Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Serious Penalties Announced by NCAA vs. Pacific

Zagceo --

You quote DixieZag: "It is amazing. UNC, 20 years of violating the core element of "college athletics" - not requiring their players to actually be "in college" in the real sense, but nothing punishing them, yet.

Then you offer this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    UNC won't visit White House....can't even be honest about why..........LINK
    Are you suggesting UNC's long-awaited punishment was a requirement for the UNC players to shake our President's little hand? And maybe be subjected to one of his trademark never ending arm grabs as well? And maybe get photographed wearing one of the President's made-in-China ball caps saying "Make America Great Again"? If this is the NCAA's punishment decision, I think it is a pretty harsh response to a piddling 20 years of cheating. I wouldn't want my kid to have to endure any of that. I think Coach Williams' declining to accept that punishment is totally justified. Just sayin'.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    Zagceo --

You quote DixieZag: "It is amazing. UNC, 20 years of violating the core element of "college athletics" - not requiring their players to actually be "in college" in the real sense, but nothing punishing them, yet.

Then you offer this:

Are you suggesting UNC's long-awaited punishment was a requirement for the UNC players to shake our President's little hand? And maybe be subjected to one of his trademark never ending arm grabs as well? And maybe get photographed wearing one of the President's made-in-China ball caps saying "Make America Great Again"? If this is the NCAA's punishment decision, I think it is a pretty harsh response to a piddling 20 years of cheating. I wouldn't want my kid to have to endure any of that. I think Coach Williams' declining to accept that punishment is totally justified. Just sayin'.
    haaaaahaaaahaaaa....

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    Zagceo --

Then you offer this:

I am quite certain that UNC will jump on to any bandwagon that might help sway public opinion their way.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I have absolutely no idea what this had to do with the topic we were discussing.

We were discussing UNC, their academic violations, the lack of NCAA action.

So, I'm not sure why you would even bring that up in this thread, it is completely irrelevant to this topic.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

haaaaahaaaahaaaa....

Oh, I see.

You were just trolling. So, that makes sense, now.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I have absolutely no idea what this had to do with the topic we were discussing.

We were discussing UNC, their academic violations, the lack of NCAA action.

So, I'm not sure why you would even bring that up in this thread, it is completely irrelevant to this topic.
    UNC press release today about not being able to find suitable dates to make White House visit.....UNC can't even be honest about the real reason....kitzbuel made excellent point about swaying public opinion.......

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I am quite certain that UNC will jump on to any bandwagon that might help sway public opinion their way.
    Or perhaps they did it on principle ...... as I hope Gonzaga would have done....

As a famous coach once said, "The NCAA was so pissed at Kentucky for violations that it put Centenary on probation for 5 years."

I said it right from the beginning.....adding Pacific to the league was an awful, horrible decision. It took away two valuable non-league games from Gonzaga. It also took away the annual February game against a power team. And that's just the start of it.......

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Or perhaps they did it on principle ...... as I hope Gonzaga would have done....
    UNC and Roy Williams have suddenly found principles.........hahaha.....not according to today's press release

The Tar Heels attributed the decision to scheduling difficulties rather than political animus for President Trump
    just more excuses

I suspect Old Roy didn't want to go by himself....but whatever the reason, I think it is great....

The UNC probe is a little complicated because the report that was done didn't find any fraud or impropriety in anything done by the athletic department or the athletic advisers. The fraud was all within one department of the University (African American Studies) where many professors and instructors were not requiring the students to do much (if any) actual work to get grades. Non athletes that took the courses got the same "grade with no work" treatment as the athletes so the dilemma for the NCAA is how do your deal with a University wide academic scandal that isn't centered on athletics, but one that a large number of football and basketball players were involved in just because they all took classes in the scandalous department (AAS).

I think at the end of the day the NCAA will do something to UNC, but I think it will be a retroactive punishment that takes away wins or championships in the past, but I am not sure they can punish the athletic departments for allowing their players to take classes that the University had sanctioned.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    So are you agreeing with me or disagreeing? Your post could be read both ways.
    Sorry, I was completely agreeing with you. I despise UNC-CHeat with every fiber of my being.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    The UNC probe is a little complicated because the report that was done didn't find any fraud or impropriety in anything done by the athletic department or the athletic advisers. The fraud was all within one department of the University (African American Studies) where many professors and instructors were not requiring the students to do much (if any) actual work to get grades. Non athletes that took the courses got the same "grade with no work" treatment as the athletes so the dilemma for the NCAA is how do your deal with a University wide academic scandal that isn't centered on athletics, but one that a large number of football and basketball players were involved in just because they all took classes in the scandalous department (AAS).

I think at the end of the day the NCAA will do something to UNC, but I think it will be a retroactive punishment that takes away wins or championships in the past, but I am not sure they can punish the athletic departments for allowing their players to take classes that the University had sanctioned.
    Did not coaches assign athletes to the courses, and tell the instructor/TA what grades they needed to get to maintain eligibility? That is also among what I have read. The athletic department colluded to use the courses to allow SA's to maintain a grade average, by having grades artificially assigned, and in some cases, a paper written by someone else.

