• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    I was saying this in April..... everyone called me an idiot
    Nevertheless, you were and are right. The most compelling reason offered for him leaving, IMO, is playing another year in the dreadful WCC, in drafty h.s. gyms in a succession of boring blowouts. Still, what he is enjoying now would almost certainly have been there a year from now. And the OOC and post season could have been wonderful.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Everyone? Perhaps an exaggeration...lol

Play hoops in Europe, make six figures while doing it? Sign me up.

My basic pay out of GU also contained multiple sixes, as in $666 per month. Lol

Comment

• jazzdelmar
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
        Everyone? Perhaps an exaggeration...lol

Play hoops in Europe, make six figures while doing it? Sign me up.

My basic pay out of GU also contained multiple sixes, as in $666 per month. Lol
        Tex, it's not a binary choice. What's there now for NWG would have been there next year.........with a sliver of a chance it would have been an even better opportunity.

Comment

• Zagdawg
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Going to tell you the same thing Zachs dad shared with me. The boys are one serious injury away from leaving basketball for good (ask Shem how close it can be to happening).

Would have loved for NWG to stay another year-- but it did not happen -- time to support him in his choice (follow him in is career) and move on to the next Zags up -- going to be an exciting year -- lots of new faces and old ones who will have the opportunity to step up and make an impact.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
            Tex, it's not a binary choice. What's there now for NWG would have been there next year.........with a sliver of a chance it would have been an even better opportunity.
            I understand where you're coming from, and our chances for another deep run in the Dance would be greatly improved.

Comment

• sittingon50
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

62, if it's any consolation, we knew you were an idiot waaaaaaaaaaaay before April!

But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• cjm720
                Zag for Life
                • Nov 2007

I think most people didn't think he would make the league...and he should come back. Most however respected his decision.
                Go Zags!!!

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cjm720 View Post
                  I think most people didn't think he would make the league...and he should come back. Most however respected his decision.
                  Just like Domas' game against Utah, Zach's game against South Carolina boosted him into a lottery pick.

Comment

• Mojo13
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Nov 2012

This is categorically not true.

What is the average professional basketball players professional career? 3-5 years? More? Less?

Let's give him a huge benefit of the doubt and say NWG will make professional money for 10 years. Staying one more year could theoretically cut out 1/10th of his peak earnings years. He stays in school and that year of peak earnings is gone forever.

Those advocating that he should has stayed sure seem merely concerned about their own personal interests (OMG! FINAL 4!).

Blake Stepp was drafted around the same spot as NWG - he got not even 2 years in of pro ball before his career was done.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                      Zag for Life
                      • Sep 2009

what he is enjoying now would almost certainly have been there a year from now.
                      He'd be a year older, with one less year to play a finite pro career- 10-12 years if he's lucky and stays healthy. So that's somewhere close to 10% of his potential career earnings he'd be giving up to come back. And he's not likely to be making millions.

And there's the career ending injury factor as well.

I'm happy with next year's guards. The dropoff is gonna be at the 5 spot.

Comment

• Mojo13
                        Professional Zag Fan
                        • Nov 2012

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
                        He'd be a year older, with one less year to play a finite pro career- 10-12 years if he's lucky and stays healthy. So that's somewhere close to 10% of his potential career earnings he'd be giving up to come back. And he's not likely to be making millions.

And there's the career ending injury factor as well.

I'm happy with next year's guards. The dropoff is gonna be at the 5 spot.
                        Weird same wave length thing going on here.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                          Zag for Life
                          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Mojo13 View Post
                          Weird same wave length thing going on here.
                          Yeah, I went to do something after I started to post and came back and finished a few min later, then saw yours after I posted.

Comment

• Mojo13
                            Professional Zag Fan
                            • Nov 2012

So no news on NWG signing with Red Star Belgrade in the last week or two when I heard his signing was imminent.
                            Apparently Red Star is trying to lock up young guys on 3 year deals and NWG wants a short term (1 year) or 1+1 deal. Thinking (I assume) that if he plays well he wants a shot at more money or the NBA and not be locked down for 3 years.
                            Red Star is a poorer team in the EuroLeague with one of the smallest budgets, so they need to go this route or they just have too much turnover in players.

Just so people have an idea what we are talking about - lucky Zvezda's (aka Red Star Belgrade) salaries have been leaked in the media. In a press conference they stated that Zvezda will have around 2.7 mil (Euros) this year for salaries of players and coaches (remember this is net after taxes. So far they have spent 2.2 mil, and the supposed 500k is gonna be used on a (starting) PG, or a potential addition of a PF later on/replacement of one of the current players.

Here are the salaries:

Nikola Radičević, PG 150.000
                            Petar Rakićević, SG/SF 80.000
                            James Feldein, SG 350.000
                            Ognjen Dobrić, SG/SF 80.000
                            Aleksa Radanov, PG/SG/SF 50.000
                            Nemanja Dangubić, SF 250.000
                            Marko Kešelj, SF/PF 80.000
                            Stefan Janković, PF 175.000
                            Boriša Simanić, PF 160.000
                            Mathias Lessort, C 170.000
                            Milko Bjelica, PF/C 375.000
                            Nikola Jovanović, C 90.000
                            Branko Lazić SG/SF 200.000

Coaching Staff: 240.000

Total: 2.250.000

So NWG could be looking at 250K to 500K (probably on the lower end) NET Euros per year. Pangos is around $250K for comparison at Zalgiris.

Comment

• bartruff1
                              Zag for Life
                              • Jan 2010

250,000 euros is about $295, 000 ....

Comment

• Mojo13
                                Professional Zag Fan
                                • Nov 2012

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
                                250,000 euros is about $295, 000 ....
                                Ya about that. Given without tax and having accommodation, car, food covered as well, it seems it would be equivalent to a $600-$700K USD pre-tax, which is actually above the NBA minimum salary for rookies and far, far abouve the G-League max. of $75K USD or the two-way deal max. of $275K USD.

NWG signing with Red Star seems to have stalled....so it may not happen. But at least you can get an example of his market value in Europe.

There is more money in China but they usually prefer bigger names in former (slightly washed up) NBA players.

Comment

Working...
                                X