Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pitino fired!

Default Pitino fired!

Good start

Louisville has some superior players. Maybe they'd be attracted to a FF and NC team.

Technically, it's unpaid administrative leave and the trustees will make a final decision in October.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Louisville has some superior players. Maybe they'd be attracted to a FF and NC team.
    That would be perfect......they already have "fat" bank accounts so they won't need scholarships'

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Technically, it's unpaid administrative leave and the trustees will make a final decision in October.
    Call it what you want... he is as gone as gone can be.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Five potential replacements for Rick Pitino as Louisville's basketball coach

Tom Crean, former Indiana coach
    Chris Mooney, Richmond
    Mitch Henderson, Princeton
    Scott Davenport, Bellarmine
    Bob McKillop, Davidson

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

There are no potential replacements until the status if the Louisville program is determined. My bet is that they appoint an assistant as interim for this upcoming season and make a long term decision based on the fallout. If they are hammered, it will be tough to bring anyone in.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Two Princeton grads....Mitch much too buttoned down, the anti Pitino. McKillop has passed on majors before, a GREAT coach and person. Too old, also. Crean is perfect, for all the right as wrong reasons. Plus he has the suits already and he prowls even more than RP did.

Yeah, McKillop is kind of a head scratcher to me.

Probably as clean as can be, but a little long in the tooth (as Jazz mentioned) for the time it'll take to right this ship.

Plus, what currently employed Coach would bail on his program @ this late date?
    Last edited by sittingon50; 09-27-2017 at 02:24 PM.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    There are no potential replacements until the status if the Louisville program is determined. My bet is that they appoint an assistant as interim for this upcoming season and make a long term decision based on the fallout. If they are hammered, it will be tough to bring anyone in.
    Do they have any assistant coaches who are clean? I realize that their options are limited, but they might want to bring in an outside face just to show that they are serious about changing the culture. I might call some crazy disciplinarian out of retirement and ask if he wants the job for a year. Would Bobby Knight want the job?
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    I realize that their options are limited, but they might want to bring in an outside face just to show that they are serious about changing the culture.
    Randy B.?
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    Randy B.?
    Doubt it. For one thing, Randy doesn't win the "press conference" and doesn't possess the personality for a job of that nature. Secondly, Randy has NCAA violations on his record. I would imagine the new coach is going to be totally clean.

L'Ville has lost two of its 2018 recruits:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ecommit-school

Anfernee Simons is a shooting guard (more of a combo guard) that is ranked at #6 with 247Sports. Florida could be a possible destination.

Courtney Ramey is also a point guard. #46 nationally with 247Sports.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    October is Sunday. As per State employee rules, they have to give 10 days notice. He is fired.

5Star recruit Brian Bowen removed from all team activities:

http://louisville.247sports.com/Bolt...ies--108074525

I bet the Big Blue Nation is loving this. Not that their own coach hasn't had run ins with the NCAA before, but this L'Ville thing is at a different level.

The Sporting News on Pitino's downfall:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...k1j3rz5dhveq0x

There are a number of names being mentioned to replace Pitino....Tom Crean, Bob McKillop........

But with talks about a possible "death penalty," L'Ville will be lucky if it can get a successful local high school coach. No big name coach, or even a young, talented one, is going to want to sit thru a death penalty.

The key thing that L'Ville will be looking for is someone with a pristine reputation. Wins are gravy at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    There are a number of names being mentioned to replace Pitino....Tom Crean, Bob McKillop........

But with talks about a possible "death penalty," L'Ville will be lucky if it can get a successful local high school coach. No big name coach, or even a young, talented one, is going to want to sit thru a death penalty.

The key thing that L'Ville will be looking for is someone with a pristine reputation. Wins are gravy at this point.
    With a death penalty, they wouldn't need a coach.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Obviously.....but Louisville has to hire a coach NOW, before any such death penalty is handed down. I am talking about them trying to hire a coach with the possibility of a death penalty hanging over the team. Who would want to get hired, run a clean program, and then see the death penalty thrown at the program?

The comments below from the one of the TSN articles above really shows how pathetic Pitino is. He is too good of a coach to do this. It's kind of a myth that he has always recruited (or purchased) one 5 star player after the next:

It is easy enough to look at the multiple schools that had assistant coaches indicted by the U.S. Attorney on Tuesday and others whose programs were dragged into those 100-some pages of ignominy and assume there is only one avenue to success: But there are college teams that win a lot without engaging in anything so untoward.

Pitino was able to get 25 wins and a No. 3 seed in 2011 out of a team whose star player, Preston Knowles, was offered scholarships by Marshall, Morehead State, Western Kentucky and Miami. (No, the other Miami). He was so gifted as a developer and organizer of talent, it’s possible only Bob Knight and Larry Brown were his superiors in those departments. He could have won his way to retirement on a series of players just like Preston Knowles.
    Last edited by CDC84; 09-27-2017 at 06:16 PM.

Saw this on the BYU board. Had to chuckle. https://twitter.com/blk_tray/status/913162201489326080

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Very unlikely that happens BUT I believe all their recruits would be "free" to transfer AND be immediately eligible...which I believe is one reason the NCAA will not make that decision. SMU football has never recovered and I also believe the ACC and ESPN would not be happy either...

Saw this on the BYU board. Had to chuckle. https://twitter.com/blk_tray/status/913162201489326080

That is hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Very unlikely that happens BUT I believe all their recruits would be "free" to transfer AND be immediately eligible...which I believe is one reason the NCAA will not make that decision. SMU football has never recovered and I also believe the ACC and ESPN would not be happy either...
    That would get really sticky; having already started classes @ one school & then jumping into classes well underway at the next? And how soon could you even make the decision?

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    That would get really sticky; having already started classes @ one school & then jumping into classes well underway at the next? And how soon could you even make the decision?
    I don't think they will, but the school could release them today and ask the NCAA to grant an immediate waver.

I don't expect that to happen.

I expect Louisville to drag their feet until it becomes effectively too late
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

I love one of the comments, "whoever created that won the Internet today." That is brilliant.