To say the Athletic Department had no hand in the deception, is false, from what I have read, and disingenuous at best. AT THE VERY LEAST, they should have informed the university hierarchy and steered SA's away, not towards the classes. For over 20 years, they actively allowed,athletes to take courses that often required no attendance and no work. The athletes ended up also receiving no education. FOR OVER 20 YEARS! How much more needs to be shown for you to see that the athletic department was an active participant?
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Damn, I picked Pacific to win the WCC this year....

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Did not coaches assign athletes to the courses, and tell the instructor/TA what grades they needed to get to maintain eligibility? That is also among what I have read. The athletic department colluded to use the courses to allow SA's to maintain a grade average, by having grades artificially assigned, and in some cases, a paper written by someone else.

To say the Athletic Department had no hand in the deception, is false, from what I have read, and disingenuous at best. AT THE VERY LEAST, they should have informed the university hierarchy and steered SA's away, not towards the classes. For over 20 years, they actively allowed,athletes to take courses that often required no attendance and no work. The athletes ended up also receiving no education. FOR OVER 20 YEARS! How much more needs to be shown for you to see that the athletic department was an active participant?
    I think the stuff you are referring to are the allegations raised by a former player (Rashard Mcacants) and the allegations a former academic advisor raised in her lawsuit against UNC. I beleive that stuff is still being looked at by the NCAA, but the only two "official" investigations completed thus far,have concluded that the athletic department wasnt complicit in the academic fraud

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    I think the stuff you are referring to are the allegations raised by a former player (Rashard Mcacants) and the allegations a former academic advisor raised in her lawsuit against UNC. I beleive that stuff is still being looked at by the NCAA, but the only two "official" investigations completed thus far,have concluded that the athletic department wasnt complicit in the academic fraud
    Obviously, we have read different things in different places.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/23/s...-athletes.html

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Obviously, we have read different things in different places.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/23/s...-athletes.html
    NY Times?!? Come on man! I use the most reliable source on the interwebs for everything......Wikipedia!

I guess that'll show North Carolina who's boss.
    As soon as I saw this I immediately thought of North Carolina. NCAA is bull####
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    As soon as I saw this I immediately thought of North Carolina. NCAA is bull####
    Thank you, getting back to UNC and Pac's violations.

Has the NCAA just simply left the file open as an "ongoing investigation" over the years in the hope it just fades from people's memories that there is a violation at all?

It almost seems like that has to be it. I don't care how complicated the case, it's been years, and I haven't heard of any kind of penalty announced. If they never close the file, or at least wait years and years since it "hit the news" - the more they can justify a lighter penalty as "well, it's all new different people now and they have made changes and and and they bring in millions and ...." All those things they didn't do for UP.
    Mark Twain.

Has the NCAA just simply left the file open as an "ongoing investigation" over the years in the hope it just fades from people's memories that there is a violation at all?
    No....LINK

Can you really blame them for not wanting to put themselves in the tweeter in chief's crosshairs? Didn't you see what the tweeter did to Tweek in last week's South Park? Dangerous guy to cross. Chapel Hill is said to be a nice town; wouldn't want to see it nuked.

Can you really blame them for not wanting to put themselves in the tweeter in chief's crosshairs? Didn't you see what the tweeter did to Tweek in last week's South Park? Dangerous guy to cross. Chapel Hill is said to be a nice town; wouldn't want to see it nuked.
    Don't blame them at all....but to say players wanted to attend but administration couldn't find a date that worked for both ......how bout just being honest for a change.

I would want them to go, out of respect for the office itself, and the opportunity. The opportunity would be to stand there and say their team shared a mission. But, then note that the mission they refer to is the mission of Gonzaga University:

In part:

Through engagement with knowledge, wisdom, and questions informed by classical and contemporary perspectives, Gonzaga cultivates in its students the capacities and dispositions for reflective and critical thought, lifelong learning, spiritual growth, ethical discernment, creativity, and innovation.

The Gonzaga experience fosters a mature commitment to dignity of the human person, social justice, diversity, intercultural competence, global engagement, solidarity with the poor and vulnerable, and care for the planet.
    Then note what can happen when you bring people of all backgrounds, from all over the world, to share a goal as a team.
    Mark Twain.

I would want them to go, out of respect for the office itself, and the opportunity. The opportunity would be to stand there and say their team shared a mission. But, then note that the mission they refer to is the mission of Gonzaga University:

In part:

Then note what can happen when you bring people of all backgrounds, from all over the world, to share a goal as a team.
    It would be funny to go to the White House and ignore Donnie!

The obvious answer is UNC wants to continue with their focus on academics coming first and do not want the student athletes to miss any class time.