• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mojo13
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Nov 2012

NWG to Europe?

New rumor flying around that Nigel Williams-Goss on Zvezda's (Serbia powerhouse, EuroLeague team) radar for their new starting PG.

I think that would be good for him.
  • thebigsmoove
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Mojo13 View Post
    New rumor flying around that Nigel Williams-Goss on Zvezda's (Serbia powerhouse, EuroLeague team) radar for their new starting PG.

I think that would be good for him.
    yeah i dont think he did enough in summer league, but training camp could be different.

Comment

• Mojo13
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Nov 2012

I picked this off one of the message boards talking about it. A view of NWG from a EuroLeague fan who knows their stuff. I thought is was an interesting perspective.

"If true (NWG rumour), this has all the potential to be a terrific steal (most probably, no longer than for a season) and a nice partial compensation for all the losses Zvezda took this off-season. Williams-Goss being unneeded by a mediocre team like Jazz is a major sign of NBA being a weird world of its own. I mean, this guy is decent in defense and he was one of the most effective, varied and finesse offensive weapons in all the NCAA. His floater is just otherworldly, he nicely absorbs contact and creates separartion by using his body despite not being a huge athlete, not a natural-born floor general but a solid facilitator who very rarely turns the ball over. Not the best shooter (but a decent one), yet definitely he is no Calathes to be left open. And while he can definitely improve in being less selfish and more team-oriented player, the most important thing is that the guy is smart and he uses this smartness very effectively on the court. It is a very, very valuable asset for European basketball. This is what allows him to be a tough player in defense, despite lacking in athleticism and quickness. There are no major deficiencies in his game and there are some things in which he is really brilliant. For me this means that we are talking about excellent baller."

Comment

• Mojo13
        Professional Zag Fan
        • Nov 2012

Originally posted by thebigsmoove View Post
        yeah i dont think he did enough in summer league, but training camp could be different.
        Doubtful. I don't see any way he makes the Jazz roster this year. If this rumor is true, then he and his agent know it too. A starting PG in the Euroleague is literally the one step below the NBA. He will get way more out of this than a year in the G-League.

Comment

• thebigsmoove
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2007

Doubtful. I don't see any way he makes the Jazz roster this year. If this rumor is true, then he and his agent know it too. A starting PG in the Euroleague is literally the one step below the NBA. He will get way more out of this than a year in the G-League.
          couldnt agree more. Much more than a year just riding the pine in the NBA too.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2008

That was a pretty spot-on assessment of Nigel, imo- although I think he is a better defender than he was given credit for.

Comment

• Worthington
              Bleeds GU Blue
              • Aug 2011

Great opportunity for Nigel if true. Euroleague hoops is intense, high level basketball.

I was very hopeful that he would make an NBA roster, but he played uncharacteristically poorly in the summer league action that I watched. Hopefully he can get a year of pro ball under his belt and come back and impress an NBA team next year.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

The Jazz had a guard who came into camp who was a big surprise -- can't recall the name-- but he was given a shot (recovering from an injury) and he excelled.

Comment

• Mojo13
                  Professional Zag Fan
                  • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
                  The Jazz had a guard who came into camp who was a big surprise -- can't recall the name-- but he was given a shot (recovering from an injury) and he excelled.
                  Not much room on the Jazz roster - ok...no room.
                  The Jazz now have 16 guaranteed contracts, and one two-way contract. So someone already has to go before the season starts.

PG depth is Rubio, Dante Exum and Raul Neto, with a guys like Rodney Hood, Alec Burks and Donavan Mitchell as SGs where at least Mitchell can play some PG.

I don't see NWG beating out anyone on this list. Neto would be most possible, but he is not a bad role player for the Jazz - pesky defender.

NWG could still get that other 2-way G-League contract, but a starting PG in the EuroLeague will be more money and seems to me a better career development opportunity.

Comment

• mgadfly
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Not much room on the Jazz roster - ok...no room.
                    The Jazz now have 16 guaranteed contracts, and one two-way contract. So someone already has to go before the season starts.

PG depth is Rubio, Dante Exum and Raul Neto, with a guys like Rodney Hood, Alec Burks and Donavan Mitchell as SGs where at least Mitchell can play some PG.

I don't see NWG beating out anyone on this list. Neto would be most possible, but he is not a bad role player for the Jazz - pesky defender.

NWG could still get that other 2-way G-League contract, but a starting PG in the EuroLeague will be more money and seems to me a better career development opportunity.
                    If he took the two-way deal he would be tied to the jazz. He'd only get a shot if they needed a PG. wouldn't it be better to get cut, take the European money, and then be free to pursue an offer from any needy NBA team? I'm not sure what is attractive about those two-way contracts.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Should have stayed and enjoyed the glory train on the road to the FF (as should have Zach). What was the hurry? Now he's just a guy with a tough job......

Comment

• El Zag
                        Kennel Club Material
                        • Jan 2009

instant vs delayed gratification

Comment

• bartruff1
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jan 2010

The glory doesn't pay the bills or provide a opportunity for a financially secure lifetime..no one is promised tomorrow ...not for a Championship or a boatload of money ....." ...there is a tide in the affairs of men......."....read it, there is great wisdom there..

Comment

• Mojo13
                            Professional Zag Fan
                            • Nov 2012

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                            Should have stayed and enjoyed the glory train on the road to the FF (as should have Zach). What was the hurry? Now he's just a guy with a tough job......
                            Really? Does this need to be repeated ad nauseam?
                            A pro basketball player's career is finite. Period. They are getting one more year of income at a rate most of us can't dream of. Zach is making $3M this year. NWG might get close to 400K-500K US dollar equivalent.

Let's just drag 200K net after tax out to normal retirement age you are taking $3.6 million dollars (7% rate). The opportunity cost of staying in school for one extra year just for NWG is in the millions (tens of millions for Zach).

Yes...there are a loads of other variables that could go into it, but I see only money lost by NWG staying another year.

Comment

• btzag
                              Bleeds GU Blue
                              • Feb 2007

Really? Does this need to be repeated ad nauseam?
                              A pro basketball player's career is finite. Period. They are getting one more year of income at a rate most of us can't dream of. Zach is making $3M this year. NWG might get close to 400K-500K US dollar equivalent.

Let's just drag 200K net after tax out to normal retirement age you are taking $3.6 million dollars (7% rate). The opportunity cost of staying in school for one extra year just for NWG is in the millions (tens of millions for Zach).

Yes...there are a loads of other variables that could go into it, but I see only money lost by NWG staying another year.
                              I agree. If true, congrats to NWG on landing an elite job!

Comment

Working...
                              X