Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Montana Zags

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    I dont live in Montana, but DirecTV is a fantastic choice.

That being said, what kind of internet choices are available in Montana? Anyone know of the speed packages?
    They are so backwards there, they still use horses for their cable TV!
    It's not funny.

We got us the dial-up interweb.

Half of my family lives in Orofino, and I travel down there (mostly to fish the Clearwater). It can get ROWDY.
    If at first you don't succeed, try to solve the situation with a spud gun. ~Dwight Schrute~

Quote Originally Posted by NontradZag View Post
    Half of my family lives in Orofino, and I travel down there (mostly to fish the Clearwater). It can get ROWDY.
    Was there just 2 days on X country bike ride. Pulled off that amazing road, crossed the bridge and camped on the nearby school grounds....never got inland very far. But that road is........it's a wall of trees.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    We got us the dial-up interweb.
    I wasnt trying to insinuate that there wasnt high speed internet available. Only wondering how developed the network is. I have friends in bigger cities than Louisville that have half the speeds available, and i also know people in eastern kentucky where they only have satellite or old school DSL available. So its hit or miss in most places.

Quote Originally Posted by jbslicer View Post
    Where's the love for Butte?
    It's found in one place. Butte. But I'm a big Butte fan anyway. It may not be pretty, but it is real. Good and real.

I wasn't insulted, just making a funny. I live in NW Montana in tiny Troy, pop 900. Our local channels are Spokane and I have Directv so I think the only game I've missed in the last 10 years was due to a power outrage, but I do watch other games on the internet with no problem. I'm sure internet in the Flathead would be pretty good.

I also grew up and graduated from Whitefish, dad and sister still live there. I know a lot of of people that I grew up with have moved to Columbia Falls because of cheaper housing.

Quote Originally Posted by NontradZag View Post
    There's a reason the high school's mascot is the "Maniacs."

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
    It's found in one place. Butte. But I'm a big Butte fan anyway. It may not be pretty, but it is real. Good and real.
    I think Sir Mixalot wrote a song about that.

There was a tornado that hit Butte a few years ago. It did 2 million dollars worth of civic improvement!

One of the prettiest sights in Montana...Butte in your rear view mirror!
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I think Sir Mixalot wrote a song about that.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Jealous. Grew up in Colorado and then Billings. Live over here in the Seattle area. I'd move to Whitefish in a heartbeat. Be sure, and I'm sure you will, to explore Glacier National Park. A magnificent place all should see.

Go Zags!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BoZarth View Post
    Jealous. Grew up in Colorado and then Billings. Live over here in the Seattle area. I'd move to Whitefish in a heartbeat. Be sure, and I'm sure you will, to explore Glacier National Park. A magnificent place all should see.

Go Zags!!!!
    Indeed. One night at Lake McDonald Lodge is a lifetime memory........as is Going to the Sun road and lake tour.

http://www.glaciernationalparklodges...cdonald-lodge/

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvis...thesunroad.htm

When the mines were open ( I hear they're open again) went to Lydia's every night after work. THOSE are great people! Played guitar at the Rumpus Room 2 Summers.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    When the mines were open ( I hear they're open again) went to Lydia's every night after work. THOSE are great people! Played guitar at the Rumpus Room 2 Summers.
    Visitor from Ireland was knockin' 'um down at The M&M. Announced to all present that he'd heard Butte drinkers were the baddest of them all. Said he'd pay whomever could down 12 Guiness' in a row without stopping $500 bucks. Lots of humming and hawing but no takers.

A while later a fellow presents himself to the visitor and says he can do it, just set 'um up. Goes right down the bar, one Guiness after another. Didn't stop, drank 'um all.

Man, the visitor said, that was some drinkin'! Here's your five hundred. You know, I noticed that after I made the offer
    you left for a while. Where'd you go?

Oh, I just went down to Spud McGee's to see if I could do it first.

More Standard; Went to Butte yesterday and saw two Irishmen walk out of a bar!

This is my kind of thread! You can take the boy out of Montana but you can't take the Montana out of the boy!

First, the Flathead is much milder in climate during winter time than the ice box belt of Great Falls, Helena, Butte and Bozeman. It does get plenty of snow for sure but when it's 35 below in Bozeman it might be 5 below in Kalispell. Missoula, Hamilton, and all the Flathead are more similar to Spokane winters.

