Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: St Marys Gets Another Big for This Season - Euro Matthias Tass

Default OT: St Marys Gets Another Big for This Season - Euro Matthias Tass

Saw this article on the ESPN College Basketball page this morning. Interesting that they were able to get somebody so late in the process. Hasn't school already started at St Marys? I am assuming that they didn't think they had quite enough to compete with the Zags and needed more frontcourt help. This kid is good but I don't think he is anywhere near as athletic as J3. It should make things more interesting though!

Link: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ay-saint-marys
    Colorado Zag Fan

Cool What's good for Saint Mary's is good for the WCC.

From the article he sounds like a good player. Pretty good programs recruiting him. Saint Mary's is also bringing a 7'1" center off a redshirt this season. Randy's doing a nice job of bringing in quality bigs. (Now, if he could just work on his & Mark Few's handshake after Gaels losses.)

:]
    Last edited by Kiddwell; 09-27-2017 at 01:20 PM.
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

It could be an interesting scenario.

Bennet brings in more bigs to counter the Zags, the Zags go small, run around and through the bigs and tie them in knots.
    It's not funny.

Scout has him as a 2018 prospect. I wonder if the ESPN article is wrong or if he came over a year early. Either way Scout says he would be a top 100 prospect in the states.

Good. I want SMC to get better. A true rival in conference would be fun. They've been a fake rival to date.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeZag View Post
    Saw this article on the ESPN College Basketball page this morning. Interesting that they were able to get somebody so late in the process. Hasn't school already started at St Marys? I am assuming that they didn't think they had quite enough to compete with the Zags and needed more frontcourt help. This kid is good but I don't think he is anywhere near as athletic as J3. It should make things more interesting though!

Link: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ay-saint-marys
    Looks darn good to me.....Nice for RB

BUT SMC can play only 5 guys at a time. When talent is left on the bench in favor of your top 6 or 7 kids, SMC could have a bench full of Magic Johnsons and it really wouldn't matter. <---putting the best face on things.

wow, exactly what we needed this season.

this kid is good and has played very well vs solid competition.

a double double machine.

an envious congrats to them
    “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    BUT SMC can play only 5 guys at a time. When talent is left on the bench in favor of your top 6 or 7 kids, SMC could have a bench full of Magic Johnsons and it really wouldn't matter. <---putting the best face on things.
    SMC's going to miss Rahon more than they know.

Looks like a great get for SMC.

Wonder if this kid was on Tommy's radar.

I agree with the sentiment: good for SMC=good for WCC=good for GU.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    He was good but he was nowhere near Mills, McConnell or Delly

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    And Gonzaga is going to miss ........

Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    He was good but he was nowhere near Mills, McConnell or Delly
    agreed on both counts, but he was still the straw that stirred the drink last season and without that they'll struggle more than many on this board are predicting. at the same time we really aren't going to know how good/bad they are until later in the season given they put together another creampuff OOC schedule.

Rahon is one of those guys who was better than his stats said. Season before last, when SMC had graduated their whole starting lineup, no one expected much, and look what they did. He made everyone else better.

Wow, what a nice get. RB doing well, as usual.
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Rahon is one of those guys who was better than his stats said.
    Completely agree. From the games I saw last year, Rahon was soooo good. Obviously he's not Mills or Delly, but he was a vital piece to their success last year. He was smart with the ball and could break down defenses and also take a lot of the load off of Naar. He IS a big loss for them... So much so, I wouldn't be shocked if they took a step back without him, despite the incomers and returning core.

It will be harder on Landale having just one veteran guard giving him the ball in the right places.

Anyone who saw the SMC/Arizona game.....Rahon put on a clinic in terms of operating their ball screen offense. He had 8 assists in that game.

That being said, I don't know how many times I have said the Gaels are going to miss this guy or that guy, and as a result, a down year is coming, and yet they still win 26 games, and new players step up to the plate. Despite being a rival, I have to admit they have a heck of a program. Even with the easy non-league scheduling, you'd figure at some point they would have a .500 season or something like that, but the wins keep coming.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Anyone who saw the SMC/Arizona game.....Rahon put on a clinic in terms of operating their ball screen offense. He had 8 assists in that game.

