Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT - Where to live in Spokane

Default OT - Where to live in Spokane

*Sorry for the OT post here, but I wanted to get the most opinions. You can move it if you like.*

I was wondering what everyone thinks about the best neighborhoods or parts of town in Spokane? Schools, value, views, etc. We live in Vancouver right now and might have to move to Spokane so wondering where to look. Nothing will be as green and pretty as Vancouver, but maybe some areas could be closer than others.

Thanks.

Probably the South Hill. Ferris High School area.

Avoid like the plague.... West Central, North Central, East Spokane (Rodgers High school area), Hillyard and downtown.

I have sold real estate for over 40 years and as strange as it seems people who were born in Hillyard love Hillyard, people born in the NW area love the NW area, People born on the S Hill love the south hill. etc. Amazing. To answer your question Zons zag, it depends on your budget, your family activities, work location etc. Sit down with a realtor and define your wants and needs and you will do fine.
    Last edited by zag buddy; 06-24-2017 at 04:30 PM.
    The hallmark of a second class person is the resentment of another's success-R.W. Emerson
    Whatever you focus your mind on grows, grow a rose garden and not a weed patch-Dr Paul

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkerZag View Post
    Probably the South Hill. Ferris High School area.

Avoid like the plague.... West Central, North Central, East Spokane (Rodgers High school area), Hillyard and downtown.
    I haven't live there in almost 20 years, but even then NC boundaries were sketch. My mom made sure I got to Shadle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    I have sold reql estate for over 40 years and as strange as it seems people who were born in Hillard love Hillard, people born in the NW area love the NW area, People born on the S Hill ove the south hill. etc. Amazing. To answer your question Zons zag, it depends on your budget, your family activities, work location etc. Sit down with realtor and define your wants and needs and you will do fine.
    I'd recommend starting with this. I agree that South Hill is lovely, and there are some lovely areas up north as well, but the key is what your needs are.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Good to hear that you may get to move to Spokane-- get rid of some of the gills and webbed feet from the rain and be blessed with 4 seasons and some of the best college basketball on the west coast.

South Hill and people that haven't driven in much snow can have challenges.

I like the Spokane Valley, Liberty Lake and north Wandermere areas.

We lived in Spokane Valley for awhile, and definitely agree that it's fabulous.

[" might have to move to Spokane"

"might have to".....

change jobs, please, and stay where you are....

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    I haven't live there in almost 20 years, but even then NC boundaries were sketch. My mom made sure I got to Shadle.

Unfortunately, my parents settled in the NC area..... Lord Have Mercy!
    Lots of guys riding bikes with missing teeth, looking for free stuff to steal.
    If you know what I mean.

I also lived in the Shadle area on Upton street.
    Much better neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    [" might have to move to Spokane"

"might have to".....

change jobs, please, and stay where you are....
    If I had a good job opportunity in Spokane and found a school I liked for my boys, I'd happily move back to Spokane.

If you know what I mean.

We lived close to Felony Flats and Canon Park

I moved away seven years ago. I'd start by looking at Mead and Mt. Spokane HS areas and then the South Hill. The areas northeast of the city are closer to the mountains, have more trees, and are a little greener. Not like the west side of the Cascades, but the closer you get to the west side of the city the drier it gets.

If you have kids and a job, Spokane is a fantastic place to be. I miss it all the time but had to move away because of my job. And if you have to uproot and move to Spokane, I bet you will end up loving it there.

Southwest Spokane is great. I'm near 29th and Bernard and love it. Wilson grade school is terrific, and my kids loved Lewis and Clark HS. Access to downtown is super easy, and the crime rate is low. Beautiful area, a few blocks from Manito and Comstock Parks.

South hill is where I'm currently at, very happy. Lived up north as a kid, not quite as good. Hamblen is a nice grade school, but I'm trying to avoid middle schools so they will be going to one of the catholic grade schools for middle school and then gprep for high school.

11 cheers for binary!

"Make me a sandwich"
    "Make it yourself"
    "Sudo Make me a sandwich"
    "Okay"

We've lived in the Spokane Valley for 38 years and love it. Love the schools. Love the traffic flow. My brother lives in the nine mile area and feels the same about it as we do the valley. Zag buddy gave you great advice. I still think you should choose the valley though. Lol

I have always thought that living within 6 blocks of Manito Park would be wonderful. 90 acres of beautiful gardens, running paths, bike trails, duck ponds, and a great conservatory. Except for the fact that so many of the Lovely Mrs. 75's relatives live nearby, it might be the perfect place to live.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Great comments by many. We moved back to Spokane from Vancouver five years ago. Personally I believe South Hill is over rated. Lots of older overpriced homes but has a couple of stunningly beautiful areas as mentioned. There are awesome neighborhoods in more recently developed neighborhoods in the Valley, north and other areas. As was stated it depends on what is important to you. One big difference between Vancouver and Spokane is that Spokane has a robust downtown more like Portland perhaps, whereas Vancouver's downtown is very minimal as you know. Everybody goes to Portland... Of course.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

