Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please stick to the topic presented in a thread

How soon until this too gets off topic and we start discussion the merits of JP at the 1 or 2!? Too soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Yes, please! Just retired but I certainly still do not have time to read a bunch of off-topic posts before making my own reply. I like to learn but some of the diatribe is tiring at best and usually just makes me not wish to visit the forum - especially if a find an interesting topic locked down. Sheesh! I'm getting to the point that I wish someone would start a completely new Zags forum and have some sort of filter on who they let post. I don't even mind if I'm blocked. I'd just like to read good info on the Zags without bickering and insensitive comments. End of rant
    Congrats on your retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    How soon until this too gets off topic and we start discussion the merits of JP at the 1 or 2!? Too soon?

I've been pondering the comments on this thread for the last half hour. I agree with everyone in some ways which merely means that I am conflicted about what makes this site interesting to me. I don't thinks that the nature of the guboard can be resolved to make everyone happy. Should we take a poll?..or should we continue to just rely on the moderators to judge what is appropriate? It's really up to them what flies here.
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo13 View Post
    Get off my lawn you stupid kids.

I'd be thankful for the relative lack of trolls on this board compared to almost every other sports message board in the world. This is a relative oasis of peace and civility and frankly, lectures like this are typically blood in the water to the trollish denizens of the web. So look out... shots fired.
    I'm sure I can be as insufferable as any around.

But, it's pretty funny that this board is like digital Lincoln/Douglas-level debate and thoughtfulness compared to most boards about sports, especially if one factors in college football boards. Somewhere out there is an Alabama board with a thread about the fact that Nick Saban can't coach, he's just a good program manager. I'm sure some Michigan State basketball fans that are tired of how long it's been since Izzo took the team deep, that Duke fans are tired of Coach K doing less with more, and Calipari just isn't committed to paying kids what they're worth. And I think they can be brutal on the kids.

But, we should strive to be better, we're GU and GU is special, as we all know.

If someone says "Spike the Mascot doesn't have the length to cover Scooby one on one" - that's basketball, strategy, fair. But, "Spike can't shoot bc he hasn't been committed to putting in the work ....(As an example of one of my lowest moments), that crosses a line bc A) I didn't know what I was talking about, but worse B) It's a comment on someone personally, and that person is a kid who is playing "amateur" sports.

As soon as an emancipated adult signs up for money to play, then they've put themselves out there for criticism of any type. College kids, it's different, and that didn't start with eBoards, sports journalists always drew the line at that point. It's a good example to follow.

As for threads that just "wander" off topic, meh, it's summer.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post

As for threads that just "wander" off topic, meh, it's summer. Anyone seen any good movies? I heard there's all kinds of controversy shooting the new Star Wars.
    i hadn't heard that. mind posting a link?

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    i hadn't heard that. mind posting a link?
    Darn it!

I deleted that afterward precisely because it would prove just too tempting. Tell you what, there's a Foo thread dedicated to Star Wars, we can move the whole discussion (about Star Wars) there. http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...s-Thread/page4

And for just the Star Wars news: http://www.esquire.com/entertainment...rs-9-problems/

Now, if everyone can please stick to the two topics at hand, whether the MBB is a foul place devoid of heart and basketball insight, and Star Wars, that would be appreciated.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Darn it!

I deleted that afterward precisely because it would prove just too tempting. Tell you what, there's a Foo thread dedicated to Star Wars, we can move the whole discussion (about Star Wars) there. http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...s-Thread/page4

And for just the Star Wars news: http://www.esquire.com/entertainment...rs-9-problems/

Now, if everyone can please stick to the two topics at hand, whether the MBB is a foul place devoid of heart and basketball insight, and Star Wars, that would be appreciated.
    thanks, sir. now, back to whatever we were talking about before.

I appreciate the theory behind the original post. If someone starts a post on "Apples", I don't particularly want to read about "Peaches" or "Grapefruit" as I make my way down the thread.
    But somebody else in this thread suggested that whenever players are discussed, the comments should be limited to only those which will be cherished by the friends and family of the player and perhaps printed out and posted on the refrigerator door in the player's mom's house. That I strongly disagree with. If one of you says "XXX - the latest walk-on guard at GU - is the greatest guard to play basketball in the history of the world", I reserve the right to disagree and to point out that there are 300 other guards who are head-and-shoulders above XXX.
    Last I checked, the point of a discussion board was to discuss things, not to kiss somebody's hindquarters with false praise and nonsensical comments.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

I will contend that the more "trolls" the more relevant the program is.

A poster alluded earlier that if you want the discussion to continue then continue to post on it..."trolls" will move on if you don't feed them. This thread reads as if you are complaining about being overweight because you eat too much McDonalds and you blame McDonald's because they do not serve healthier food. Don't go to McDonald's (don't respond to posts you don't want to, if the discussion is interesting it will continue).
    I would never be a sellout............unless of course I got a boat load of money to do it

Quote Originally Posted by 75Zag View Post
    I appreciate the theory behind the original post. If someone starts a post on "Apples", I don't particularly want to read about "Peaches" or "Grapefruit" as I make my way down the thread.
    But somebody else in this thread suggested that whenever players are discussed, the comments should be limited to only those which will be cherished by the friends and family of the player and perhaps printed out and posted on the refrigerator door in the player's mom's house. That I strongly disagree with. If one of you says "XXX - the latest walk-on guard at GU - is the greatest guard to play basketball in the history of the world", I reserve the right to disagree and to point out that there are 300 other guards who are head-and-shoulders above XXX.
    Last I checked, the point of a discussion board was to discuss things, not to kiss somebody's hindquarters with false praise and nonsensical comments.

