• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Please stick to the topic presented in a thread

I've been a part of this forum (Gonzaga men's basketball( for a long time and here are a few ideas that I think make this a really good place to discuss GU men's basketball. Usually someone posts a topic that I call a thread (I think other's call it an op). For example, a thread topic might be GU vs St Mary's predictions and game analyses. That should be the topic that fans who post here talk about. They can give a prediction and say something about the game. IMO fans that post here should stick to the topic, and NOT begin to post things about other topics, period. If you want to post something about the Seahawks, or the Lakers, or even the girl's basketball program at GU there are other forums for you to post your ideas about those ideas. If you want to post your thoughts about players who have graduated there is a place for that too. I think it's called Old Timers or something like that. To find those OTHER forums just click on Basketball Discussion at the top of this page.

Recently there was a really good thread on Fiba that went totally ballistic because a few posters wanted to start talking about rookies playing for NBA teams this summer. And there may have been other posts on other topics. I was very interested in the U-19 Fiba tournament because two of our players (Hachimura and Tillie) were playing in it (Tillie for France and Hachimura for Japan). It began as a very good thread, and stayed that way for a few days, and there were some really good conversations about Rui and Tillie. And then suddenly it changed and people began to post about other things and in particular the rookie NBA league. And suddenly there wasn't even any more discussion about the FIBA tournament or about Hatchimura and Tillie.

The other thing that could be discussed here the the idea of what to post after you decide to contribute to the discussion at hand. There are various opinions about this, and mine is that it is good to have diverse ideas in a thread. And it's this diversity in opinions that I believe make a really good thread. With this being said, I think that a person can go overboard in his or her negative criticism. I've done it at times myself and I imagine most of us have. One suggestion that has helped me over the years is to first read what I've typed before hitting the ENTER key. The second, and i feel this is a really good idea, is that we need to remember that these are young kids and they have families and friends who read what's said here on GUBoards. One thing I ask myself is how would I want others to criticize my son or daughter or grandkids. The last thing I'll share about this is that when the Zags loose I do not post anything. I let myself cool off and when I do say something it the next day or two in comes out with a lot more sensitivity.

I really like participating on this forum. Sometimes I feel things get a little out of hand and threads get derailed by posters who are just too darn lazy to go to another forum to talk about other things other than GU basketball, or just start a new thread if you want to talk about something else. And finally, let's try to keep this forum as a positive place to come to talk about GU men's basketball.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • Coach Crazy
    • Apr 2011

Here is my criticism: this board also needs to gain a great deal of maturity with regard to critique of players. A critique unless stated with inflammatory attack is not inappropriate. The discussion concerning summer league was an OT mention in response to my statement about critiques.

Sometimes threads get a teeny bit off topic. The "Hey, you kids! Get off my lawn!" approach gets old. Yes, we can do a better job, but the thread wasn't hijacked and would not have been that hard to bring back around.

If this is how extreme it's going to be, then I'm going to start calling people out for juvenile and fan boy responses to player, coach, and other such critique/scouting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Zagdawg
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

The "I know everything about basketball" approach gets pretty old pretty quick -- and I agree with Reborn -- if you want to talk about NBA or how the staff just "wasted a scholly on player X" best find a better place to do it. We went through this with David Stockton and it was old then and it is still old now because a fan thought he was on the team because of his connection to the program.

Comment

• willandi
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
        The "I know everything about basketball" approach gets pretty old pretty quick -- and I agree with Reborn -- if you want to talk about NBA or how the staff just "wasted a scholly on player X" best find a better place to do it. We went through this with David Stockton and it was old then and it is still old now because a fan thought he was on the team because of his connection to the program.
        Isn't his Dad the only reason he got to play (briefly) in the NBA? Just kidding.

I agree that staying on topic in the threads is nice. There are other forums for each other idea. Maybe there could be a hodge-podge forum and all off topic postings could get moved there by the mods! It could make for some interesting, albeit, confusing reading.
        Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• GoZags
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Coach Crazy View Post
          Here is my criticism: this board also needs to gain a great deal of maturity with regard to critique of players. A critique unless stated with inflammatory attack is not inappropriate. The discussion concerning summer league was an OT mention in response to my statement about critiques.

Sometimes threads get a teeny bit off topic. The "Hey, you kids! Get off my lawn!" approach gets old. Yes, we can do a better job, but the thread wasn't hijacked and would not have been that hard to bring back around.

If this is how extreme it's going to be, then I'm going to start calling people out for juvenile and fan boy responses to player, coach, and other such critique/scouting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          While your opinion is valued ... it's my opinion that a "Welcome to Gonzaga" thread for a new commit should NEVER transform into a peeing contest between message board "experts" about a current (or former) player's perceived "flaws". That's what drives me nuts .... a thread that should be cherished by the player, his family or friends that denigrates into the "worst" of guboards banter. This happens on nearly every "Welcome to Gonzaga" thread.

