Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good article on Rui

Congrats to tillie and Rui on a very successful tourney! The future is bright!
    Go Zags!!!

Rui was the one guy on Japans team that they could not afford to have in foul trouble -- I can see why the coach would direct him not to try to go for the blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Rui was the one guy on Japans team that they could not afford to have in foul trouble -- I can see why the coach would direct him not to try to go for the blocks.
    Did the coach mention this somewhere?

Last time I talked to him he mentioned he wanted to keep his star player out of foul trouble.

Rui could go on to lead the Zags to Final Fours, lead the country in scoring, and be a lottery pick.

But in terms of great moments in Zag history, he will have a hard time topping his 3 at the end of the game vs. Xavier to put the cherry on top of our first ever Final Four appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by thegloriousgoateeofKP View Post
    Rui could go on to lead the Zags to Final Fours, lead the country in scoring, and be a lottery pick.

But in terms of great moments in Zag history, he will have a hard time topping his 3 at the end of the game vs. Xavier to put the cherry on top of our first ever Final Four appearance.
    Thanks for the memory. We were able to simply enjoy the moment during the last five minutes of the game, after all those years and disappointments.

Per Rui's instagram story, he's back in spokane

Quote Originally Posted by nish_mode View Post
    Awesome! Look forward to seeing him scrimmage this week.

Yea! The more he works now the better we will be in March.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

What I like most about Rui's game is that he just doesn't have one way to score: like being a good outside shooter,or having good inside moves at the post. Rui has such a beautiful all around game: How he plays the full court running game, especially when he has the ball in his hands. He looks like he could play guard. A very good passer, as has been shown in this video. A very good rebounder, and a good shot blocker. He had some really nice blocked shots. Can throw the ball down with ease. One of the best dunkers GU will ever have. And yet some fans who post on this forum think he will only play 8-10 min next season. lol lol, lol lol....That may be the funniest thing I've ever read on this forum. And I really love another one of the "doubters" arguments, "He's doing all this against players who are no better than real good high school players." hahahahahaah

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Can i just say that spinning over the shoulder no look pass was absolutely filthy. Like holy mole that was ridiculous.

That was a fun video, Rui is still a bit mechanical on offense but it's clear he has all the tools. Reminds me of Giannis Antetokounmpo (the Greek Freak) on the Bucks when he first joined the NBA, but with a better, more confident jumper.

Quote Originally Posted by Pallet View Post
    That was a fun video, Rui is still a bit mechanical on offense but it's clear he has all the tools. Reminds me of Giannis Antetokounmpo (the Greek Freak) on the Bucks when he first joined the NBA, but with a better, more confident jumper.
    Can u explain what you mean by "mechanical?"
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Needs to work on his handles this Summer.

His shoulder high, slow dribbling will get picked apart vs good, athletic defense.

We know he has a versatile game, all the tools, & could develop into a star at this level, however still a long way to go.

His shot release is also on the slower side, which has been blocked vs players his size or taller.

His shot selection is average at best, but his growing court presence is encouraging.

As Coach Lloyd mentioned, he will "learn how to be a star" before becoming one....which is also why I believe Collins made a mistake in leaving a year before he was ready to play minutes and be a man on the court. Not a financial mistake by any stretch tho.

Learning to be a player is as important as being a player.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Can u explain what you mean by "mechanical?"
    I mean that you can often see the wheels turning in his head before he makes a move, like he has to wait a beat to analyze the floor and his options. There are glimpses of what it'll be like when he gets it all figured out, like that gorgeous no look pass, but he hasn't quite put it all together yet.