Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: NWG to Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Back to the topic, what would have changed if NWG returned to Gonzaga for another year? Would his draft stock and his pro prospects have improved significantly? He isn't the first player this happened to, and won't be the last.

Yeah, if everybody that still had eligibility left was at GU this year, they would be very formidable. But every perennial top 10 type school can come up w/ their dream team of guys that could still be on campus, if they hadn't gone pro.
    Here's my point. You were ecstatic I'm sure to welcome Alkins and Trier back, correct. And UNC got back Joel Berry. All are far better NBA backcourt prospects than NWG, yes? And don't say the NBA drafts youth and upside. That's for the supers, the first 12 or so, not for role players. Clearly being the preeminent player in CBB on a top 10 team was less an inducement than making chicken feed sitting on an anonymous team in a third rate Euro league. He's never been further away from the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    FULL scholarship guy. What bills???? I agree with Jazz. We just lost a FF with those two gone. Now Collins is injured. Nigel's got a job maybe. It's not the money? FREEDOM comes with a cost to someone. Case closed on those two. We wish em well but never forget the cost to the GU. For me, lol, it's like picking a scab that rebleeds.
    Cost to GU? Maybe we shouldn't have these types of "cost" on the roster any more - just be fine with winning the WCC every now and then.

Lost a FF with those two gone???? Doesn't say much for the guys currently on the roster. I feel we have an excellent team for 2017-2018. Who knows just how well they'll do?!?! Thank you VERY MUCH all former Zags! I'm itching to watch this coming season's bunch - without looking back on what-ifs.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Seeing more rumors that Nigel Williams-Goss is close to signing a multi year deal with Zvezda - expectation is that he'd be their starting PG.

To add to the intrigue I am seeing that Austin Daye is their top FA target for their starting PF.

Y'all gonna have a team to follow in the EuroLeague. Maybe a rivalry brewing with Pangos's Zalgiris.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Cost to GU? Maybe we shouldn't have these types of "cost" on the roster any more - just be fine with winning the WCC every now and then.

Lost a FF with those two gone???? Doesn't say much for the guys currently on the roster. I feel we have an excellent team for 2017-2018. Who knows just how well they'll do?!?! Thank you VERY MUCH all former Zags! I'm itching to watch this coming season's bunch - without looking back on what-ifs.
    Zagged I understand what Doc means...the preverbial "IF" is the key...it is my opinion that if NWG and Zach would have come back with the addition of Wade and Kispert, we would have been a preseason Top Five pick and repeated in the FF...it would have been an incredible season BUT they've didn't stay...

It took me three years to get over Kelly not returning and I believe that after next year I might be able to sleep nights forgetting Domantas...I'm sure that after the 2020 season, I will get over not having back-to-back FF's...but then I'm pretty sentimental...I know how Doc feels...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Zagged I understand what Doc means...the preverbial "IF" is the key...it is my opinion that if NWG and Zach would have come back with the addition of Wade and Kispert, we would have been a preseason Top Five pick and repeated in the FF...it would have been an incredible season BUT they've didn't stay...
    Up
    It took me three years to get over Kelly not returning and I believe that after next year I might be able to sleep nights forgetting Domantas...I'm sure that after the 2020 season, I will get over not having back-to-back FF's...but then I'm pretty sentimental...I know how Doc feels...
    Thanks Bogo. Welcome to a very small club.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Here's my point. You were ecstatic I'm sure to welcome Alkins and Trier back, correct. And UNC got back Joel Berry. All are far better NBA backcourt prospects than NWG, yes? And don't say the NBA drafts youth and upside. That's for the supers, the first 12 or so, not for role players. Clearly being the preeminent player in CBB on a top 10 team was less an inducement than making chicken feed sitting on an anonymous team in a third rate Euro league. He's never been further away from the NBA.
    Definitely happy Trier and Alkins are back, as I'm sure UNC fans are about Berry. As far as how they stack up against NWG as NBA prospects, I really don't know. Berry might be a guy like Mason was at Kansas, just a great college guard, but not somebody the NBA gets excited about. It's getting rarer and rarer for an NBA prospect to stick around for his Sr. year of college, usually if the League really covets them they are gone before then.

Anyway Arizona has lost PLENTY of guys after 1 or 2 years, including some that had no business declaring early and ended up nowhere. And the very first guy I think of when it comes to "Do you jump after your Jr. year when you are a borderline prospect, or do you come back 1 more year?" is Nick Johnson. Would've been great to have him in Tucson 1 more season, but he wouldn't have gotten any taller, and he most likely wouldn't have become a true PG, so nothing really would've changed for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post

I learned a lesson from my grandson, Big D. Two years ago, his favorite was Domas. Last year, it was Zach Collins. He was really bummed out that Killian wasn't on campus...until he spent some time with Corey.

I love 'me all!

I don't think Nigel was going to get any higher in the draft if he had stayed because NBA execs just don't like him. They admire his guts and leadership. It's confusing to me because I see more than a few backup NBA PG's in the league that are no better than him. Especially with how much he has improved as an on ball defender and jump shooter.

Did he even ask Goldman Sachs or UBS, or Chase and all the usuals?

He might've gotten a better contract.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I don't think Nigel was going to get any higher in the draft if he had stayed because NBA execs just don't like him. They admire his guts and leadership. It's confusing to me because I see more than a few backup NBA PG's in the league that are no better than him. Especially with how much he has improved as an on ball defender and jump shooter.
    Nor any lower, so why not enjoy a year of glorious valedictory? The chicken feed would always have been there.

Nor any lower, so why not enjoy a year of glorious valedictory? The chicken feed would always have been there.
    I'm with Jazz on this one.