That being said, I don't know how many times I have said the Gaels are going to miss this guy or that guy, and as a result, a down year is coming, and yet they still win 26 games, and new players step up to the plate. Despite being a rival, I have to admit they have a heck of a program. Even with the easy non-league scheduling, you'd figure at some point they would have a .500 season or something like that, but the wins keep coming.
    They do have a heck of a program, but judging them on winning 26 games and not having a .500 season is laughable given their scheduling. Each year, their tournament hopes seem to hing on them taking one or two from GU. That methodology has backfired plenty on them, and it could this year, too. If they win most of all of their OOC and then drop 1 or 2 games in conference outside of GU and then split with GU and don't win the WCC tournament... there's no way they get in the dance, even though they'll likely rack up around 26 wins.

I get what you're saying about them repeatedly bouncing back from losing great talent, but I still believe Rahon is one they're going to miss more than people think.

St Mary's certainly proved they deserved to be in the dance last year. And this year's team is even better. They are really going to be tough and may end up ranked higher than GU for a good part of the season. The post Karno world is a scary place for me right now. Really hoping all of my doubts and insecurities are dispelled at PK80. Can't wait for this exciting season to get underway so I can watch all of our new talent prove why they deserve to play at GU by shooting the lights out and playing stellar defense.

Long Beach State plays a tough non conference schedule....they have been to the Dance twice in 20 years.....the Gaels have been there six times.....I think Randy knows what he can do........... and what he is doing...

The article doesn't even mention Jock Perry.....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Long Beach State plays a tough non conference schedule....they have been to the Dance twice in 20 years.....the Gaels have been there six times.....I think Randy knows what he can do........... and what he is doing...
    that would be a reasonable point if the teams were anywhere near similar in terms of quality for most of that period. bennett deserves massive respect for the program he created, and the rest of this post is meaningless if he didn't do an incredible job identifying and developing talent, putting together a system, etc, etc...

but if you look at the two teams' product on the court, i think it's pretty clear to me that LBSU overachieved by making it twice, and SMC underachieved by only making it 6 times. in the past decade, kenpom had SMC in the top 50 8 times and the top 100 every year. lbsu was in the top 50 one year, and top 100 a second year.

sometimes great coaches have blindspots or weaknesses. randy, it feels like, perennially overachieves in terms of the team he puts on the floor (probably job #1 for the HC) -- yet all-too-often underachieves in terms of putting his team in a position to get an at-large bid if they don't win the conference tournament. acknowledging both is healthy, and neither invalidates the other.

but the point you seemed to be trying to make is neither reasonable nor useful. smc isn't like lbsu. and randy does a great job at some things, while others could use improvement. yay to him for building a perennial top-level program. deserved side-eye @ him for too often only getting those teams to the NIT.

The point is that Randy doesn't need your advice...he is doing just fine playing the cards he has...

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    SMC underachieved by only making it 6 times. in the past decade, kenpom had SMC in the top 50 8 times and the top 100 every year.
    Number of at larges usually doesn't get to 50 though. Closer to low 40's is probably the cutoff.

So 6 tourney berths out of 8 top 50 finishes seems, at first glance, to be in line statistically.

I think it's significant to note that SMC seldom gets higher than 3 star recruits, also. And that they've made the tourney 6 times in the last 13 seasons, beginning a few years after 2-27

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    The point is that Randy doesn't need your advice...he is doing just fine playing the cards he has...
    with great players like simpson, mm, holt, and waldow playing in the NIT their senior years, or quality transfers like bright, simmons, and jackson moving to SMC only to leave without an NCAA tourney appearance, or dane pineau playing 4 years and getting to play in the tourney once-- who could possibly think there may be room for improvement or something to criticize here?

but, yeah, obviously he doesn't need to listen to me (no sarcasm). total package he's clearly a top-40 coach and probably top-20; he's a great hc and that statement stands without further qualification. but my point was that criticism on that one aspect is warranted and that the argument you presented (citing lbsu) was flawed.

after the last few years the NCAA tournament committee has spoken publicly about why some teams got in and some teams didn't. the theme was explicit and clear: it's about who you play and who you beat. if you're repeatedly one of the best teams not invited, you'd think maybe you'd listen to them.
    Last edited by soccerdud; 09-28-2017 at 08:15 PM.