Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Corruption Charges

I coach AAU Hoops.

Man, I'm coaching the wrong teams!

Quote Originally Posted by btzag View Post
    These head coaches absolutely know what's going on and Miller, Pearl, Martin, Enfield, etc should all be fired immediately. Just look at Pitino's insistence he knew nothing and now track all the things 'coach-2' did during the investigation. IF they insist they knew nothing they are flat out lying to everyone and should never be considered trustworthy again in this sport.
    I think there are gonna be some head coaches who find themselves unemployed in the near future. Kinda makes me worry that Tommy Lloyd is going to be a hot commodity. Why wouldn't one of these programs want a guy like Lloyd? He recruits well, does it the right way and has been part of a winning program for two decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    I think there are gonna be some head coaches who find themselves unemployed in the near future. Kinda makes me worry that Tommy Lloyd is going to be a hot commodity. Why wouldn't one of these programs want a guy like Lloyd? He recruits well, does it the right way and has been part of a winning program for two decades.
    Yeah that is a possibility, but I would guess things are happening too close to this season to worry about Lloyd for now. After the season, definitely something to ponder.

These head coaches absolutely know what's going on and Miller, Pearl, Martin, Enfield, etc should all be fired immediately. Just look at Pitino's insistence he knew nothing and now track all the things 'coach-2' did during the investigation. IF they insist they knew nothing they are flat out lying to everyone and should never be considered trustworthy again in this sport.
    IMO they absolutely know

now if they DONT know then they are negligent in the operation and management of their program and still responsible even if they try to duck
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    IMO they absolutely know

now if they DONT know then they are negligent in the operation and management of their program and still responsible even if they try to duck
    Do you know...........Does the NCAA require teams to report all incidents where a handler or recruit inquires about money?

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Good article on the genesis of the investigation:
    http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/c...s/201709270146
    Good read. Blazer sure has a trail of problems, wow.

At the first March 3, 2016, meeting Mr. Dawkins said the good thing about working with assistant coaches like Mr. Evans is that "the head coach ... ain't willing to [take bribes] 'cause they're making too much money. And it's too risky,'" according to the complaint.
    Just because head coaches may not take bribes, that doesn't mean their not clued in and allowing it to happen. As much time as coaches spend together, I can't imagine something that includes this much money would go unknown.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

To those on college BB forums laughing or mocking us believing we're clean (or at least relatively clean), I would point to the near zero-turnover in assistant coaches (except for promotions) over the years, and how close/loyal each coach has been to the program.

Coach Few hired Donnie Daniels, in part, based upon his contacts in California. And we have gotten in the doors of many of those high school students he started us on, and gotten almost none - though some interesting names are now popping up from SDSU, UA and USC. It would seem like there is some reason to believe that coach Daniels wasn't willing to play the game some of the others were, even when it kept failing to land that big CA fish we hoped would come.

Of course, his contacts brought us Mathews, fully-formed, highly intelligent, biggest tournament shot (other than the runner) in program history. That's not bad.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Thought this was funny and relatively on target regarding the NCAA:

"And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Been telling this board for years that Fisher at SDSU was dirty. Now you know. QED.

Never disagreed with you on that.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    To those on college BB forums laughing or mocking us believing we're clean (or at least relatively clean), I would point to the near zero-turnover in assistant coaches (except for promotions) over the years, and how close/loyal each coach has been to the program.

Coach Few hired Donnie Daniels, in part, based upon his contacts in California. And we have gotten in the doors of many of those high school students he started us on, and gotten almost none - though some interesting names are now popping up from SDSU, UA and USC. It would seem like there is some reason to believe that coach Daniels wasn't willing to play the game some of the others were, even when it kept failing to land that big CA fish we hoped would come.

Of course, his contacts brought us Mathews, fully-formed, highly intelligent, biggest tournament shot (other than the runner) in program history. That's not bad.
    If Gonzaga is somehow able to land Jordan Brown, the top 10 recruit that Donny Daniels is trying to get for GU out of Napa, CA, you will have to start to wonder about the reasons for some of his recruiting failures in California..........

That all being said, according to TSN, changing NCAA/NBA rules won't stop college basketball corruption:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...d1eorme87lyjta

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Lamont Evans who got nailed at Ok St was at S Carolina 2 years ago before being hired by Brad Underwood at OSU. I'm guessing there is some lengthy history with some of these characters.
    Thanks Bird.

Didn't do the research. Was assuming Underwoods Asst's had come from S.F. Austin
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by BoZarth View Post
    I coach AAU Hoops.

Man, I'm coaching the wrong teams!
    We got your back, BoZarth. I'll start passing the hat around this forum.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Pitino is DIRECTLY involved, per CNN.

