Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 - Dominick Harris - NLI Signed 11/13/19

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    He may be listed as a so-called "combo guard" by all the recruiting sites, yet he wants to play PG, and being recruited as a PG. fwiw
    If he wants to be a point guard he better start getting his teammates involved and cut down on his turnovers because right now he's strictly a driver and shooter.

Default Point

Quote Originally Posted by doctorzag View Post
    If he wants to be a point guard he better start getting his teammates involved and cut down on his turnovers because right now he's strictly a driver and shooter.
    I saw a fast break pass to a wing, a post pass and an alley oop just in that last video.

What did you see?

A talismanic recruit, perceived warts by naysayers and all.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    uh-huh. you got some assist and turnover numbers to cite? links please.
    Yeah I got some. 2.7 assists per game, 3.8 turnovers per game . As per Maxpreps. Point guard of the future?? He's got lots of room for improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorzag View Post
    Yeah I got some. 2.7 assists per game, 3.8 turnovers per game . As per Maxpreps. Point guard of the future?? He's got lots of room for improvement.
    This is purely looking at stats and not looking at context

1) He was a soph... he has two years to go
    2) he played for a terrible team where he was a one man show having to do everything... of course he won't have a good assist to turnover ratio
    3) he is now playing for a team with 3 other D1 prospects... he is already being asked to play PG for them... his numbers will dramatically rise for you in terms of a:t ratio
    4) He has very good quickness and ball handling skills.... he will turn into a pg if thats what few wants of him.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    This is purely looking at stats and not looking at context

1) He was a soph... he has two years to go
    2) he played for a terrible team where he was a one man show having to do everything... of course he won't have a good assist to turnover ratio
    3) he is now playing for a team with 3 other D1 prospects... he is already being asked to play PG for them... his numbers will dramatically rise for you in terms of a:t ratio
    4) He has very good quickness and ball handling skills.... he will turn into a pg if thats what few wants of him.
    Yeah he’s a pg plain and simple. Just watch him play. Quoting unofficial high school stats outside of ppg is lazy.

I believe if James and Curry were sophmores and commited to the Zags several followers would have problems with how they played and not good enough!!! Makes me laugh how a kid is good enough for the coaching staff but not to the expert fanatic.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quoting HS stats is a much riskier game. There is so much more context to reconcile, in order to get an accurate picture. He's not a true PG. But it's not because he's not capable. He's being developed into a next-gen combo guard. He won't get the physicality of a Russell Westbrook before college, as I just don't think he'll be done growing and developing physically, but please understand that this is the type of player he has the opportunity to become. Dominic Harris will change the way Gonzaga fans view acceptable guard recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaholicPodcast View Post
    Quoting HS stats is a much riskier game. There is so much more context to reconcile, in order to get an accurate picture. He's not a true PG. But it's not because he's not capable. He's being developed into a next-gen combo guard. He won't get the physicality of a Russell Westbrook before college, as I just don't think he'll be done growing and developing physically, but please understand that this is the type of player he has the opportunity to become. Dominic Harris will change the way Gonzaga fans view acceptable guard recruits.
    Take this one step further..... Harris is turning into what the DD offense needs. Conventional point guards are becoming yesterday's game. If the image one has of the dribble drive guard is a game manager that is always looking for the assist..... you are going to not like what you see. The new guards have to be able to shoot and beat their man off the dribble. If you talk to a real Dribble Drive coach, they don't even categorize positions traditionally. No more traditional PG, SG, SF, PF, C in the context of DD. All players have to be multi-tool guys and athletic because this offense THRIVES on putting pressure on defenses, namely by exploiting mismatches on the perimeter. Does the players have to be able to pass.....absolutely....but in the DD he HAS to get by his guy first WITHOUT a screen. This forces a defensive rotation and the DD goes into action. Harris might not be the 2nd coming of John Wall or D-Rose, but he's about perfect for this system. What Harris is not going to do is raise up his hand, call out the offense, dribble around a bunch and deliver a great post entry. What he is going to do is get the ball up the court push a secondary UNC type of break, or see which side the follower on the O is setting up on the perimeter and drive to the hoop. It's fast, it's fun, it's successful (in todays game and foul calls tendency), and it keeps pressure on the other team, all game long.
    Oh, and you better be able to hit your free throws.

Sounds like what NWG did for us, to an extent. Sign me up.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

A bigger version Web. With good shooting. Dom seems to be a "do everything well" type of kid. He's going to flourish here.

Quote Originally Posted by EEzag View Post
    Take this one step further..... Harris is turning into what the DD offense needs. Conventional point guards are becoming yesterday's game. If the image one has of the dribble drive guard is a game manager that is always looking for the assist..... you are going to not like what you see. The new guards have to be able to shoot and beat their man off the dribble. If you talk to a real Dribble Drive coach, they don't even categorize positions traditionally. No more traditional PG, SG, SF, PF, C in the context of DD. All players have to be multi-tool guys and athletic because this offense THRIVES on putting pressure on defenses, namely by exploiting mismatches on the perimeter. Does the players have to be able to pass.....absolutely....but in the DD he HAS to get by his guy first WITHOUT a screen. This forces a defensive rotation and the DD goes into action. Harris might not be the 2nd coming of John Wall or D-Rose, but he's about perfect for this system. What Harris is not going to do is raise up his hand, call out the offense, dribble around a bunch and deliver a great post entry. What he is going to do is get the ball up the court push a secondary UNC type of break, or see which side the follower on the O is setting up on the perimeter and drive to the hoop. It's fast, it's fun, it's successful (in todays game and foul calls tendency), and it keeps pressure on the other team, all game long.
    Oh, and you better be able to hit your free throws.
    I guess I am not clear on the difference between dribble drive offense and motion offense after your post. The motion, especially the flex run by Few, seems to do the same things you mention; work to create mismatchs, de-emphasize specific positions, exploit the perimeter.