He wouldn't have raised nor lowered his stock.

22 vs 23 yrs of age? Who cares.

After 20, it's all grouped together and no longer 'phenom'.

Life is too short, enjoy the fruits while you can.

He woulda make a quarter mil next year too...

Hell, maybe he would have developed his 3pt shot even more, who knows.

If you are over 30, and make good money, I GUARANTEE you would give up a good chunk of your yearly or lifetime earnings for one more "real time" year at Gonzaga as a student/fan/athlete/friend. I adore my life, but I definitely would...no matter the cost.

Sometimes we forget these 4 short (albeit lifelong) years only happen once. ONCE. Then its gone. For good. No coming back. Adult goals commence

Then its about earning for a retirement, and as many of you know, it really doesn't matter how MUCH money you make, its all relative. Whether you're a millionaire or not.

NWG's final post to Gonzaga was about 'living his dream to play in the NBA', well, I have a feeling after his summer league woes, he wishes he would have returned for one more season of competition, glory, face of franchise, and fun. He waited to declare last minute for a reason. He tried to ride the F4 wave, but wasn't 100% healthy this off-season and it didn't work out. He probably has one more chance depending on his 1st year in Euro league, but then the door slowly closes.
    "Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

-- Coach Few

https://twitter.com/JazzNationNews/s...20762510102529

JazzNation‏ @JazzNationNews 4h4 hours ago
    More
    NWG (@NigelWG5) wins best dressed rookie in new @SInow article �� http://on.si.com/2fmlV61
    #JazzNation #UtahJazz

He has all the trends down pat: ripped jeans, chelsea boots and cool outerwear to set him apart.
    Um...those are not Chelsea Boots...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Dog Days. As Jazz says. Just folks killing time. Probably not going to affect your life one way or another.

It must be nice to be able to say Euroleague bucks is "chicken feed." Congratulations on your success.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Dog Days. As Jazz says. Just folks killing time. Probably not going to affect your life one way or another.
    What did dogs do to pass the time before the internet?

A couple points being made on here strike me as questionable...

"Why not come back and play for a national championship?" - The tournament is a crapshoot every year. Last year's team was our best ever and we still easily could have lost in the Sweet 16 to West Virginia. Losing the college basketball's best center and a lottery pick, we likely were not going to be better this season even with NWG. Last year was a special team and, to be honest, we likely will not top it this year, so why not go out on a high note?

"Why not experience the glory and excitement of college basketball for one more year?" - Is this to say that there is no glory in competing for a Euroleague championship? Sure, March Madness is one of sporting's biggest spectacles, but the Euroleague finals are a huge deal in international basketball. The intensity and atmosphere of some of those Euroleague games rivals anything that you'll see at the college level. Nigel is not going to be wanting for energized arenas and big stages to play in next season.

Another factor that I haven't really heard mentioned on here much is that maybe Nigel was just bored with college basketball. Playing another full year of WCC basketball does not provide much of a challenge for him as an athlete. True competitors want to challenge themselves against the best so they can elevate their games, and that's exactly what he is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    What did dogs do to pass the time before the internet?
    I'd ask my son's pooch, but she's not answering her phone at the moment. She's suffering from her normal affliction of separation anxiety, when the family is at work or school.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I'd ask my son's pooch, but she's not answering her phone at the moment. She's suffering from her normal affliction of separation anxiety, when the family is at work or school.
    Millennials...

Quote Originally Posted by zaguarxj View Post
    It must be nice to be able to say Euroleague bucks is "chicken feed." Congratulations on your success.
    Agreed. Top players in the EL are making near $7-9mil USD equivalent.

For example Alexi Shved (a NBA washout) is being paid 3.5M Euros a year NET (meaning after tax).

My guess is NWG would start at about 150K-200K Euros a year NET. That would be equivalent to about $350-$450K USD gross (chickenfeed!).

https://www.talkbasket.net/salaries

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo13 View Post
    Agreed. Top players in the EL are making near $7-9mil USD equivalent.

For example Alexi Shved (a NBA washout) is being paid 3.5M Euros a year NET (meaning after tax).

My guess is NWG would start at about 150K-200K Euros a year NET. That would be equivalent to about $350-$450K USD gross (chickenfeed!).

https://www.talkbasket.net/salaries
    That puts it into perspective a little better.

Go over, young, single, live on $100K, bank the rest, ready to go and do it again. Be well on his way to never having to work for an Investment Banks.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    That puts it into perspective a little better.

Go over, young, single, live on $100K, bank the rest, ready to go and do it again. Be well on his way to never having to work for an Investment Banks.
    And for more perspective some of you should google Red Star Belgrade basketball for images and videos.
    It makes The Kennel look like a church.

Probably the most intense place to play in the world.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZrDgMYRn9w
    That smoke is from flares and fireworks lit off by fans.

This one takes you on a tour. Skip to minute 4 to get a taste of a variety of European basketball stadium settings.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWrSw3X8TRs

Twitter is on fire regarding new Zvezda (Red Star Belgrade) signing being announced today. It hasn't been done yet but it is expected soon. They are saying that a "Bulldog is landing in Belgrade". That is 99% Williams-Goss. Unless somehow it ends up being Kyle Wiltjer or Austin Daye as they are looking for an import starting caliber PF too.

Pretty rare feat for a kid to go directly from the NCAA to the Euroleague. Usually they start at a lower level to get their professional feet wet.

I was saying this in April..... everyone called me an idiot
    20 Straight Big Dances

10 Straight Round of 32s

9 Sweet Sixteens

3 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2017 NATIONAL RUNNER UP

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.