Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: 2020 - Dominick Harris - NLI Signed 11/13/19

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Gonzaga men's basketball head coach Mark Few announced the signing of Dominick Harris and Julian Strawther to National Letters of Intent Wednesday.

Dominick Harris, 6-4, 190, Guard, Murrieta, Calif. (Rancho Christian)
    Harris averaged 24 points and three assists per game through his first three years of high school. After scoring 24.5 points per outing during his sophomore season at Pacifica High School, he transferred to nationally-ranked Rancho Christian High School as a junior. After playing an impressive national schedule, he helped guide Rancho Christian to 26 wins and a Top-10 ranking in California as a junior.

Harris earned California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) Division 6 Player of the Year honors as a freshman while leading Pacifica Christian to the championship game.

Harris is ranked No. 60 in the Class of 2020 by 247 Sports. He is a four-star recruit according to ESPN, ranked as the 59th-best recruit in the Class of 2020.

"Dominick comes from such a wonderful and supportive family," Few said. "He's been committed for quite a while, so he's kind of already been a part of the program. It's great to finally make it official. Dom's really improved since we first saw him, he's a really hardworking and motivated player that will be able to play multiple positions on the perimeter. He can shoot it, score it, drive it, defend and fills a lot of buckets from a coaching standpoint. He's going to be a great addition."
    He’s severely underrated by any recruiting site that lists him as the 60th recruit in his class. This kid is the best freshman guard we’ve landed during Mark Few’s tenure.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    He’s severely underrated by any recruiting site that lists him as the 60th recruit in his class. This kid is the best freshman guard we’ve landed during Mark Few’s tenure.
    That’s a pretty bold statement all things considered. Blake Stepp was quite amazing his freshman year, as were Pargo and Pangos. There’s been some good guards go through. Awesome if true though!

From a recruiting breakthrough perspective, I would argue Dominick Harris is rivaled only by Ronny Turiaf.

What do I mean by that? Well, when we talk about our success with international players, we always tie it back to Turiaf as the origin.

Now, think back to after our National Championship appearance. Do you remember that summer and how much we anticipated a huge boost in recruiting for the upcoming season? A lot of us were disappointed.

The "only" 2019 commit we landed that summer was Anton Watson, who committed early with only minimal NW interest at that point. But we've seen GU pick the right local talent before (Adam Morrison) and will do it again (Kaden Perry).

When it comes to high profile recruits, our first big breakthrough after the National Championship appearance was Dominick Harris in January of 2018. A point guard, first of all, breaking us out of "only" landing top bigs. And from California, an area I've heard on this board in the past referred to as a waste of time because they'll always choose the more glamorous in state options.

By committing early, he has been able to recruit friends like Julian Strawther (another highly sought after player) and has helped bigs like Drew Timme and Oumar Ballo feel confident that GU will not only develop their games, but continue to have elite guards to get them the ball and round out the team.

Whether Jalen joins or not, Dom's loyalty to the program helped blaze the trail for other top talents around the country to think of Gonzaga on par with any blue blood you want to throw out there. Places Dom could have gone, and places that are now recruiting rivals for the players we're trying to land in 2021 and beyond.

When other young players see him play in Gonzaga's fast paced and efficient offense, they too will want to be Zags. Even if some pieces come and go, like Donny Daniels who was Dom's original primary recruiter, players will know that the consistency of Mark Few's offensive system and program altogether is unmatched and worth jumping at the chance to join, regardless of alternative options.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    From a recruiting breakthrough perspective, I would argue Dominick Harris is rivaled only by Ronny Turiaf.

What do I mean by that? Well, when we talk about our success with international players, we always tie it back to Turiaf as the origin.

Now, think back to after our National Championship appearance. Do you remember that summer and how much we anticipated a huge boost in recruiting for the upcoming season? A lot of us were disappointed.

The "only" 2019 commit we landed that summer was Anton Watson, who committed early with only minimal NW interest at that point. But we've seen GU pick the right local talent before (Adam Morrison) and will do it again (Kaden Perry).

When it comes to high profile recruits, our first big breakthrough after the National Championship appearance was Dominick Harris in January of 2018. A point guard, first of all, breaking us out of "only" landing top bigs. And from California, an area I've heard on this board in the past referred to as a waste of time because they'll always choose the more glamorous in state options.