Go Bulldogs!
    Right on, 75, but doubtful this is what many/most here endorse.

75 -- the expectation is to temper the tearing down of the players that the staff signs here in the welcome threads--- let's wait until they get a chance to prove themselves and make an informed decision-- our recent signees have 2 or more years before the step foot on campus-- they will fill out, improve in areas and may even gain some height/weight. You have a few here who will start the teardown based upon number of stars by their name or if they are shorter than 6'5" as a guard or if they come from Utah and not California because they did not play against good enough competition to deserve an offer to play for our "Mighty" school.

Kinda like telling you you can't work at your firm because you are not a Harvard graduate-- the partners might have saw something in you that made them willing to take a chance----even UW law school graduates can chase ambulances.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    As long as we're making/taking suggestions, here's one:

Try to be concise; War & Peace every freaking time you log on is boorish.
    +1000

Thanks to all who posted here. As usual I appreciate the diversity of opinions and I DO like to hear from those who disagree with me. However, I don't appreciate the kind of attacking that one often hears by students in Middle School and 5th grade. I am sure that members of GUBoards do not have to read these kind of juvenile statements that seem to appear on chat boards all across America. Yes! Thank God that we only have to put up with a handful of them. According to people writing on this thread there does seem to only be a handful. It's quite obvious who they are. And thank God that the majority of people who post here do know how to disagree as well as listen to others who disagree in a mature way. Finally. I also want to thank those of you who have stuck to the topic of this discussion.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    . . . even UW law school graduates can chase ambulances.
    My best marketing idea ever was to post tasteful advertisements for my firm's personal injury attorneys on the ceiling inside all of the local ambulances, but my stick-in-the-mud partners (the guys from Harvard) would not let me do it. Now, back to the topic.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Go Bulldogs!
    I agree, '75. I doubt that there are very many posters who think like the one you just quoted. A good discussion does include different points of view, and I'm glad that there are some who feel like the person whom you were quoting. This person also needs to be heard even though very few would agree with him. Just as there are those who agree with your passionate reaction. Most people, I imagine, share opinions somewhere between the two of you. I disagree with Jazz's assessment that most fans here tend to think and post like the person you are quoting.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Here is a concept for everyone, how about we post things and then discuss them without everyone being upset that conversations go in separate directions. Lets be real here, if you are on this forum, then you are already looking to waste time hemming and hawing with the rest of us, stop complaining about time being wasted reading comments you feel dont stay on topic, ESPECIALLY when the person who mentions them specifically states "OT" at the beginning of their comment, ala the lakers discussion in the Fiba thread. The complaining is about as immature as any one comment ive ever seen here, if you are truly a mature adult who is capable of having an intelligent discussion, then why even spend your time complaining about intelligent discourse? Jeez.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    Here is a concept for everyone, how about we post things and then discuss them without everyone being upset that conversations go in separate directions. Lets be real here, if you are on this forum, then you are already looking to waste time hemming and hawing with the rest of us, stop complaining about time being wasted reading comments you feel dont stay on topic, ESPECIALLY when the person who mentions them specifically states "OT" at the beginning of their comment, ala the lakers discussion in the Fiba thread. The complaining is about as immature as any one comment ive ever seen here, if you are truly a mature adult who is capable of having an intelligent discussion, then why even spend your time complaining about intelligent discourse? Jeez.
    New here?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    New here?
    not really, but my attention has been sporadic at times.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    not really, but my attention has been sporadic at times.
    Stick around, we can always use critical thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Stick around, we can always use critical thinking.
    Assuming the forum police dont kick me out, i may just do that.

did anyone see the home run derby last night? Judge was a beast

Haha, Judge was a beast! That being said, when a thread topic getting sidetracked every now and then, it is really no different then most normal people conversations. I don't sweat it. Today is Amazon Prime Day!

Why is this thread even allowed to remain on this Board? In its opening paragraph it purports to be about conduct and procedure throughout the various forums on the GU Boards. This is off-topic in the men's basketball board. It is definitely more off topic than the Zach Collins thread that was banished to the old dogs forum even though he's been gone from GU for approximately six seconds.

Please post in the appropriate board (don't hijack my Men's basketball board!)!!!!

My best marketing idea ever was to post tasteful advertisements for my firm's personal injury attorneys on the ceiling inside all of the local ambulances, but my stick-in-the-mud partners (the guys from Harvard) would not let me do it. Now, back to the topic.

Go Bulldogs!
    One better for personal injury lawyer marketing: some guy set up his personal injury practice in the biggest auto body repair shop in Leesville, LA.
    "The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-