Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: NWG to Europe?

Julius Caesar Act 4, Scene 3.....Brutus....:

" There is a tide in the affairs of men....that is a force....that ebbs and flows in time and one must go with the flow....waiting around only allows your power to ebb....if the opportunity is missed....you'll be stranded in miserable shallows....we must take the current when it serves ...or lose our ventures "...according to the Bard....take the money and run....according to Bart..

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo13 View Post
    Really? Does this need to be repeated ad nauseam?
    A pro basketball player's career is finite. Period. They are getting one more year of income at a rate most of us can't dream of. Zach is making $3M this year. NWG might get close to 400K-500K US dollar equivalent.

Let's just drag 200K net after tax out to normal retirement age you are taking $3.6 million dollars (7% rate). The opportunity cost of staying in school for one extra year just for NWG is in the millions (tens of millions for Zach).

Yes...there are a loads of other variables that could go into it, but I see only money lost by NWG staying another year.
    Unlikely an American is going to get 500k his first season in euro league with no NBA experience on his resume. Maybe half that if he is lucky. He will get a free apartment and 2-3 free meals per day though. Americans have to prove themselves in Europe, or have significant NBA minutes on their resume, to get the life changing dough.

What's wrong with a fan dreaming of a front court NEXT year of Sabonis, Collins, Tillie and Williams, orchestrated by NWG. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    What's wrong with a fan dreaming of a front court NEXT year of Sabonis, Collins, Tillie and Williams, orchestrated by NWG. Sigh.
    Nothing at all. For myself, I prefer to dream about what is in front of me instead of dwelling on what might have been.

Oh dear lord! That would just be mean.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Nothing at all. For myself, I prefer to dream about what is in front of me instead of dwelling on what might have been.
    Fair enuf, Mark. But it's the dog days of August. I'm allowed.

Fair enuf, Mark. But it's the dog days of August. I'm allowed.
    Absolutely. Although, in Del Mar it's hard to complain about dog days. Here in the Central Valley.....

Although, I'm half crazy. I like it when it's 100 degrees.

The problem would be trying to imagine the team from KU or UNC if noone left school early for the NBA.

Absolutely. Although, in Del Mar it's hard to complain about dog days. Here in the Central Valley.....

Although, I'm half crazy. I like it when it's 100 degrees.
    Hot enough here, Mark. High 80s and very humid. Just came back from Yosemite, plenty hot there. You near there, Fresno? Great airport.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    The problem would be trying to imagine the team from KU or UNC if noone left school early for the NBA.
    Geez, how hot is it in Des Moines?

Hot enough here, Mark. High 80s and very humid. Just came back from Yosemite, plenty hot there. You near there, Fresno? Great airport.
    Pretty close. About 60 miles north on 99. I go through Mariposa to get to Yosemite. Haven't done it since the big fire, but I love that place.

Youngest son matriculated at UC San Diego. We found a motel in Del Mar that we frequented many a time. Almost hated to see him graduate. The good news there is it was like a $40,000/yr raise when we didn't have tuition to pay and an apartment in La Jolla to rent.

Will be flying out of Fresno to Phoenix in a couple weeks. Always enjoy the low key atmosphere at that airport.

Pretty close. About 60 miles north on 99. I go through Mariposa to get to Yosemite. Haven't done it since the big fire, but I love that place.

Youngest son matriculated at UC San Diego. We found a motel in Del Mar that we frequented many a time. Almost hated to see him graduate. The good news there is it was like a $40,000/yr raise when we didn't have tuition to pay and an apartment in La Jolla to rent.

Will be flying out of Fresno to Phoenix in a couple weeks. Always enjoy the low key atmosphere at that airport.
    Del Mar hotel on the beach? Lauberge, Stratford court? Hit Jakes and Poseidon much? UCSD, impressive. Fresno airport shocked us, futuristic, cantilevered like a new European airport. Why is that? Lotta money in that area? Shared with military? Yosemite was Times Square, stayed at Majestic. One and done for us. Way prefer Glacier and Tetons.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    Unlikely an American is going to get 500k his first season in euro league with no NBA experience on his resume. Maybe half that if he is lucky. He will get a free apartment and 2-3 free meals per day though. Americans have to prove themselves in Europe, or have significant NBA minutes on their resume, to get the life changing dough.
    I thought the starting salary in the Euroleague is supposed to be about $100k now (a little more for better players). And if you play for a lot of teams, they pay the local tax, plus the car, apartment and meals they usually offer. Then, the foreign tax credit covers most of the earned overseas salary. I'd bet Goss ends up on the higher end of the starting salaries and is making six digits. And he will make that with a lower tax liability than someone in the D league making a quarter or fifth that. Not a bad starting salary and there are some pretty nice places to play in Europe.