Also .... as was stated the other day, the personal "Calling out" (or personal attacks) as you are suggesting you'll start doing more of will simply result in more locked threads, deleted threads and banned members.
          sigpic
          “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
          ——-
          List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
          Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• willandi
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
            While your opinion is valued ... it's my opinion that a "Welcome to Gonzaga" thread for a new commit should NEVER transform into a peeing contest between message board "experts" about a current (or former) player's perceived "flaws". That's what drives me nuts .... a thread that should be cherished by the player, his family or friends that denigrates into the "worst" of guboards banter. This happens on nearly every "Welcome to Gonzaga" thread.

Also .... as was stated the other day, the personal "Calling out" (or personal attacks) as you are suggesting you'll start doing more of will simply result in more locked threads, deleted threads and banned members.
            Hear, here!

Comment

• Mojo13
              Professional Zag Fan
              • Nov 2012

Get off my lawn you stupid kids.

I'd be thankful for the relative lack of trolls on this board compared to almost every other sports message board in the world. This is a relative oasis of peace and civility and frankly, lectures like this are typically blood in the water to the trollish denizens of the web. So look out... shots fired.

Comment

• soccerdud
                Zag for Life
                • Jul 2009

imo posters (aka random people on the intrawebs) should be seen and not heard and only speak when spoken to.

what's this thing doing on mbb, anyway? mods? could we get this moved to the "forum etiquette" sub-forum?

you're welcome, mojo.

Comment

• thebigsmoove
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Mojo13 View Post
                  Thanks Moms.

You should all quit telling people to get off your lawns and be thankful for the relative lack of trolls on this board compared to almost every other sports message board in the world. This is relatively oasis of peace and civility and frankly, sanctimonious lectures like this are typically blood in the water to typical trollish denizens of the web.
                  Right?

The Forum police are getting petty.

Comment

• willandi
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2007

I have had people accuse me of being a troll. To set the record straight, I am a dry fly!

Comment

• thebigsmoove
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                      I have had people accuse me of being a troll. To set the record straight, I am a dry fly!
                      The ugly bridge dwelling troll, or the bright haired movie star trolls? asking for a friend.

Comment

• ZagNative
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Nice try, Reborn. Keep up the effort, friend!

Comment

• zagbeliever
                          Bleeds GU Blue
                          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                          I've been a part of this forum (Gonzaga men's basketball( for a long time and here are a few ideas that I think make this a really good place to discuss GU men's basketball. Usually someone posts a topic that I call a thread (I think other's call it an op). For example, a thread topic might be GU vs St Mary's predictions and game analyses. That should be the topic that fans who post here talk about. They can give a prediction and say something about the game. IMO fans that post here should stick to the topic, and NOT begin to post things about other topics, period. If you want to post something about the Seahawks, or the Lakers, or even the girl's basketball program at GU there are other forums for you to post your ideas about those ideas. If you want to post your thoughts about players who have graduated there is a place for that too. I think it's called Old Timers or something like that. To find those OTHER forums just click on Basketball Discussion at the top of this page.

Recently there was a really good thread on Fiba that went totally ballistic because a few posters wanted to start talking about rookies playing for NBA teams this summer. And there may have been other posts on other topics. I was very interested in the U-19 Fiba tournament because two of our players (Hachimura and Tillie) were playing in it (Tillie for France and Hachimura for Japan). It began as a very good thread, and stayed that way for a few days, and there were some really good conversations about Rui and Tillie. And then suddenly it changed and people began to post about other things and in particular the rookie NBA league. And suddenly there wasn't even any more discussion about the FIBA tournament or about Hatchimura and Tillie.

The other thing that could be discussed here the the idea of what to post after you decide to contribute to the discussion at hand. There are various opinions about this, and mine is that it is good to have diverse ideas in a thread. And it's this diversity in opinions that I believe make a really good thread. With this being said, I think that a person can go overboard in his or her negative criticism. I've done it at times myself and I imagine most of us have. One suggestion that has helped me over the years is to first read what I've typed before hitting the ENTER key. The second, and i feel this is a really good idea, is that we need to remember that these are young kids and they have families and friends who read what's said here on GUBoards. One thing I ask myself is how would I want others to criticize my son or daughter or grandkids. The last thing I'll share about this is that when the Zags loose I do not post anything. I let myself cool off and when I do say something it the next day or two in comes out with a lot more sensitivity.

I really like participating on this forum. Sometimes I feel things get a little out of hand and threads get derailed by posters who are just too darn lazy to go to another forum to talk about other things other than GU basketball, or just start a new thread if you want to talk about something else. And finally, let's try to keep this forum as a positive place to come to talk about GU men's basketball.

Go Zags!!!
                          I totally agree with you. It gets so frustrating to click in to check the latest on a subject and find it is no longer the subject. I hate negative criticism of the boys especially the nastiness of some people.

Comment

• sittingon50
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

As long as we're making/taking suggestions, here's one:

Try to be concise; War & Peace every freaking time you log on is boorish.
                            But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• scrooner
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

More Kamaka Hepa news plz.

Comment

Working...
                              X