X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dogtownkid
    Kennel Club Material
    • Mar 2007

After I retired from full-time teaching in California, I did substitute teaching for several years. My favorite high school was definitely Gonzaga Prep, followed by Lewis and Clark.

Comment

• DZ
      Zag for Life
      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
      Southwest Spokane is great. I'm near 29th and Bernard and love it. Wilson grade school is terrific, and my kids loved Lewis and Clark HS. Access to downtown is super easy, and the crime rate is low. Beautiful area, a few blocks from Manito and Comstock Parks.
      This.

I can't imagine anything being better, 5 minutes to downtown, great schools, great neighborhoods, Manito Park, a little more diversity in that it's not all people who've lived in Spokane their whole life, lots from all over. We love it.

Of course, it's no secret that it's a great place for all those reasons, and the price of a home reflects it. One pays more for the same home than one would in most other areas.

Oh, and the snow thing is real. It's always shocked me how noticeably the snow amount increases each block one gets higher up from downtown.
      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
      Mark Twain.

Comment

• ZonaZag
        Bulldog Fan
        • Feb 2007

Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas. This weekend we checked out the Mead area, Morningside Heights area in Greenacres, and the South Hill by regal and 57th. All seemed ok in their own ways. South Hill was probably the best with good school ratings, close to shopping, close to biking/running trails. Now the prices just need to be lower!

We live in the West Hazel Dell/ Lakeshore area of Vancouver for those that know it. So we like old mixed with newer and close to trails and the city. Reason we might have to move would be to take care of parents in the area. I work from home so it doesn't really matter where I live, which is why we would rather move to Europe. [emoji3]

Thanks again for all the info, so keep it coming!

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
          • Feb 2007

JMHO... Grew up in the Valley... went to U-High. So I am a touch partial. Valley is a great choice.
          "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• titopoet
            Zag for Life
            • Apr 2008

I love living in the valley. I am also surprised no one mentioned Liberty Lake or Millwood. Both areas are up and coming.
            ----
            Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Comment

• RenoZag
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

It appears there are some really nice craftsman-style homes in Spokane for reasonable amounts; here's an example

I have no opinion on neighborhoods, etc. I have been following Spokane listings on Trulia for about three months now. If I was worried about school districts, crime rates, and more, I would certainly find this a valuable thread.

Have been considering Spokane, possibly Twin Lakes Village (Rathdrum) for a retirement destination. There's a 2BD,2BA fully furnished condo at TLV listed for $149K right now, for example. I've got (knock on wood) three years of the daily grind to go and then it's off to retirement-ville.

Good luck, 'Zona.
              The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• DZ
                Zag for Life
                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
                It appears there are some really nice craftsman-style homes in Spokane for reasonable amounts; here's an example

I have no opinion on neighborhoods, etc. I have been following Spokane listings on Trulia for about three months now. If I was worried about school districts, crime rates, and more, I would certainly find this a valuable thread.

Have been considering Spokane, possibly Twin Lakes Village (Rathdrum) for a retirement destination. There's a 2BD,2BA fully furnished condo at TLV listed for $149K right now, for example. I've got (knock on wood) three years of the daily grind to go and then it's off to retirement-ville.

Good luck, 'Zona.
                Cool.

Not only could you attend games with your friends here offering you tix, but "RathofZag" or "ZagDrum" have some cool connotations. Not that "RenoZag" doesn't work for a Sparks resident.
                Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                Mark Twain.

Comment

• bigblahla
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Wandermere - Mead area.... in the county....city does a poor job of snow removal, Spokane Valley the same....my road is cleared daily in the winter if there is snow on the ground...gorgeous area...great school district....first saw area in 1958 and wanted to live here then....that was back when Spokane started at Francis Ave and the old highway ran past Commelini's Junction....moved into this house in 2001...the area has all the benefits of being in the country yet I'm only 2 blocks from shopping center....works for me...

Go!! Zags!!!
                  "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• kjstoph1
                    Bulldog Fan
                    • Feb 2007

I am a native born and bred South Hillian and it is definitely worth a look but...

1) You're going to pay more.

2) With recent changes in zoning, the upper south hill is not-the-same as the Moran Prairie/Mayberry days of old. Traffic on S. Regal is god awful (for Spokane).

3) I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at the academic status of both North Central and (gasp) Rogers. The teachers and administrators there are focused on getting those kids edjumacated. There are some really nice places around Corbin Park.

I actually think west of Hangman Creek is a steal - 5 minutes to downtown, 5 minutes to the airport. Be careful in that the dividing line between Cheney and Spokane schools wanders aimlessly out there. Cheney is an excellent school district but it's the wrong direction for parents who work in the city for the most part.

Comment

• primal23
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kjstoph1 View Post
                      I am a native born and bred South Hillian and it is definitely worth a look but...

1) You're going to pay more.

2) With recent changes in zoning, the upper south hill is not-the-same as the Moran Prairie/Mayberry days of old. Traffic on S. Regal is god awful (for Spokane).

3) I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at the academic status of both North Central and (gasp) Rogers. The teachers and administrators there are focused on getting those kids edjumacated. There are some really nice places around Corbin Park.

I actually think west of Hangman Creek is a steal - 5 minutes to downtown, 5 minutes to the airport. Be careful in that the dividing line between Cheney and Spokane schools wanders aimlessly out there. Cheney is an excellent school district but it's the wrong direction for parents who work in the city for the most part.
                      You are sure correct about south regal it is horrible!!!
                      And when there is something going on at the sports complex just avoid it like the plague!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      11 cheers for binary!

"Make me a sandwich"
                      "Make it yourself"
                      "Sudo Make me a sandwich"
                      "Okay"

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
                        Bleeds Bulldog Blue
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kjstoph1 View Post
                        I am a native born and bred South Hillian.
                        "native born South Hillian?"

Isn't that a fancy way of saying cake eater?
                        You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• primal23
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
                          "native born South Hillian?"

Isn't that a fancy way of saying cake eater?
                          It is much different than a south hylian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          11 cheers for binary!

"Make me a sandwich"
                          "Make it yourself"
                          "Sudo Make me a sandwich"
                          "Okay"

Comment

• Zagger
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2008

We live out in Chattaroy along the Little Spokane River. We like living out of town for being closer to camping, lakes, skiing, flying, hiking, etc. When we get too old to take to the mountains/lakes, etc. we'll likely move into the downtown area. Downtown Spokane gets better and better. I've never felt unsafe anywhere in Spokane. If you're keen on the out-of-doors you'll have lots to choose from - and some pretty darn good weather to go with it. Hard to beat Spokane summers! Only thing I see getting worse about Spokane is the traffic. Been joking that the epitaph I'll have on my headstone will read "Is the N/S Freeway done yet?" .... And i hope to live for 30 more years!

Comment

Working...
                            X