Thread: Using GU as an example of how to do things right.

Default Using GU as an example of how to do things right.

Here is Los Angeles Rams general manager Les Snead telling Alden Gonzalez, an ESPN staff writer, how he hopes to build the Rams into a winning pro football organization:

""It's we, not me," Snead said, echoing [new Rams head coach Sean] McVay's rallying cry for this team. "It's not just one player; it's not just one star. It's a group. I would love to have a Gonzaga basketball team, where everybody complements each other. Some days it's one person, some days it's another. The sum of the parts is better than the individual."

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles...-watkins-trade

I LOVE this kind of stuff!
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    Here is Los Angeles Rams general manager Les Snead telling Alden Gonzalez, an ESPN staff writer, how he hopes to build the Rams into a winning pro football organization:

""It's we, not me," Snead said, echoing [new Rams head coach Sean] McVay's rallying cry for this team. "It's not just one player; it's not just one star. It's a group. I would love to have a Gonzaga basketball team, where everybody complements each other. Some days it's one person, some days it's another. The sum of the parts is better than the individual."

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles...-watkins-trade

I LOVE this kind of stuff!

What a huge compliment.
    " You gotta love the one who loves you "

Great find SLO. He's got it!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post

What a huge compliment.
    This.

Does this guy have any sort of connection?
    It's like talking to a fence post.

Methinks the Zags, especially after the success of this past season, are just plain getting known for how they do things. Teamwork is one of the things.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Wow!. If pro football sees it, pretty soon maybe it will catch on in the NBA! Can you imagine pro basketball played with team work? Just WOW. I might start watching more of it!
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Wow!. If pro football sees it, pretty soon maybe it will catch on in the NBA! Can you imagine pro basketball played with team work? Just WOW. I might start watching more of it!
    Sounds like the Spurs to me. Unfortunately the superteams are going to make them rethink that strategy so they aren't just competing for 2nd place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You must have missed the Warriors the last three seasons. 30 assists per game is routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags_Fanatic View Post
    Sounds like the Spurs to me. Unfortunately the superteams are going to make them rethink that strategy so they aren't just competing for 2nd place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    You must have missed the Warriors the last three seasons. 30 assists per game is routine.
    Nope! You would have to want to see it and not get to, to miss it.

The players have figured a way around the structure of the draft and the salary cap to be able to combine superstars, making any attempt at parity a moot point, and making the NBA just that much more unwatchable to me.

I don't care for the NBA, although I do watch Zags in the show. This is a collegiate forum, and I do like college ball. We are each entitled to our opinions, and mine is that if the NBA, and their players, welcomed true teamwork and unity, as the Zags have done, it would be a better sport. You are, of course, welcome to disagree.

[QUOTE=willandi;1327774

The players have figured a way around the structure of the draft and the salary cap to be able to combine superstars, making any attempt at parity a moot point, [/QUOTE]

Sounds like NCAA Basketball to me. The rich get richer

I don't care where you are in the world, if you have a Gonzaga hat on....someone will walk right up to you and express the same sentiment ....I was deep into the Wrangell-St Elias in Alaska on 70 miles of Jeep trail and ran into some locals that were fans of America's Team.....they do it right...

Nope! You would have to want to see it and not get to, to miss it.

The players have figured a way around the structure of the draft and the salary cap to be able to combine superstars, making any attempt at parity a moot point, and making the NBA just that much more unwatchable to me.

I don't care for the NBA, although I do watch Zags in the show. This is a collegiate forum, and I do like college ball. We are each entitled to our opinions, and mine is that if the NBA, and their players, welcomed true teamwork and unity, as the Zags have done, it would be a better sport. You are, of course, welcome to disagree.
    College basketball is my favorite for a lot of reasons. Zags are my fix.

There will always be dominant teams. Every era has them. What you are missing by choosing not to watch is the game being played at it's highest level. If you haven't watched the Warriors play, you have missed watching basketball at it's finest. Your prerogative. In my view, it's like refusing to watch Michaelangelo paint because he is so much better than the other guys.

There will always be dominant teams. Every era has them. What you are missing by choosing not to watch is the game being played at it's highest level. If you haven't watched the Warriors play, you have missed watching basketball at it's finest. Your prerogative. In my view, it's like refusing to watch Michaelangelo paint because he is so much better than the other guys.
    Darn super painters!!!
    19 Straight Big Dances

9 Straight Round of 32s

8 Sweet Sixteens

3 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Or refusing to watch a young Tiger woods when he had no competition. I didn't do that either. It is the competition that makes sports fun, to me. Without competition, it's just big guys showing off.

I also wouldn't have set up a chair and watched Michelangelo paint the Sistine chapel. I was a painter, and that would be like watching paint dry. Yuck!

Living in the Bay Area, watching the Warriors has been a lot of fun. Yes, they're loaded with stars, but they also show excellent teamwork, and a willingness for 4 stars to play together and defer to one another to accomplish a larger goal.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I don't care where you are in the world, if you have a Gonzaga hat on....someone will walk right up to you and express the same sentiment ....I was deep into the Wrangell-St Elias in Alaska on 70 miles of Jeep trail and ran into some locals that were fans of America's Team.....they do it right...
    Yep - no matter where I travel if the day ends in Y I'm wearing Zag gear and the comments are never ending - always positive - the little engine that could has become a high powered locomotive in the eyes of many all over the planet. The name Gonzaga has become synonymous with TEAM play. You gotta love it.

Go!! Zags!!!

Spent a good amount of time in "Technology Triangle", which should be called basketball Mecca IMO. Duke, Wake, NC State and UNC surround that area. I proudly flew the Zag colors and had numerous fun conversations with fans of all those schools. The two comments I heard most were "Are you guys ever going to make a Final Four"?, and "I love Gonzaga, they are my second favorite team"! Not one negative comment ever. Zags definitely on the map over there. That was before this past year of course
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!