Thread: Local semipro team of Ex-Zags imagined

Default Local semipro team of Ex-Zags imagined

Certainly an interesting concept! I could see myself becoming a fan. What think ye? From the Spokane Journal of Business:

https://www.spokanejournal.com/local...zags-imagined/
    Every year Mark Few loses guys that you never heard of before they became a Zag and replaces them with guys you never heard of before they became a Zag. Jimmy Dykes-Maui Classic 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Section 116 View Post
    Certainly an interesting concept! I could see myself becoming a fan. What think ye? From the Spokane Journal of Business:

https://www.spokanejournal.com/local...zags-imagined/
    Why not a senior league that only plays half court?
    It would be easier to find a venue and I would identify with them better.

Quote Originally Posted by Outraged View Post
    Why not a senior league that only plays half court?
    It would be easier to find a venue and I would identify with them better.
    ...and make it 3 on 3 with bleachers in the other half court!
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Great way to lose money

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Great way to lose money
    Yup.

Seems like a weird time to schedule games...cbb and NBA are going strong for a good chunk of.that time frame...and if it is made up with the same shlubs that are doing the 3:3 gigs, no thanks....that is unbearable to watch
    I would never be a sellout............unless of course I got a boat load of money to do it

I would never be a sellout............unless of course I got a boat load of money to do it

Sounds like another failed semi-pro league.

I'd think isolated mid-major college cities like Spokane would be the best fit for this, but I still heavily doubt they could get 2,000 per game over a season (the stated break even point).

Overlapping with the real basketball season is foolish. Also, minor league cities like Spokane have hockey teams stealing viewers during the winter.

I could see people turning out for the first couple games, but when the novelty wears off it will be empty.

The article kind of makes it sound like a scam with the owner's desire to get 100 teams. You'd be lucky to sustain this with 5 teams nationwide. It's like a watered down basketball version of the AFL.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Really the thing thats not being done well in North America is minor league basketball. Europe is really the de facto minor league system for NBA teams (The G League cant compete with their garbage salaries). Its sad really we have all these amazing collegiate players who do not get a chance to play professionally in North America.