Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Montana Zags

Default Montana Zags

I have an opportunity to take a great job in the Kalispell area. I'll be moving from Kirkland. I'll be taking a slight paycut, but cost of living should be less so it won't be a huge difference.

I'm looking at either Whitefish or Bigfork for housing. Looks like Whitefish is more expensive, but has more options.

Anyone live in the Flathead Valley? Are there many Zags in the area?

Also, what about cable vs satellite. I get Comcast in Kirkland and have rarely missed a game. What's the best provider to get root sports or whatever package I need to get the zags games?

Whitefish is very yuppie and out-of-stater like. Also expensive. It is nice though. It would be similar to Kirkland in a lot of ways. Bigfork has a different vibe and will be cheaper.

As far as Zags, we're around here. Everyone's pretty pro gonzaga. Thankfully you don't hear much about UW here.

As far as cable? Beats me. I don't have cable. Direct TV does give Roots. I watch games online or at someone's house since we don't pay for TV service.

I did a show in whitefish in July, stayed in Kalispell. The cable there did have Root on it, at least at the restaurant/bar I ate at. The motel didn't, but just to save money I think.
    It's not funny.

[QUOTE=IowaSERE;1327457]I have an opportunity to take a great job in the Kalispell area. I'll be moving from Kirkland. I'll be taking a slight paycut, but cost of living should be less so it won't be a huge difference.

I'm looking at either Whitefish or Bigfork for housing. Looks like Whitefish is more expensive, but has more options.

Also, what about cable vs satellite. I get Comcast in Kirkland and have rarely missed a game. What's the best provider to get root sports or whatever package I need to get the zags games?[/QUOTE

MontanaCoyote moved from Bellevue to Bozeman almost 50 years ago now. Never looked back! Back then, Bellevue was easy street and Kirkland was where the working class lived. They whipped our fannies real good in every sport but track.

Welcome to Montana. Can't help on housing, but I think you'll find plenty of options. just see if you can get a feel for Big Fork and Whitefish. They are pretty different places in ways. Trust your gut.

I'm in Gallatin Gateway near Bozeman. Have Directv and get every Zag game on ROOT. There could be better options but I don't know what they are.

There are Zag fans in that area and I think they'll pick up on your post and try to lend a hand. Several do comment on this board.

No sales tax in MT but we do have a state income tax. It's reasonable, especially if you itemize. You will find it less expensive to live here and you'll sure get some real relief from Seattle metroplex traffic.

Whether Whitefish or Big Fork, there's always Kalispell if you need the "big city."

Hope all goes well and welcome to Big Sky Country.

[QUOTE=MontanaCoyote;1327460]
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    I have an opportunity to take a great job in the Kalispell area. I'll be moving from Kirkland. I'll be taking a slight paycut, but cost of living should be less so it won't be a huge difference.

Also, what about cable vs satellite. I get Comcast in Kirkland and have rarely missed a game. What's the best provider to get root sports or whatever package I need to get the zags games?[/QUOTE

MontanaCoyote moved from Bellevue to Bozeman almost 50 years ago now. Never looked back! Back then, Bellevue was easy street and Kirkland was where the working class lived. They whipped our fannies real good in every sport but track.

Welcome to Montana. Can't help on housing, but I think you'll find plenty of options. just see if you can get a feel for Big Fork and Whitefish. They are pretty different places in ways. Trust your gut.

I'm in Gallatin Gateway near Bozeman. Have Directv and get every Zag game on ROOT. There could be better options but I don't know what they are.

There are Zag fans in that area and I think they'll pick up on your post and try to lend a hand. Several do comment on this board.

No sales tax in MT but we do have a state income tax. It's reasonable, especially if you itemize. You will find it less expensive to live here and you'll sure get some real relief from Seattle metroplex traffic.

Whether Whitefish or Big Fork, there's always Kalispell if you need the "big city."

Hope all goes well and welcome to Big Sky Country.
    As an avid fly fisherman, I fell in love with Bozeman, it was my top MT choice when we started looking. However, I unexpectedly get an amazing offer to work in Kalispell and my boss is also big into fly fishing and we really get along so far.