My wife's family lives in Spokane. we visit all the time. I like Spokane a lot actually, from a visitor standpoint. To this outsider the coolest area I have seen in Spokane is Manito Park neighborhood. The houses surrounding that park and the neighborhood are so Awesome. I would love to live in one of those homes. Just beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Great comments by many. We moved back to Spokane from Vancouver five years ago. Personally I believe South Hill is over rated. Lots of older overpriced homes but has a couple of stunningly beautiful areas as mentioned. There are awesome neighborhoods in more recently developed neighborhoods in the Valley, north and other areas. As was stated it depends on what is important to you. One big difference between Vancouver and Spokane is that Spokane has a robust downtown more like Portland perhaps, whereas Vancouver's downtown is very minimal as you know. Everybody goes to Portland... Of course.
    Great comments GrizZag. While we were at GU the Lovely Mrs. '75 and I spent many days walking and biking around the South Hill and decided that if we ever ended up living in Spokane we wanted to live on Cliff Drive or near Manito Park. Fate intervened and brought us to Vancouver WA nearly 40 years ago. At first we were tempted to live in Portland and work in Vancouver, as Portland has many spectacular neighborhoods such as Ladd's Edition or Laurelhurst or Irvington, but that 11% Oregon personal income tax discouraged us. Believe it or not, there are a couple great neighborhoods in Vancouver, particularly West of I-5 and closer to downtown. We have lived in a couple of them, and today our neighbors live in houses that are 100+ years old, which is not as spectacular as the brick Kirtland Cutter homes on the South Hill, but is still pretty nice. Vancouver's downtown retail core was wiped out by the fact that Oregon has no sales tax, but it is actually coming back a little bit as the I-5 bridge traffic is horrific, and most people don't want to drive for 75 minutes back and forth to Oregon to save $25 in sales tax.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

As someone who used to do service work in the HVAC industry, I have met all kinds of people who moved here from somewhere else. And I can tell you that "most people" from the west side of the state tend to like the south hill the best. It's more than just the physical traits of the area, it's the lifestyle. It has its commercial areas, but it's mostly local type businesses and the only real mega store is the new Target. There aren't any Walmart's up there. A lot of professional types live up there like medical professionals, lawyers, accountants, etc. If you're into the kind of areas where there are newer houses, the valley and the far north side are nice, but have the more commercial, urban sprawl type of neighborhood with all of the chain stores. Liberty Lake is nice, but can be a little on the frown on the outsiders trying to take over my lake attitude from time to time. Airway Heights and Medical Lake are growing fast and are reasonably nice areas, but if you don't like the wind, stay away from there. Cheney is a college town. And Greenacres is more spread out with lots of large lots, people who like to have large shops / garages and it's at least a 5-10 minute drive to any kind of road that leads to shopping. Greenacres is also across the freeway from Liberty Lake and the eastern edge of Greenacres is right on the Idaho border. The downtown / lower South Hill is an area trying to change it's image with a lot of older areas / buildings being turned into condos. It's also pretty central to everywhere around spokane. I hope that this helps.

79th between Madison and Fifth. No?

If you know what I mean.

My mom made the same mistake. She moved into a house north of Francis and assumed (I don't know why) that she could just send us to Mead. Nope, we had a 1 hour bus ride each way to get to North Central. The bus literally drove past Shadle Park on the way there. I didn't hate NC. It just sucked having to go so far to get to school when there were closer schools.

With all that said, I really liked North Spokane. I even bought a house there until I moved. Just be careful which school district you move too. The South Hill is very nice and lots of fun in the winter when the news media sets up cameras in strategic places as cars slide down the hill and bounce off of parked cars the whole way down. My inlaws live on five mile and have a very nice view and home. I like it a lot up there. It also has a challenging hill to get down in the winter, but I've never had any problems on it. My dad used to live in Hillyard. It wasn't bad except for Christmas lights being stolen, random bullet going through living room window (luckily we were not home), needles and used condoms found in the yard, and multiple car break-ins. That was 10-15 years ago. Maybe it has changed. He lives up above the valley now near Bigelow Gulch. There are lots of nice new homes up there. Lots of them have nice views too. I would recommend that area too. The hill getting too his house is not bad in the winter either.
    Bring back the OCC

......maybe consider expanding your search envelope a little further east to Post Falls.....or the Indian Meadows / Fairway Hills neighbor of CdA. Close freeway access, good schools, cool 2nd generation neighborhoods, if you're into outdoor recreation of any kind the 208 might be the better choice....dependent upon the work commute you are willing to absorb. If your position is in the valley or east side this might be the way to go.

There are a ton of good choices in Spokane too, just do your reaseach and accept the fact it will be much different from Van south. Not better or worse, but different.

The down side with Idaho is you pick up a state income tax when you live there--but housing is cheaper.

Currently the housing market in Spokane is a little tight. You may want to rent for awhile in order to wait for for some good locations to become available.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...ows-trends/#/0
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few