X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TokyoZag
    Kennel Club Material
    • Feb 2007

Next time Tommy needs a Japanese translator, please hit me up!

Comment

• Zagger
      Banned
      • Mar 2008

Rui, Rui, Rui!
      I believe 17-18 is going to be a special season .... fast and furious! Chumping at the bit already and it's July!

Comment

• jchocolate99
        Kennel Club
        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
        This is where the program can make a difference-- getting on recruits early.
        This is where the program HAS made a difference... for all the success our program has had we rarely win toe to toe battles for recruits against other top programs... We earn our recruits from early recruiting interest. I've learned my lesson from this board that when a recruit is first mentioned and they don't seem that interesting not to disregard them because the staff see something early in them which they do a great job off. Sabonis wasn't that interesting of a recruit early on and was a great player for us... Jesse Wade wasn't that interesting of a recruit early on but is seeming like a great recruit early on.

Comment

• Jedster
          Bleeds GU Blue
          • Oct 2009

Don't post very often lately, but am really intrigued by Rui. The big piece for me (and IMO) will be how he will be able to integrate into the Zag system. The team is so heavily built on how well you fit into the system and play your role, while utilizing your skills, that I think this is the big question to be answered with how much Rui plays. Coach Few has always held to a premium that you play within the system on both ends of the floor, otherwise you won't see a lot of time. I know he gave Adam a lot of leeway with this, so we'll see how Rui fits into things. I am very intrigued at what he will bring next year. On the top end it's "sky is the limit" for sure.

Comment

• billyberu
            Bleeds GU Blue
            • Feb 2007

A 6'8" small forward with elite athleticism, good handles and a 7'2" wingspan, geez, what's not to like? I see a huge leap forward for Rui in the coming year. I don't see him as quite the offensive star that Adam Morrison was in college, but he'll be a double-double machine and just as electrifying to watch.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
            There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
            Surfmonkey89

Comment

• DZ
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Jedster View Post
              Don't post very often lately, but am really intrigued by Rui. The big piece for me (and IMO) will be how he will be able to integrate into the Zag system. The team is so heavily built on how well you fit into the system and play your role, while utilizing your skills, that I think this is the big question to be answered with how much Rui plays. Coach Few has always held to a premium that you play within the system on both ends of the floor, otherwise you won't see a lot of time. I know he gave Adam a lot of leeway with this, so we'll see how Rui fits into things. I am very intrigued at what he will bring next year. On the top end it's "sky is the limit" for sure.
              Good one.

Please post more.
              Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
              Mark Twain.

Comment

• cggonzaga
                Zag for Life
                • Mar 2007

Rui is a guy that will be a better pro than college player imo. Not to say he won't have a good college career but his game is simply better suited for the pros. I would be ecstatic if he averaged like 8ppg and 6rpg next season. That would be a great year for him imo.

Comment

• DZ
                  Zag for Life
                  • Sep 2007

With his length and leaping ability, does he have the skills to be another rim protector? Because, thinking on it, even though PK was a "space eater" - it was JWIII who really provided the "thought in the back of the head" of guys going inside. Additionally, Tillie also did some fantastic things way up in the air. If we have Rui able to come off the ball to cause havoc, (set aside his on-the-ball defense for a moment), he seems to have the make-up of someone who can do it.

If he could, that would seem to bring us a formidible defensive component down low, even setting aside Larsen's size and strength. This is a question to the basketball people. I am interested in hearing the analysis.
                  Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                  Mark Twain.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Rui averaged 1.4 blocks per game in the FIBA tournament --- JW3 averaged .9 blocks per game last year-- between all of our bigs we should have some decent rim protection as they are all mobile and can help weak side.

Comment

• btzag
                      Bleeds GU Blue
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                      With his length and leaping ability, does he have the skills to be another rim protector? Because, thinking on it, even though PK was a "space eater" - it was JWIII who really provided the "thought in the back of the head" of guys going inside. Additionally, Tillie also did some fantastic things way up in the air. If we have Rui able to come off the ball to cause havoc, (set aside his on-the-ball defense for a moment), he seems to have the make-up of someone who can do it.

If he could, that would seem to bring us a formidible defensive component down low, even setting aside Larsen's size and strength. This is a question to the basketball people. I am interested in hearing the analysis.
                      He has the athleticism to do it but not sure what is missing for him. Make-up, desire, lack of interest...just not sure. Look at the Puerto Rico highlights and on many of PR's baskets Rui is in perfect position to come over to help and have an easy block but he just sits there and watches. Trying not to be critical of him but the proof is in the video. Just hoping this is all his national team coaching and maybe a specific directive to not get involved and pick up fouls...

Comment

• cjm720
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2007

Congrats to tillie and Rui on a very successful tourney! The future is bright!
                        Go Zags!!!

Comment

• Zagdawg
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Rui was the one guy on Japans team that they could not afford to have in foul trouble -- I can see why the coach would direct him not to try to go for the blocks.

Comment

• btzag
                            Bleeds GU Blue
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
                            Rui was the one guy on Japans team that they could not afford to have in foul trouble -- I can see why the coach would direct him not to try to go for the blocks.
                            Did the coach mention this somewhere?

Comment

• Zagdawg
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Last time I talked to him he mentioned he wanted to keep his star player out of foul trouble.

Comment

• thegloriousgoateeofKP
                                Professional Zag Fan
                                • Jul 2007

Rui could go on to lead the Zags to Final Fours, lead the country in scoring, and be a lottery pick.

But in terms of great moments in Zag history, he will have a hard time topping his 3 at the end of the game vs. Xavier to put the cherry on top of our first ever Final Four appearance.

Comment

Working...
                                X