Del Mar hotel on the beach? Lauberge, Stratford court? Hit Jakes and Poseidon much? UCSD, impressive. Fresno airport shocked us, futuristic, cantilevered like a new European airport. Why is that? Lotta money in that area? Shared with military? Yosemite was Times Square, stayed at Majestic. One and done for us. Way prefer Glacier and Tetons.
    Airport has National Guard. You'd be surprised at the number of multi millionaire farmers around Fresno.

Hotel was on Camino Del Mar. Best Western Premier. Quiet. Inexpensive. Close to all the cool stuff like beaches, racetrack, UCSD, etc.

Proud of the kid. Degree in economics.

Jake's Sunday brunch. Good stuff.

Yosemite Valley is gorgeous, but to be avoided. People think they are in Disneyland. They don't seem to mind the crowds, but I can't take it. Hiking in the high country is the best.

There were giggling blue marlins nightly top floor of the plaze. Loved that bar!

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    There were giggling blue marlins nightly top floor of the plaze. Loved that bar!
    Which place?

It's for the best. I have said it once and I will say it again.....if the chance is there, I would rather play in Europe, and see more PT than rot as the 12th man on the NBA bench. Even if NWG were to make a NBA team, so what? He has a better chance of making the NBA and sticking by playing in Europe and showing off his talents professionally. Plus, you get to be in one place and know what you future is to some extent.

I still say that if Delly can play in the league, so can NWG.

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    I thought the starting salary in the Euroleague is supposed to be about $100k now (a little more for better players). And if you play for a lot of teams, they pay the local tax, plus the car, apartment and meals they usually offer. Then, the foreign tax credit covers most of the earned overseas salary. I'd bet Goss ends up on the higher end of the starting salaries and is making six digits. And he will make that with a lower tax liability than someone in the D league making a quarter or fifth that. Not a bad starting salary and there are some pretty nice places to play in Europe.
    There is little rhyme or reason to salaries in the top league overseas (Euroleague) because of the discrepancies in team budgets. CSKA Moscow has a yearly budget of about 35M,and might spend 15M on salaries. Zvezda on the other hand has a budget of about 5M and might spend 2M on salaries. There is no salary cap and contracts are not guaranteed. Many contracts for US players are weekly, where a player will be paid a certain amount a week, but he can be cut with no notice and will have to find another team to play on oversees or head back to the US. If you are a star in the Euroleague it can be a great life, but if you are a journeymen it can be pretty unsettling at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo13 View Post
    Really? Does this need to be repeated ad nauseam?
    A pro basketball player's career is finite. Period. They are getting one more year of income at a rate most of us can't dream of. Zach is making $3M this year. NWG might get close to 400K-500K US dollar equivalent.

Let's just drag 200K net after tax out to normal retirement age you are taking $3.6 million dollars (7% rate). The opportunity cost of staying in school for one extra year just for NWG is in the millions (tens of millions for Zach).

Yes...there are a loads of other variables that could go into it, but I see only money lost by NWG staying another year.
    Ding, ding, ding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    +1

I still say that if Delly can play in the league, so can NWG.[/QUOTE]

And Delly Got Paid - almost $40 Mil!

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    With the number of schollies set, it would mean more top caliber players available for all the other schools.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    And Delly Got Paid - almost $40 Mil![/QUOTE]

With the exception of LeBron and a few others, the 2018 FA class will be sorely disappointed. The teams spent it all the past two years.

Yosemite Valley is gorgeous, but to be avoided. People think they are in Disneyland. They don't seem to mind the crowds, but I can't take it. Hiking in the high country is the best.
    The Valley is unique enough to be worth visiting at least once or twice, briefly. I prefer Tuolumne area. Or Kings Canyon. Or Ansel Adams and John Muir Wilderness Areas. The east side of the Sierras rocks!

Back to the topic, what would have changed if NWG returned to Gonzaga for another year? Would his draft stock and his pro prospects have improved significantly? He isn't the first player this happened to, and won't be the last.

Yeah, if everybody that still had eligibility left was at GU this year, they would be very formidable. But every perennial top 10 type school can come up w/ their dream team of guys that could still be on campus, if they hadn't gone pro.