I grew up in Whitefish. Love that place, and miss it often. I don't miss the winters, but other than that...tough to beat Montana in general. Whitefish has the advantage of fantastic places to eat due to the tourist industry. It blows up in the summer and winter, but handles it fairly well. Bigfork is smaller, and a tougher commute to Kalispell in my experience. I love MT.

[QUOTE=IowaSERE;1327461]
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCoyote View Post

As an avid fly fisherman, I fell in love with Bozeman, it was my top MT choice when we started looking. However, I unexpectedly get an amazing offer to work in Kalispell and my boss is also big into fly fishing and we really get along so far.
    Fishing in whitefish/kalispell is pretty underrated. Plus, it isn't a huge drive to the reservation lakes or down toward missoula for Rock Creek etc. I used to fish various parts of the flathead after work on a regular basis. Fun fishing, even if the really big fish are harder to find. I live in Portland now, and miss the ease of trout fishing in MT. But, OR is much better for carp on the fly!

[QUOTE=john montana;1327463]

Fishing in whitefish/kalispell is pretty underrated. Plus, it isn't a huge drive to the reservation lakes or down toward missoula for Rock Creek etc. I used to fish various parts of the flathead after work on a regular basis. Fun fishing, even if the really big fish are harder to find. I live in Portland now, and miss the ease of trout fishing in MT. But, OR is much better for carp on the fly!
    Yea, everyone seems to downplay the fly fishing in flathead valley vs Bozeman or Missoula. I am going there Aug 23-27 to do some exploring. Looking forward to it. I spent a day there last month and had an amazing evening fishing the Thompson River.

Whitefish area might not have any blue ribbon streams, but its WAY better than anyting I've found in WA. Rocky Ford Creek might be the exception.

Missoula has it all.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Missoula has it all.
    Except for a job offer.

We looked at some properties up Lolo Creek and loved it. It's all on fire now!

I live in AZ and watched every game one way or another on DirecTV with the regional Root sports package (I think I missed an exhibition game that wasn't picked up, come to think of it). They might give you NFL season ticket for this fall if you get on it soon

I always liked the area north of Bigfork towards Columbia Falls at the base of the Swans. Check out the Kootenai too for fishing, you just might "accidently" hook a 15lb bull trout.

In that part of the world, the coolest town I have ever been in was Orofino, Idaho.

Wandering off topic, but I prefer Bozeman to Missoula. Can't really put my finger on it. Livingston is a neat little town near Bozeman.

Speaking of wandering, if you don't mind doing some walking in combination with your fishing, there are about a million lakes in the Beartooths, near Yellowstone and straddling the Montana/Wyoming border. Pretty country down there.

Harlowton, MT.

Dayton, WA

When I was at the show, someone was telling me how much the North Fork of the Flathead had improved. When I lived up north of Polebridge, it was pretty, and surprisingly, poor. A few smallish Cuts and maybe a brookie. Just second hand knowledge though, I would love to have time to try it.
    It's not funny.

Rock Creek is burning now, too.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Dayton, WA
    . Spent too many summers in the labor camp of the Jolly Green One there. Guess it's changed though. Labor camp was gone when I drove through in 1980.

I've lived in Whitefish for nearly 30 years. There is a big fanbase of Zag fans here. We can watch almost every game on DirectTV. Welcome and look us up for a few games this winter.

ps- we're not yuppie at all...

Quote Originally Posted by FlatheadZag View Post
    I've lived in Whitefish for nearly 30 years. There is a big fanbase of Zag fans here. We can watch almost every game on DirectTV. Welcome and look us up for a few games this winter.

My mom and my sister still live there. It is a great town. I may be back in September for a visit.

I love rock creek. Probably my all time favorite trout stream.

Quote Originally Posted by FlatheadZag View Post

Sent you a PM

Where's the love for Butte?

Quote Originally Posted by jbslicer View Post
    Where's the love for Butte?
    A love that dares not speak its name?

Also, what about cable vs satellite. I get Comcast in Kirkland and have rarely missed a game. What's the best provider to get root sports or whatever package I need to get the zags games?
    I dont live in Montana, but DirecTV is a fantastic choice.

That being said, what kind of internet choices are available in Montana? Anyone know of the speed packages?