Butte is not the same town it was prior to Anaconda Copper Co. going away. Still crazy though. My high school in Missoula played Butte in Football yearly of course. Our guys came back looking like they were in a plane crash! Broken bones, limping and let me tell you those kids were darn tough back in the day. We used to have a joke: "They all wear a 44 shirt and a 4 hat"

St. Patricks Day is something to behold in Butte. By chance I was there on business unaware it was St. Paddy's day. I was alerted at 10:00 AM when four good drunks were coming right down the middle of Montana Avenue with huge mugs of green beer! One guy at the M&M got up on that sign above and peed on the crowd below. Not sure if he lived or not. Then a girl that lost the wet tee shirt contest threw a full beer bottle at the winner and hit her directly in the forehead knocking her out. That's when I thought...OOOKKK, that's it, I'm outa here. The town is a living antique end to end.

In general streams are not as productive in the Flathead because the water is so cold and clean there is not a good nutrient content to support aquatic insects as well as streams coming from areas with cattle and agriculture in the headwaters. Oh there's fish there, just less and generally smaller, but the Kootenai river is exceptional and at times the Northfork of the Flathead can be really good too but you have to know where to go. Southfork in the "Bob" is a once in a lifetime experience. Pack in to the confluence of Gordon Creek and float 50 miles through earth as it used to be down to Spotted Bear, but don't even think about floating through the Meadow Creek Gorge. I did and got my fanny kicked badly. It's deadly.

Montana is definitely Zag fan country for sure.

Best of luck, please be a good steward of the "Last Best Place"
    Griz
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Haha. Love it up there!
    Abe

The love is right here.....in the 1890's Butte had about 100,000 people living there and about 10,000 were millionaires. Just think of that impact. With 10% of the people millionaires, that was a larger impact than Microsoft had on King County. Love my days in Butte. Always stayed at the Finlen (where the US Presidents stayed)....saw Spanky Spangler jump off the top of the hotel...what a night. A few years earlier I met Bob (Evel) Knievel and his lovely wife at the bar across the street from the "FIN". I thinks it was called the Acoma or the Anaconda.....anyway, what a special place. If ya want to visit, go on St Pat's Day....You'll never forget!

Hey Griz, I used to hike into the Bob for the month of August every summer in the mid to late 70's. Bull trout averaged 8lbs and got up to 20lb. Could get 75-100 cutthroats a day on the south fork. Did all the tributaries. Loved that N fork of the White River also, China Wall, Sphinx, etc also Danaher. Lots of fish, critters, and beautiful scenery. Now I'm too old, but lots of fond memories. Sometimes I put in at Benchmark, sometimes at Holland Lake. Also some golden trout in the high lakes. Special place.

That's fantastic Amizon! Those places take great effort to get to. Impressive. I almost lived in the Missions as young buck. I fished about 75 mountain lakes in the Missions and the Bob between 1965-75. I'm sure the Cascades must have those jewels similarly. I've flown over a zillion times and see the rugged beauty.

The Flathead is an amazing jump off point to so much.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

It's got a great hang gliding site

Congratulations..... Whitefish would be the better commute; winter skiing at your back door; Avalanche Lake, short hike from camp ground near McDonald Lodge...my wife claims will be what "HEAVEN LOOKS LIKE" .......GNP...don't forget to see the portion, North of the Border; with "Al's invention...(-;;" one can see anything......I get the NFL package via Canada or England...if you are lonesome for the big city, go to Costco in Kalispell! In Whitefish, visit InvesTect Research, private wealth investment company. The best in the western world, if you can afford it, but the owner puts out a newsletter that even amateurs can benefit from (reasonable subscription price for the Financial information; their office is on Whitefish Lake, view worth the visit and hospitality is fantastic. Enjoy, sent from my mountain top South of the State Capital, Helena.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo 1966 View Post
    Congratulations..... Whitefish would be the better commute; winter skiing at your back door; Avalanche Lake, short hike from camp ground near McDonald Lodge...my wife claims will be what "HEAVEN LOOKS LIKE" .......GNP...don't forget to see the portion, North of the Border; with "Al's invention...(-;;" one can see anything......I get the NFL package via Canada or England...if you are lonesome for the big city, go to Costco in Kalispell! In Whitefish, visit InvesTect Research, private wealth investment company. The best in the western world, if you can afford it, but the owner puts out a newsletter that even amateurs can benefit from (reasonable subscription price for the Financial information; their office is on Whitefish Lake, view worth the visit and hospitality is fantastic. Enjoy, sent from my mountain top South of the State Capital, Helena.
    I got hypothermia one late June biking off McDonald Pass and into Helena....35 degrees, snow, 6 mile descent....took refuge at the Burger King....then to Townsend

How about Bigfork vs Whitefish? Found an amazing place on the swan River that we're strongly considering.