Few likes smart, ball-handling guards to be his 'coach on the floor'. I think that will always be a feature of his.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I guess I am not clear on the difference between dribble drive offense and motion offense after your post. The motion, especially the flex run by Few, seems to do the same things you mention; work to create mismatchs, de-emphasize specific positions, exploit the perimeter.

Few likes smart, ball-handling guards to be his 'coach on the floor'. I think that will always be a feature of his.

Yeah I'm probably not doing the dribble drive a lot of credit. The motion flex does a lot of similliar things but focuses more on post play and ball screens but there are a lot of similarities. And I don't mean to imply that the guards are not still coaches on the floor....they just have to be good at different things.

one thing I've noticed is a strong M2M D with rim protectors, something like the Zags did year before last, and what FSU does, can really blunt the DD game. The dribbler really needs to be able to finish, whether floaters or at the rim or pullups or whatever, has to be able to finish in the lane

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post

Few hardly runs the flex anymore and hasn't really in the last 8 to 10 years (maybe less than 10% of the time). He runs his ball screen motion offense that has a lot of read and react built in. It allows for multiple two man games within each set (very needed skill in today's NBA which a simple DD motion offense can't as the screen is hardly used). Few ran it through Kelly O having Kelly O and E Harris actually in a two man game. It requires a lot of reads by the motion guy and tight screens forcing defenders to go under.
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

This kid will be special and the whole staff knows it.

https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/s...01361478328320

Not in ESPN top 60. Exactly why I don’t respect their rankings. Harris is easily top 50.

Outside of Villanova, how many other non-P5 schools have had lotto/1st round picks in the last seven years?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Outside of Villanova, how many other non-P5 schools have had lotto/1st round picks in the last seven years?
    Boise State
    Wichita State

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Boise State
    Wichita State
    Wow! That's all...and BSU had the one in this years draft...and only one of our three 1st round picks was a 5* recruit...think we're doing well and we could have two-three more after this season...

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Boise State
    Wichita State
    Boise and Wichita were this year. In the last seven years there is also Creighton, Providence, Marquette, Saint Joe's, NMSU, Murray St, UNLV, Wyoming, Georgia St, Louisianna-Laffayette, UCONN, Georgetown, Lehigh, New Mexico, Weber St, St. John's, and St. Boneventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Tons

2012:

#6 Damian Lilliard Weber State
    #8 Andre Drummond UConn
    #10 Jeremy Lamb UConn
    #17 Andrew Nicholson St. Bonnies

2013:

#1 Anthony Bennett UNLV
    #10 CJ McCollum Lehigh
    #12 Kelly O Zags
    #19 Tony Snell New Mexico

2014:

#10 Elfrid Payton Louisiana Lafayette
    #11 Dougie McBuckets Creighton
    #25 Shabaz napier UConn

2015:

#14 Cameron Payne Murray State
    #17 Rashad Vaughn UNLV
    #27 Larry Nance Jr. Wyoming
    #28 RJ Hunter Georgia State

2016:

#5 Khris Dunn Providence
    #11 Sabonis Zags
    #18 Henry Ellenson Marquette
    #21 Deandre Bembry St. Joes
    #27 Pascal Siakim New Mexico State

2017:

#10 Zach Zags
    #16 Justin Patton Creighton

2018:

#22 Chandler Hutchison Boise State
    #26 Landry Shamet Wichita State
    #28 Jacob Evans Cinci

I didn't count Nova as you requested.

http://stats.nba.com/draft/history/?Season=2018

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Tons

2012:

#6 Damian Lilliard Weber State
    #8 Andre Drummond UConn
    #10 Jeremy Lamb UConn
    #17 Andrew Nicholson St. Bonnies

2013:

#1 Anthony Bennett UNLV
    #10 CJ McCollum Lehigh
    #12 Kelly O Zags
    #19 Tony Snell New Mexico

2014:

#10 Elfrid Payton Louisiana Lafayette
    #11 Dougie McBuckets Creighton
    #25 Shabaz napier UConn

2015:

#14 Cameron Payne Murray State
    #17 Rashad Vaughn UNLV
    #27 Larry Nance Jr. Wyoming
    #28 RJ Hunter Georgia State

2016:

#5 Khris Dunn Providence
    #11 Sabonis Zags
    #18 Henry Ellenson Marquette
    #21 Deandre Bembry St. Joes
    #27 Pascal Siakim New Mexico State

2017:

#10 Zach Zags
    #16 Justin Patton Creighton

2018:

#22 Chandler Hutchison Boise State
    #26 Landry Shamet Wichita State
    #28 Jacob Evans Cinci

I didn't count Nova as you requested.

http://stats.nba.com/draft/history/?Season=2018
    UConn and GU tie at 12% of this list.
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    UConn and GU tie at 12% of this list.
    UConn hardly non power 5 in terms of their dna.

By my count, here are the 6 schools with multiple lottery picks over the last 3 drafts ('16/'17/'18). And here's a side question .... which of the 6 is "unlike" the others? (multiple answers to this question).

Duke
    Kentucky
    Michigan State
    Arizona
    Gonzaga
    Washington