Thread: Przemek Karnowski with Andorra

Default Przemek Karnowski with Andorra

There was another informative thread on the regular men's bb forum, but I wanted to start here with the pithiest details posted at the top of the thread. From my post on the thread on the men's bb forum:
    v
    Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Link to ACB.com, the site for the main Spanish league, Liga Endressa: First game on the schedule - Real Madrid on October 1

Link to Eurocup: First game of the season vs UNICS Kazan on October 11.

Link to the Andorra basketball club home page
    And it looks like we'll need to get used to a new number for our guy:

See the thread in the mbb forum for helpful comments from Mojo, such as this one: http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...83#post1326783

First, this one:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo13 View Post
    I think this is a great place to start Shem.
    BC Andorra is a middling team in the Spanish ACB and looks to be playing the EuroCup this season.

The Spanish ACB is one of the strongest European domestic leagues with a number of strong Euroleague teams playing in it and the EuroCup is the feeder competition into the Euroleague. Being on a weaker team in solid leagues, Shem will get plenty of opportunity for minutes but also exposure to stronger clubs. If he performs well - he will get noticed. The European leagues are a pyramid - NCAA rookies rarely start at the top and usually don't succeed if they do - it usually takes a few seasons to learn to be a pro. But the upward mobility is there to bigger/better clubs and more money.

This is similar to how Kevin Pangos got his start. Big role on a average ACB/Eurocup team - was a big part of the team having great success, was noticed for it, and moved up to the Euroleague after one season.

It seems Shem is most likely penciled in as their starting center. And of interest they have no one else on their roster over 6'9.

Essential for me, the club's twitter link: https://twitter.com/morabancandorra (Loved this: The hashtag for Shem on the club's twitter account is "#elgrankarnowski".)

Found some video linked there, welcoming Shem. (He sounds so mature and poised!):

Note: Do yourself a favor and let the next video in the queue play out. It's three of Andorra's players singing along with a very catchy tune while driving in a car. (I think Shem is going to have some fun with these guys!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSTnRPxh0CQ

You might also be rewarded if you elect the subscribe option for the team's Youtube account and elect to be notified via e-mail when they post a new video.

Can't wait for the season to start!
    Last edited by ZagNative; 09-14-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Nice initial outing for Shem in Andorra's friendly game with Tenerife. 14 points on 6/10 shooting, with 6 rebounds.

Andorra will meet Valencia Sunday, September 17, on Valencia's home court in what should be both teams' last friendly game before the start of the season. I'll be surprised if Andorra doesn't get clobbered. Valencia won the Spanish league last season. I think I did read they'll be without Antoine Diot, however, so maybe that bodes well for Shem's team.

Looks like Valencia is about the same distance from Andora as Portland is from Spokane - 500+.

Here's a story about the game from Valencia's website: http://valenciabasket.com/?p=noticias&noticia=3094

It would be nice if it would be streamed some place. Keep an eye out for live streams of video or stats, okay?

Good luck to Shem!

Edited to add: I found the interesting tidbit below in Wiki. Note that the average attendance at a Liga Endressa game would almost fit inside the MAC.

Liga ACB is one of the most popular professional indoor sports leagues in the world, with an average attendance of 6,456 for league matches in the 2016–17 season. This is the ninth-highest of any domestic professional indoor sports league in the world and the fourth-highest of any professional basketball league in the world, behind the National Basketball Association, the EuroLeague, and the Women's National Basketball Association.
    Also from Wiki, some interesting things about Andorra:
    Andorra (/ænˈdɔːrə/ (About this sound listen); Catalan: [ənˈdorə], locally [anˈdɔra]), officially the Principality of Andorra (Catalan: Principat d'Andorra), also called the Principality of the Valleys of Andorra[5] (Catalan: Principat de les Valls d'Andorra), is a sovereign landlocked microstate in Southwestern Europe, located in the eastern Pyrenees mountains and bordered by Spain and France. Created under a charter in 988, the present principality was formed in 1278. It is known as a principality as it is a diarchy headed by two Co-Princes – the Catholic Bishop of Urgell in Spain, and the President of France.

Andorra is the sixth-smallest nation in Europe, having an area of 468 km2 (181 sq mi) and a population of approximately 85,000.[1] Andorra is the 16th-smallest country in the world by land and 11th-smallest country by population.[6] Its capital Andorra la Vella is the highest capital city in Europe, at an elevation of 1,023 metres (3,356 feet) above sea level.[7] The official language is Catalan, although Spanish, Portuguese, and French are also commonly spoken.[1][8]

Andorra's tourism services an estimated 10.2 million visitors annually.[9] It is not a member of the European Union, but the euro is the official currency. It has been a member of the United Nations since 1993.[10] In 2013, the people of Andorra had the highest life expectancy in the world at 81 years, according to The Lancet.
    Looking at info about the country, I'm really curious about what kind of experience Shem will have in Andorra. It's high up in the mountains and doesn't have an airport. I'm curious to see how the team handles the travel in the winter. Looking at the photo album at Wiki, I ... just ... don't .... know ...

