Glendale.

That being said, Gonzaga is not a blue blood when it comes to recruiting, and they don't have to be to challenge for final fours.

It has been a bit disheartening to me that GU hasn't been able to lock down a top 50 player in the 2018 class yet, but I have high hopes with Filip Petrusev. And like others, I am beginning to feel that the 2019 and 2020 classes could be special. It's great that GU was able to land two top 100 level local kids. It's allowing the staff to work extra hard on recruiting future players.

Last year's team had the best character of any GU team ever, and they had talent that could square off face to face with North Carolina. Granted, some of the guys were transfers, but they chose GU for a reason. GU doesn't have to sacrifice it's values to get better in recruiting.

I don't think anyone was expecting Gonzaga to start landing top 10 players as a result of making the national title game. Gonzaga has landed MANY top 50 players....guys like Will Richardson....since around 2004. Will might be rated at #34 with 247Sports, but he's at #80 with scout.com. He's not Anthony Davis.

Gonzaga, even after Butler's back to back national title games, had and still has a way bigger national brand name than Butler. The players who played for Butler in those title games were legit, mid major recruits coming out of HS (although a couple developed into NBA guys). By that point, GU's entire roster was almost filled with Pac 12 level talent. GU spends more money on its program, and generates greater program revenue than Butler. Their capacity for recruiting top 50 talent, even after Butler's league change, is greater. And unlike GU, Butler never seems to have the coaching stability that GU has with Coach Few. It's not a good comparison. I talked to at least 3 college basketball analysts after this season, and all three said they would be shocked if GU's recruiting doesn't significantly improve as a result of the national title game appearance.....that they had a much greater chance to improve on it than Butler did for a whole bunch of reasons, including the fact that they are a west coast team. I mean, Gonzaga has been a number one seed two times. They been ranked #1 in the nation. Not a single Turner or CBS person referred to Gonzaga as a mid major program during the final 4 broadcasts. It was a shock to no one that they were in Glendale.
    Yet Butler got an arguably bigger prize, at least in the long term - an invitation to the Big East.

Gonzaga, even after Butler's back to back national title games, had and still has a way bigger national brand name than Butler.
    I live in the mecca of College basketball and i disagree. While i toot our horn constantly, most non-zag fans in these parts still view the Zags as nothing more than a Mid Major blip on the radar.

Gonzaga has landed MANY top 50 players....guys like Will Richardson....since around 2004. Will might be rated at #34 with 247Sports, but he's at #80 with scout.com.
    And i know we still will. Some classes will be more loaded than others.

I talked to at least 3 college basketball analysts after this season, and all three said they would be shocked if GU's recruiting doesn't significantly improve as a result of the national title game appearance.
    Well here we are, with a whole lot of people complaining constantly about our level of recruiting. Go Figure.

I live in the mecca of College basketball and i disagree. While i toot our horn constantly, most non-zag fans in these parts still view the Zags as nothing more than a Mid Major blip on the radar.
    If ESPN had a chance to broadcast a game between Duke and Gonzaga in NYC, or Butler and Duke in NYC, I'd bet $100 they would chose Duke/GU. Every time. I won't even get into merchandising, TV contracts and such. All in GU's favor. Some people don't understand how much money GU makes with the Root Sports deal. The entire WCC contract with ESPN is based on Gonzaga being in the league.

That's what I mean by national brand name.

Butler getting into the Big East was simply a function of their location on the map. Not that having a good basketball program didn't matter as well, although the league still has some dreadful teams like DePaul.

This mecca of college basketball you're are talking about must be profoundly ignorant about the game. By definition a mid major blip doesn't make it to as many NCAA tournament's as GU has. Never mind the number one rankings, the way they travel, their NCAA tournament seedings, etc. Which is why I tend to pay more attention to what ESPN thinks and such. They know where the money is. Then again, a good pal of mine lives in Indianapolis, and he says that the Zags are viewed with great respect by people in the area who know the college game.

I want this program to get better and better players, and to see the program grow and grow. If you're satisfied with where it is, that's cool. But I want better, and GU can do better without sacrificing its values.

