Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Jim Meehan's Starting Five

Quote Originally Posted by Worthington View Post
    Bud Withers posted an interview with Mark Few on his blog today. Here are Few's quotes about the three wings in question.

You can read the full article here http://en.bloguru.com/GloryHounds/30...th-the-gonzaga
    Sigh.....believe what you want but he's not starting day one. I'm having flashback's to last offseason when the board was convinced that the Tillie kid was a for sure redshirt or that Melson was garbage. I'm sticking to my analysis; Rui starter at 3, Norvell first guard/wing off bench, Wade second guard off bench, Jones/Kispert 3rd wing off bench.

My suspicion is that regardless of who starts we will see a lot of Novell with Perkins and Melson.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by btzag View Post
    Sigh.....believe what you want but he's not starting day one. I'm having flashback's to last offseason when the board was convinced that the Tillie kid was a for sure redshirt or that Melson was garbage. I'm sticking to my analysis; Rui starter at 3, Norvell first guard/wing off bench, Wade second guard off bench, Jones/Kispert 3rd wing off bench.
    I don't think he starts day one, but it's been my position for a while that he's the starter by the end of the year.

Sure a year in the program is an advantage for Rui and Zach, but they are both extremely inexperienced division one basketball players. If Kispert has the basketball IQ, talent, and is the best fit, it doesn't seem very inconceivable to me at all that he could leapfrog two guys that have practically no in-game division one experience. That's just my semi-bold prediction though, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Rui or Zach started because I think they're both awesome players. Either way, I see all three players as big contributors this season.

I attended the The 5th Annual Gonzaga Season Tip-off tonight. Tommy was supposed to speak on behalf of the men's basketball program. However, this afternoon I received an email stating that due to unforeseen scheduling changes, Coach Lloyd would be unable to speak this evening and he would be replaced with Stephen Gentry, Director of Men’s Basketball Operations. During the Q/A period, someone asked what his starting lineup would be. It caught him off guard, but he did address the question. He said it was still early, and that several players had a shot at the 3, but he thought Rui might get a shot at the 3 to give us some size, with J3 at the 4, and Tillie at the 5 to start the season. He made it clear that it was all far from settled. He also stated that Norvell would be in strong competition for the 2/3 and that he would get serious minutes as would Larson, Wade, and Kispert. Lots of possible lineups as we are only 10 days into practice. Reborn, I think you would have liked hearing that Rui might get a run at the 3.

Forgot to mention, it was rumored that the reason Tommy couldn't speak tonight is that he had two secret recruits on campus and had to expend his energy on that rather that the Season Tip-off event tonight. Time well spent we hope.

Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    I attended the The 5th Annual Gonzaga Season Tip-off tonight. Tommy was supposed to speak on behalf of the men's basketball program. However, this afternoon I received an email stating that due to unforeseen scheduling changes, Coach Lloyd would be unable to speak this evening and he would be replaced with Stephen Gentry, Director of Men’s Basketball Operations. During the Q/A period, someone asked what his starting lineup would be. It caught him off guard, but he did address the question. He said it was still early, and that several players had a shot at the 3, but he thought Rui might get a shot at the 3 to give us some size, with J3 at the 4, and Tillie at the 5 to start the season. He made it clear that it was all far from settled. He also stated that Norvell would be in strong competition for the 2/3 and that he would get serious minutes as would Larson, Wade, and Kispert. Lots of possible lineups as we are only 10 days into practice. Reborn, I think you would have liked hearing that Rui might get a run at the 3.
    Thanks amaron. Rui might be that rare Few exception where the raw talent outweighs the mental lapses. While he might make some boneheaded mistakes, the positives he’ll bring to the floor will be greater than the negatives.

Forgot to mention, it was rumored that the reason Tommy couldn't speak tonight is that he had two secret recruits on campus and had to expend his energy on that rather that the Season Tip-off event tonight. Time well spent we hope.
    He does have 2 on a visit. Petrusev and another.

Put in a bad spot, Gentry was shuffling I’m sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Petrusev and Richardson.

Don't know much about the former, but love the latter.

A ton of NWG in Richardson's game.

Looks like he's always moving slowly, but the game is as well.

Finds the right guy in the right place at the right time. Would be a huge get, but the kid is from Georgia.

Edit: I kept saying Williams, but meant Richardson, as his first name is William, and is from GA (Oak Hill Academy).

Seen here: Will Richardson

He has already visited Georgia, Ohio St, Oregon, now Gonzaga. Surprised no So Cal teams = 4 corners of the map.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Will Richardson, 4 star guard...as per Guru..

Thanks for a very good post. It's always nice to hear from someone who was actually at an event. I wonder who was on campus yesterday. I was under the impression Will Richardson wasn't going to visiting until next week. It's a good idea though to have them both here the same weekend. I sure hope that all goes well. I would have liked being there. I think maybe next year I'll attend. I've never been to one. Gentry gave us a very good reason to start Rui. He is a very good rebounder, and the team is shorter this year at the 4, and 5. Rui led the team in rebounds in the scrimmage Saturday at KIK. I also like what Mark Few said in his interview with Withers which was that Rui is great in transition and in space. I wasn't sure what he meant when Few said he's very good in space. But I know he can fly. I was really impressed by Rui's dribbling and ball handling skills when he was leading a fast break. I saw it all the same way Gentry did from the beginning of our conversations this summer on who would be the starting five, ect. I have always believed that Norvell would come off the bench and get a lot of minutes at the two and three like Melson did last year. I thought that Wade would be a good back up for Perkins and may get some minutes at the two. Finally I've always believed that Larsen would not start but will be a very good player coming in off the bench.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!