Image of the city where the Andorra basketball club is located, Andorra la Vella, below. I don't know ... I'd be scared ...

As of 2015, the city has a population of 22,886, and the urban area, which includes Escaldes-Engordany plus satellite villages, has over 40,000 inhabitants.

The principal industry is tourism, although the country also earns foreign income from being a tax haven. Furniture and brandies are local products. Being at an elevation of 1,023 metres (3,356 ft), it is the highest capital city in Europe and a popular ski resort.
    Rick Steves take on the place doesn't make me think I'd be planning any visits to Shem's new home any time soon:

Lie I said, good luck Shem ...
    Last edited by ZagNative; 09-17-2017 at 03:14 AM.

Andorra will meet Valencia Sunday, September 17, on Valencia's home court in what should be both teams' last friendly game before the start of the season. I'll be surprised if Andorra doesn't get clobbered. Valencia won the Spanish league last season. I think I did read they'll be without Antoine Diot, however, so maybe that bodes well for Shem's team.

Looks like Valencia is about the same distance from Andora as Portland is from Spokane - 500+.

Here's a story about the game from Valencia's website: http://valenciabasket.com/?p=noticias¬icia=3094

It would be nice if it would be streamed some place. Keep an eye out for live streams of video or stats, okay?

Good luck to Shem!

Edited to add: I found the interesting tidbit below in Wiki. Note that the average attendance at a Liga Endressa game would almost fit inside the MAC.

Also from Wiki, some interesting things about Andorra:

Looking at info about the country, I'm really curious about what kind of experience Shem will have in Andorra. It's high up in the mountains and doesn't have an airport. I'm curious to see how the team handles the travel in the winter. Looking at the photo album at Wiki, I ... just ... don't .... know ...

Image of the city where the Andorra basketball club is located, Andorra la Vella, below. I don't know ... I'd be scared ...

Rick Steves take on the place doesn't make me think I'd be planning any visits to Shem's new home any time soon:

Lie I said, good luck Shem ...
    Box canyon makes me think of Telluride, CO

Quote Originally Posted by ZionZag View Post
    Box canyon makes me think of Telluride, CO
    Without that airport !!!

I have been to Andorra and it is a beautiful area....I am a Basque and felt perfectly safe there......if you don't bother the grizzly bears, they won't bother you...Shem will love it...
    Last edited by bartruff1; 09-17-2017 at 08:14 AM.

Well, I'm surprised. Shem's team won over Valencia 72-66. Looks like Shem had 8 points, but we'll see, when and if they post a box score.

That is maybe a little surprising, Andorra is a solid, mid-grade Spanish club and they can beat the top dogs 25% of the time or so. Tenerife last year was routinely beating the big 4. Pangos had Canaria knocking off the big 4 regularly too when he was there. But its a preseaon game and the big clubs like Valencia, Real Madrid Barcelona and Baskonia have a rep of not taking even the domestic league regular season games too seriously and saving themselves for the EuroLeague. They often play more minutes to their back-ups and younger players, resting their top guys. It would be interesting to see the box score for the minutes.

Not long to wait though - Andorra's first real game is Oct 1st versus Real Madrid to start the domestic season. That will be a tough test!

Real Madrid vs. Andorra is under way. Live Stats. With 3:44 left in the first, Real Madrid leads 19-12, and Shem hasn't entered the game yet.

Well, that was closer han I expected. Real Madrid gets the win, 94-88. Shem with 2 points on only 6:05 minutes of play. I wonder what the limited playing time was about ...

Andorra leads Montakit Fuenlabrada at the half 42-41. Box Score. Shem with 8 points on 4-6 shooting, plus a rebound and an assist.

Go Shemmy!

Well, that was insane! Montakit Fuenlabrada wins it with a shot with 1 second remaining, to pull ahead at the end of overtime 95-94.

Shem made good use of his 13:53 minutes of play, coming up with 15 points on 6 of 9 shooting and 3 of 4 free throws.