By committing early, he has been able to recruit friends like Julian Strawther (another highly sought after player) and has helped bigs like Drew Timme and Oumar Ballo feel confident that GU will not only develop their games, but continue to have elite guards to get them the ball and round out the team.

Whether Jalen joins or not, Dom's loyalty to the program helped blaze the trail for other top talents around the country to think of Gonzaga on par with any blue blood you want to throw out there. Places Dom could have gone, and places that are now recruiting rivals for the players we're trying to land in 2021 and beyond.

When other young players see him play in Gonzaga's fast paced and efficient offense, they too will want to be Zags. Even if some pieces come and go, like Donny Daniels who Dom's original primary recruiter, players will know that the consistency of Mark Few's offensive system and program altogether is unmatched and worth jumping at the chance to join, regardless of alternative options.
    Outstanding post.

Welcome aboard Dom Harris. Can’t wait to watch you ZagTFUp!!!
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Been saying this for 2 years. Have no idea what the scouts aren’t seeing. The kid can do it all.

Maybe the press release ( from GU ) was already in the can ? Don't know. I just posted what the school put out

Glad he's going to be a Zag. Sounds like a special talent

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    That’s a pretty bold statement all things considered. Blake Stepp was quite amazing his freshman year, as were Pargo and Pangos. There’s been some good guards go through. Awesome if true though!
    It is a bold statement and I believe it to be true.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

I don't know a lot about the recruiting game be just a casual fan/observer (couch potato), but I often wonder if a certain amount of it doesn't amount to an advertising service for kids trying to get scholarships. My thought being you will tend to sink in the ratings if you commit early and rise the longer you stay uncommitted while the scouts try to promote you. There is nothing to tell about kids that have committed to keep promoting their scouting services I would think so it serves their best interests to promote and speculate about uncommitted athletes. Just pure speculation on my part.

Frank Burlison
    @FrankieBur
    ·
    1h
    Rancho outscores rainier beach, 95-75 as
    @evan_mobley7
    goes for 16 points, 11 rebs, 4 blocks and 5 assists.
    @DominickHarri2
    25 points and 4 assists.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Frank Burlison
    @FrankieBur
    ·
    1h
    Rancho outscores rainier beach, 95-75 as
    @evan_mobley7
    goes for 16 points, 11 rebs, 4 blocks and 5 assists.
    @DominickHarri2
    25 points and 4 assists.
    i know beach is weaker than they have been traditionally, but does beach have any high level recruits playing for them this year???

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    i know beach is weaker than they have been traditionally, but does beach have any high level recruits playing for them this year???
    Beauchamp or is he at Garfield? Always seems like Beach has some USC recruits playing for them.

Quote Originally Posted by kyle dixon View Post
    Beauchamp or is he at Garfield? Always seems like Beach has some USC recruits playing for them.
    marjon is at some prep school in zona...not going to college...straight to the pros

"Dominic Harris, Rancho Christian (CA): The future Gonzaga Bulldog looked terrific in his team’s win over Rainer Beach on Friday evening. Harris should be able to step into the action right away in Spokane. He drilled five three-pointers in his team’s win and also shined on the defensive end of the floor. Harris has all of the tools to become an All-Conference level player in the West Coast Conference and looks to be next in line as the tough guy guard that has shined for Mark Few over the years. "

https://hoopseen.com/news/event/2019...-mobley-teases

Josh
    @TheZagaholic
    ·
    9h
    Julian vs Dom on Saturday. Battle of the Zags. #ZagUp
    Quote Tweet

Samad Hines
    @Samad_Hines
    · 21h
    Gonzaga commit 2020 F Julian Strawther (@JulianStrawther) is averaging 42.3 PPG (3 games) so far this season for Liberty (NV), including two 45+ point games. A big time matchup this Saturday against the nation’s #1 prospect in the 2020 class C Evan Mobley @VegasEliteHoops. https://twitter.com/samad_hines/stat...37575071191040

Game video --Strawther vs Harris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olb3KEIELfg

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Game video --Strawther vs Harris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olb3KEIELfg
    I skipped through the video.
    Harris' team had more players and won the game but Strawther looked unstoppable at times. He must have had 40 points.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Strawther looked unstoppable at times. He must have had 40 points.
    44, and a bunch of rebounds, and pretty fair defense vs. Evan Mobley.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Strawther with 44 in the loss for Liberty. Harris had 21 in the win for Rancho Christian.