But I also remember when this program had assistants who slept in cars on recruiting trips. Do not think for a millisecond that I am not grateful for what we have. I saw the team when it lost game after game after game.

Now back to our regular programming.....Will Richardson's visit to Gonzaga. All indications that the visit wasn't cancelled. Look out for that HAIR

If ESPN had a chance to broadcast a game between Duke and Gonzaga in NYC, or Butler and Duke in NYC, I'd bet $100 they would chose Duke/GU. Every time. I won't even get into merchandising, TV contracts and such. All in GU's favor. Some people don't understand how much money GU makes with the Root Sports deal. The entire WCC contract with ESPN is based on Gonzaga being in the league.

That's what I mean by national brand name.

Butler getting into the Big East was simply a function of their location on the map. Not that having a good basketball program didn't matter as well, although the league still has some dreadful teams like DePaul.

This mecca of college basketball you're are talking about must be profoundly ignorant about the game. By definition a mid major blip doesn't make it to as many NCAA tournament's as GU has. Never mind the number one rankings, the way they travel, their NCAA tournament seedings, etc. Which is why I tend to pay more attention to what ESPN thinks and such. They know where the money is. Then again, a good pal of mine lives in Indianapolis, and he says that is not how the Zags are viewed by people who know the game.

I want this program to get better and better players, and to see the program grow and grow. If you're satisfied with where it is, that's cool. But I want better, and GU can do better without sacrificing is values.

But I also remember when this program had assistants who slept in cars on recruiting trips. Do not think for a millisecond that I am not grateful for what we have. I saw the team when it lost game after game after game.
    I dont think we disagree on much here, most of what you are saying i understand and think is true. I just think the average Zag fan over inflates our status compared to how other people view the program. Maybe im jaded from years debating Fans in this part of the country, idk. Of course i want the program to continue to grow, but i also understand that i need to be somewhat realistic in my expectations. We wont always have favorable brackets, teams as stacked as last year, or the hunger those guys played with. The Mecca im referring to is the IU-UL-UK triangle. 15 national championships in a small area. The people around here make up the largest tv ratings for college basketball by a large margin, so they are pretty well aware of our program, they just dont necessarily respect it on the level their programs are at or have been at.

Cool

Now back to our regular programming.....Will Richardson's visit to Gonzaga. All indications that the visit wasn't cancelled. Look out for that HAIR

Kiddwell happy. Welcome, Will! You'll love being a Zag. It's America's Team. Really.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

And i know we still will. Some classes will be more loaded than others.

Well here we are, with a whole lot of people complaining constantly about our level of recruiting. Go Figure.
    Not here in the heart of ACC/SEC country. I wear my Zag swag everywhere and get nothing but compliments and kudos. We're a national powerhouse and those that argue to the contrary are dinosaurs.

I live in the mecca of College basketball and i disagree.
    Mecca
    (2nd def.) a place that people visit or hope to visit

I doubt that anyone outside of Louisville and its suburbs would refer to it as the Mecca of college basketball. Most would say it's in second place in its own state.

If there's such a thing as a Mecca of college basketball (keeping in mind its long history) it would be either New York and MSG, or Philly with the Palestra. I would say in basketball terms, there are about 100 fans that would like to go to one of the above for every one that would want to visit Louisville.

Louisville is just one of a bunch of power programs, and in the second tier of those.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Mecca
    (2nd def.) a place that people visit or hope to visit

I doubt that anyone outside of Louisville and its suburbs would refer to it as the Mecca of college basketball. Most would say it's in second place in its own state.

If there's such a thing as a Mecca of college basketball (keeping in mind its long history) it would be either New York and MSG, or Philly with the Palestra. I would say in basketball terms, there are about 100 fans that would like to go to one of the above for every one that would want to visit Louisville.

Louisville is just one of a bunch of power programs, and in the second tier of those.
    NYC’s West 4th Street playground.....is Eden.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/West..._Street_Courts

Mecca of hoops = Indiana H.S. Basketball
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1