Thread: Gonzaga Baseball: Zags Add to 2018 Roster

Post Gonzaga Baseball: Zags Add to 2018 Roster

Baseball Adds to 2018 Roster

Taylor Davis, Cole McKenzie transfer in from junior colleges

July 6, 2017

SPOKANE, Wash.--Gonzaga baseball head coach Mark Machtolf announced the signing of two more players to National Letters of Intent Thursday. Both Taylor Davis and Cole McKenzie will join the Bulldogs for the 2018 season.

Taylor Davis | Right-Handed Pitcher | Federal Way, Wash.

Davis comes to Spokane after two years at Lower Columbia College in Longview, Wash. As a sophomore for the Red Devils, he posted a stellar 10-1 record and 2.52 ERA. He led the Northwest Athletic Conference with 89.1 innings pitched while holding opposing batters to just a .205 average. Against conference foes, Davis went 6-0 with a 1.92 ERA and 34/8 strikeout/walk ratio. The standout year earned Davis Pacific Association Northwest All-Region Second Team honors and Second Team All-NWAC accolades.

During his senior season at Todd Beamer HS in Federal Way, Wash., Davis was named First Team All-State by the Washington State Baseball Coaches Association.

Why Davis chose Gonzaga: "I chose Gonzaga because it has a good mix of academics, religion, and a great baseball program. Also, the recent NWAC guys who have attended Gonzaga have had great success. They've told me that the coaches truly care about you as a student-athlete and that the university itself is just one big family."

Coach Machtolf on Davis: "We are excited to add Taylor to our pitching rotation. He was a key component during Lower Columbia's NWAC Championship season last year."

Cole McKenzie | Outfielder | Billings, Mont.

McKenzie finished second in the NWAC in batting as a freshman last spring, hitting .396 for Yakima Valley CC. In addition to his 55 hits, the center fielder drew 33 walks for a .530 on-base percentage, and he posted a 1.062 OPS with seven doubles and six triples. The speedster was also a threat on the basepaths, swiping 21 bags in 24 attempts. He earned spots on both the NWAC's and the Northwest Region's First Teams, and he also picked up ABCA/Rawlings Pacific Association All-America honors. Additionally, he was the NWAC East Region Most Valuable Player.

In high school, McKenzie earned All-State designation while playing for Billings HS. Before then, he represented Montana at the 2011 Little League World Series, reaching the US Championship game.

Why McKenzie chose Gonzaga: "I chose Gonzaga because I wanted to challenge myself academically and gain knowledge of the game of baseball and life from the people around me."

Coach Machtolf on McKenzie: "Cole had a great freshman year at Yakima Valley CC, and we anticipate him having the chance to compete right away at the Division I level. Offensively he fits right into the type of player we are looking for."

Davis and McKenzie will join 10 more players - eight freshmen, two junior college transfers - as Gonzaga baseball's incoming class. The new school year begins August 2017, but the Zags won't take the diamond until February 2018....

Gonzaga Article Link

Thanks for the info, Terp.
    "If we saved the world, there would be a comment that we should have done it faster."

Jordan Mathews, upon GU ascending to #1