Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Serious Penalties Announced by NCAA vs. Pacific

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    As a famous coach once said, "The NCAA was so pissed at Kentucky for violations that it put Centenary on probation for 5 years."

I said it right from the beginning.....adding Pacific to the league was an awful, horrible decision. It took away two valuable non-league games from Gonzaga. It also took away the annual February game against a power team. And that's just the start of it.......
    Thank the Z-Man and Tiger Ted for this fiasco - Paduwan aids mentor to the detriment of the conference he is commissioner of.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

You think it's a problem now......wait until BYU bolts and the WCC has to get a 200 RPI team to replace them. The league will be worse than before BYU joined.

Pacific belongs in the WCC....BYU never did....

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Thank you, getting back to UNC and Pac's violations.

Has the NCAA just simply left the file open as an "ongoing investigation" over the years in the hope it just fades from people's memories that there is a violation at all?

It almost seems like that has to be it. I don't care how complicated the case, it's been years, and I haven't heard of any kind of penalty announced. If they never close the file, or at least wait years and years since it "hit the news" - the more they can justify a lighter penalty as "well, it's all new different people now and they have made changes and and and they bring in millions and ...." All those things they didn't do for UP.
    I think we saw with the Miami investigation that the NCAA doesn't know what they are doing. I wonder if the real reason for Pacific getting sanctioned and Miami and NC not is that those schools have more money to poke holes in NCAA investigation.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Pacific belongs in the WCC....BYU never did....
    Coach Few would disagree......link

He has a right to his opinion....after all, this is America.. .
    Last edited by bartruff1; 09-25-2017 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Coach Few would disagree......link
    He is right, too.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Have to agree with Bart on this one. Just because their RPI profile is better for us does not make a 30,000 enrollment "relative Goliath with football money to spend" fit the WCC any better ! In my humble opinion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    He is right, too.
    Well I wouldn't fire the SOB for expressing his opinion...

I don't think you or Ceo understand context or conflation....everything he said was true........ and you could say the same thing about UCLA......... but that doesn't mean they belong in the WCC......

YUP!

Quote Originally Posted by vandalzag View Post
    The obvious answer is UNC wants to continue with their focus on academics coming first and do not want the student athletes to miss any class time.
    Exactly! I knew there was a good reason...

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    You think it's a problem now......wait until BYU bolts and the WCC has to get a 200 RPI team to replace them. The league will be worse than before BYU joined.
    As much as I can't stand BYU being in the WCC, I believe you are correct, CDC84. As for a replacement, here's my crystal ball (which has been known to fog up on many occasions). I'm thinking.....

272 RPI to be exact,...... IMHO. We shall see......

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketb...basketball-rpi

But this could take years,... many years. I don't see BYU going anywhere soon. I may not be around to actually see it happen.

Sorry to wander off topic from the OP, but this thread has seemed to expand in several directions from the OP and got sucked into it. It hit an emotional chord with me.

Quote Originally Posted by All Weather Fan View Post
    Have to agree with Bart on this one. Just because their RPI profile is better for us does not make a 30,000 enrollment "relative Goliath with football money to spend" fit the WCC any better ! In my humble opinion of course.
    how does PAC 12 explain Stanford with 7k and ASU WITH 58k (undergrads) playing in the same confrence?

Quote Originally Posted by Zagineer View Post
    As much as I can't stand BYU being in the WCC, I believe you are correct, CDC84. As for a replacement, here's my crystal ball (which has been known to fog up on many occasions). I'm thinking.....

272 RPI to be exact,...... IMHO. We shall see......

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketb...basketball-rpi

But this could take years,... many years. I don't see BYU going anywhere soon. I may not be around to actually see it happen.

Sorry to wander off topic from the OP, but this thread has seemed to expand in several directions from the OP and got sucked into it. It hit an emotional chord with me.
    That makes two of us ....but I don't have years....a new coach and a new Key might speed things up...if they beat the Gaels at Moraga that might raise some eyebrows....

Louisville might be looking for a new conference to join in a few years.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    how does PAC 12 explain Stanford with 7k and ASU WITH 58k (undergrads) playing in the same confrence?
    Stanford has fewer commuters?

Quote Originally Posted by All Weather Fan View Post
    By that logic, GU is not a good fit for the WCC. GU spending on basketball dwarfs spending by all other WCC institutions not named BYU, to go along with a national brand. GU and BYU are outliers.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    By that logic, GU is not a good fit for the WCC. GU spending on basketball dwarfs spending by all other WCC institutions not named BYU, to go along with a national brand. GU and BYU are outliers.
    well... maybe we aren't.

Stanford my be a good fit, if they are interested in playing football as a independent and want to play in a church league with high school gyms...at least they are located in a State on the West Coast..

Even the BYU fans don't think they belong in the WCC...of course..... some of the GU fans don't think Gonzaga belongs in the WCC..

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Stanford my be a good fit, if they are interested in playing football as a independent and want to play in a church league with high school gyms...at least they are located in a State on the West Coast..
    Swap the PAC for BYU, straight across?
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Stanford has fewer commuters?
    Despite the difference, Stanford's aggregate IQ is higher.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    "The NCAA said Wednesday that [former Men's Head Basketball Coach Ron] Verlin failed to promote an atmosphere of compliance when he violated academic misconduct and recruiting rules to get prospects eligible. He also failed to monitor his coaches and violated NCAA ethics rules when he encouraged others to give false information during the investigation. The baseball program was also cited because former coach Ed Sprague impermissibly provided an athletic training student with a $16,000 scholarship to help with the housing costs of two baseball student-athletes, including her brother."

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-punish...b.html?src=rss

"Ron Verlin ... the former head coach of the men's basketball team at the University of the Pacific ... is ... the twin brother of Idaho Vandals men's basketball coach Don Verlin."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Verlin

"Verlin and former assistant Dwight Young were both hit with eight-year show-cause penalties. Former assistant Joe Ford received a seven-year show-cause penalty."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...nalty/?src=rss
    Yeah, the Baseball 'slap' is quite the hit. The baseball Coach had a freed up scholarship... so wanted to reward 2 upper class players who had been with the program.... he asked the 'compliance department' how he could proceed...Evidently there is a formula...sounded complicated, but the compliance department should know how to solve it. So, it became apparent from them that he had to go another route. He approached the Assistant AD .... and they decided on the 'student trainer position....... When it was all said and done; after the violation was uncovered..... the Assistant AD ran the numbers again..... and he could have just given the two players the money........ Such a Farce!!!! NCAA investigators tried to hammer the Baseball Coach.... but the NCAA judging committee wouldn't have anything to do with THAT! (PROBABLY SAVED THEM A HUGE LAW SUIT!). Bottom line, violations had occurred in the BB prog. However, THE REAL STORY BEHIND THE 'BELATED CHARGES' ....will never surface in the court!

HA HA HA!

A $5,000 fine? I don't know anybody who attended Pacific, but if you give me one hour at any sports bar within 10 miles of the Pacific campus I guaranty you that I can raise the $5,000.
    $500,000 is real money. $5,000 is couch cushion change, even for an obscure CA school.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.