My guess is that most of the ADs and head coaches will go down. I guess you can get a rogue assistant or whatever... but the coaches would have some inkling of this, especially when they actually land these kids.

Aren't we glad that our guys get us to the FF/NC without getting the school dirtied up? I am.
    As with Dad above, I'm very concerned Tommy will end up getting some amazingly handsome offers as entire coaching staffs get fingered and dismissed. The investigation has been going on for well over 1 year(almost 2 yrs). This is just the beginning. Many of these staffs are inter-connected. Duke should be involved but likely will escape. ALL those players with new SUV's should get some attention.......but........

I just finished reading the entire record. I wonder if the FBI has Pitino on the record denying his involvement. Being fired will be least of his worries and will face prison time with a felony conviction.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    That all being said, according to TSN, changing NCAA/NBA rules won't stop college basketball corruption:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...d1eorme87lyjta
    I thought the TSN article is pretty weak and a bit short on logic.

I guess what the author is saying is that no rules changes can eliminate human greed. I can agree with that.

But I don't think it follows that rules changes couldn't help reduce the scale of the problem:

Eliminating the one and done rule would allow the higher ranked players to skip straight to the NBA thus taking a lot of the sure-fire big money guys off the table and reducing the temptation for the cheaters.

Also, if I'm a player that has no intention of ever finishing school and values my scholarship only as a way to play pro basketball, I have very little to lose by accepting money. I'll be in the pros bragging about it before anyone is the wiser. Plus, many of the athletes come from backgrounds where what is a tiny amount of money to a shoe company will change their entire family's living situation.

However, if they received a stipend or salary in the range the article discusses, with repayment terms if certain conditions weren't met (like accepting money from outside sources) they'd have a lot more to lose. And they'd be able to help out the family while in school. The risk/reward analysis is changed.

Obviously, people would still cheat, but that doesn't mean changes to the rules couldn't help. Maybe it'd cause more problems, but the author basically sets up the argument that you shouldn't bother trying unless it will result in all cheating being eradicated.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Thought this was funny and relatively on target regarding the NCAA:

For those that didn't see the show, it was interesting to me to hear that Michelle Wolf was a scholarship D1 track athlete.

As a scholarship athlete Wolf worked 4 years and now can say she has a degree that is worth over $200K.......not exactly just for the love of the game IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    As a scholarship athlete Wolf worked 4 years and now can say she has a degree that is worth over $200K.......not exactly just for the love of the game IMO
    How is it worth over $200,000?

It's sticker price (if she is an out of state student) might be over $200,000, but that doesn't make it worth $200,000. It also doesn't mean that net costs are anywhere near $200,000. And further, it doesn't mean that she couldn't have received the same degree without working (being an athlete) by using a combination of grants, non-athletic scholarships, tuition remission and other financial aid.

It's possible she worked for four years with zero additional benefit to what she would have received even if she didn't have an athletic scholarship.

Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN 5m5 minutes ago
    More
    Oklahoma State University announced assistant basketball coach Lamont Evans has been terminated for cause.

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    How is it worth over $200,000?

It's sticker price (if she is an out of state student) might be over $200,000, but that doesn't make it worth $200,000. It also doesn't mean that net costs are anywhere near $200,000. And further, it doesn't mean that she couldn't have received the same degree without working (being an athlete) by using a combination of grants, non-athletic scholarships, tuition remission and other financial aid.

It's possible she worked for four years with zero additional benefit to what she would have received even if she didn't have an athletic scholarship.
    Out of State Tuition/Room Board/Fees/Books for William and Mary 2017-2018 total $59,091 x 4 = $236,364.00.........if she redshirted for medical reason could be as high as $295,455

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    We got your back, BoZarth. I'll start passing the hat around this forum.
    Thanks 50.

The thing that continues to befuddle me is that Pitino didn't need to cheat like this to win. He's had incredible teams in his past with zero 5 star players. If I had one coach to prepare for the national title game, it would be Pitino. Even more than Coach K. The guy can really, really coach the game. I'm mean, cheating like this is despicable at any program, but even I would understand a not so great coach at, say, Boston College doing the kinds of things Pitino did. The coach lacks coaching ability, the program isn't all that great at basketball, therefore, the temptation to get some great prep players the easy way. But Pitino didn't need to do it. Plus, he had the Louisville brand name and its rich tradition to entice players. Very disappointing.

Then again, considering his history, it's not that surprising. One guy described Pitino as being so competitive and Type A that is defies explanation. Also, he's apparently a massive workaholic. Anything to get the slightest edge.....