Another good game for Shem in a 77-81 loss to UCAM Murcia in the ACB League, Shem earning 15 points in 21:44 on 7/10 shooting, with 6 rebounds before fouling out, ending with a value of 14. Box Score. Game highlight video here: http://acbtv.acb.com/video/11448-lac...de_ucam_murcia

Google translation of game story: http://translate.google.com/translat...%3Fid%3D135375

Another good game for Shem in a 77-81 loss to UCAM Murcia in the ACB League, Shem earning 15 points in 21:44 on 7/10 shooting, with 6 rebounds before fouling out, ending with a value of 14. Box Score. Game highlight video here: http://acbtv.acb.com/video/11448-lac...de_ucam_murcia

Google translation of game story: http://translate.google.com/translat...%3Fid%3D135375

Thanks, ZN for posting this. Hope you can keep it going. Andorra has lost again, but Shem keeps doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
    Thanks, ZN for posting this. Hope you can keep it going. Andorra has lost again, but Shem keeps doing well.
    How do you pull up these box scores?

How do you pull up these box scores?
    An alternate to ZagNative's that I tend to use is Eurobasket.com

This is the team page for Andorra that will show summary info - records in the various leagues they play in, last few games results etc.

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/tea...nc-Andorra/139

You see a link to their games which takes you here:
    http://basketball.eurobasket.com/tea...rra/139?Page=2

Click in any of the final scores and it will bring up a boxscore.

Links on the home page also show season stats.

Also use the search bar at the top to find other ex-Zags.

An alternate to ZagNative's that I tend to use is Eurobasket.com

This is the team page for Andorra that will show summary info - records in the various leagues they play in, last few games results etc.

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/tea...nc-Andorra/139

You see a link to their games which takes you here:
    http://basketball.eurobasket.com/tea...rra/139?Page=2

Click in any of the final scores and it will bring up a boxscore.

Links on the home page also show season stats.

Also use the search bar at the top to find other ex-Zags.
    Thanks! One thing that has me a little befuddled is that the starting lineup for Andorra will change by 3, even 4 players game to game.

Shem's on the starting 5 one game, scores 15, shoots 70%, grabs 6 rebounds and is a reserve the next game. Same for other players as well. You got me!

Thanks! One thing that has me a little befuddled is that the starting lineup for Andorra will change by 3, even 4 players game to game.

Shem's on the starting 5 one game, scores 15, shoots 70%, grabs 6 rebounds and is a reserve the next game. Same for other players as well. You got me!
    Perhaps a matchup-dependent approach?

Quote Originally Posted by Jstock12 View Post
    Perhaps a matchup-dependent approach?
    Ya - European teams are much more apt to fiddle with line-ups based on match-ups. I've been told to not fixate on who is starting but how many minutes someone is playing. Who starts is often irrelevant in Europe, where in the US it matters (more for players egos) - maybe JStock can confirm or deny.

Shem is a rook too and still getting his feet wet...that can cause variation in minutes. Same with his unique physical stature and game style.

There can also be a large disparity among teams in the domestic league. So often the top domestic league teams rest players against the crappier teams instead saving them for more competive games (EuroLeague, EuroCup). I don't think that would apply as much to Shem and Andorra rather than someone like Pangos maybe getting rested when Zalgiris plays low level Lithuania teams - saving a starter for more intense EuroLeague games.

In other leagues - like Japan - there are even rules about foreign imports playing time. How many imports can start, how many quarters (or minutes) they can play, how many can be on the floor at the same time. It can get really weird looking at box scores, when you clear see their best players playing very limited minutes.
    Last edited by Mojo13; 10-13-2017 at 01:36 PM.

Ya - European teams are much more apt to fiddle with line-up based on match-ups. I've been told to not fixate on who is starting but how many minutes someone is playing. Who starts is often irrelevant in Europe, where in the US it matters (more for players egos) - maybe JStock can confirm or deny.

Shem is a rook too and still getting his feet wet...that can cause variation in minutes. Same with his unique physical stature and game style.

In other leagues - like Japan - there are even are about forgiven imports. How many imports can start, how many quarters (or minutes) they can play, how many can be on the floor at the same time. It can get really weird looking at box scores, when you clear see their best players playing very limited minutes.
    Thanks to both of you! I'm getting there on European B Ball thanks to everyone that's pitched in.

Andora leading Fiat Turin in Eurocup play, 42-38. Game's at the half. Shem has six points, two rebounds, and a steal.

Live Stats here

Andorra's twitter feed: https://twitter.com/morabancandorra

Eek! 6 TO's for Shem in a losing effort, 86-92. Shem had 10 points, 4 rebounds, an assist, and a steal.

Eek! 6 TO's for Shem in a losing effort, 86-92. Shem had 10 points, 4 rebounds, an assist, and a steal.
    Mere growing pains!
    However this very poor start to the season (1-5) for Andorra has me concerned...