Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Anton Watson Commits

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    too bad g-prep isn't 3a...state would be fun...wonder if there are any other high major 4a talents...idaho-level doesn't really get one too excited.
    It would be fun to watch them in the 3A. Most of the top schools in Seattle are glorified AAU teams and run to state will be a meat grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    Didn't watson go to post falls hs in Idaho and transfer to gonzaga prep?
    Lives in CDA started at Prep as a Freshman. The ex-hack writer for the Spokesman Greg Lee likes to refer to him as a transfer, but that is because Lee is an Idaho guy.

Would love to see Watson in camp after clinic etc all summer long.

too bad g-prep isn't 3a...state would be fun...wonder if there are any other high major 4a talents...idaho-level doesn't really get one too excited.
    Couple things. I personally think Prep and Richland are the best teams in the state regardless of classification. Ferris isn’t fair behind.

As for Christensen at U-High, he’s pretty legit. Very high motor for a big strong kid and good athleticism. Idaho will probably win the Big Sky this year and it wouldn’t shock me if they won a game in the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by northsidezagfan View Post
    21 in essentially 2 quarters vs Central Valley
    Was at the game last night and yes AW had a pretty easy night going against a 6'4" Soph and 6'9" Frosh (who needs a good year to acclimate to his size) and then CV throwing a bunch of 6'1-2" guys at him. Double teaming left Prep's Jamaari Jones to feast. The game was very easy for AW and he even seemed a bit aloof but he could score at will against the lack of size or experience.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO

E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.

Today in a new poll, MaxPreps has GPrep ranked #23 in its national computer rankings. 3A Garfield is not in in the top 25 in the computer rankings, but is ranked #14 on MaxPrep’s National Excellence rankings and Prep doesn’t make the top 25.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Couple things. I personally think Prep and Richland are the best teams in the state regardless of classification. Ferris isn’t fair behind.
    As for Christensen at U-High, he’s pretty legit. Very high motor for a big strong kid and good athleticism. Idaho will probably win the Big Sky this year and it wouldn’t shock me if they won a game in the tournament.
    don't follow closely enough to know, so i'll take your word for it...wouldn't surprise me as great coaching and team play can overcome individual talent anyways, and i would say past zag teams have exemplified this.
    my point was that i'd like to see watson match up against other high-major talent as those results are a much better indicator of ability at the next level...more so than overall team success

don't follow closely enough to know, so i'll take your word for it...wouldn't surprise me as great coaching and team play can overcome individual talent anyways, and i would say past zag teams have exemplified this.
    my point was that i'd like to see watson match up against other high-major talent as those results are a much better indicator of ability at the next level...more so than overall team success
    That’s what I’m talking about.

The majority of the evaluation occurs during AAU and summer camps that is where he has played against the high level talent you interested in seeing and what resulted in his being offered. Very little weight is put into how that players do within their HS league due to the lack of comp.

From today's S-R:
    Anton Watson scored 30 points and visiting Gonzaga Prep (13-0, 7-0) beat Rogers (5-7, 2-3) 62-55 in Greater Spokane League play on Tuesday.

G-Prep used a 17-8 run in the second quarter to take a 40-18 lead into intermission then withstood Rogers’ 25-19 fourth-quarter advantage to hold on to the win.

Liam Lloyd added 17 points for the Bullpups, who entered play rated No. 1 in state 4A in the latest WIAA RPI.

http://usatodayhss.com/2018/super-25...mpression=true

USA Today has Prep at #7 in the country!

From the S-R yesterday, "Anton Watson scores 24 points to guide Gonzaga Prep past Lewis and Clark"
    Gonzaga Prep entered Friday’s game against Greater Spokane League rival Lewis and Clark rated No. 1 in state Class 4A. It looked every bit the part.

Anton Watson scored 24 points, including 18 in the first half, and the Bullpups (14-0, 8-0) systematically handled the visiting 16th-rated Tigers (8-6, 5-3) 64-25.

“We came out with great energy, great focus,” Gonzaga Prep coach Matty McIntryre said. “I thought we did a good job getting the ball where it needed to go for us to be successful. Simple plays are winning plays. We kept the game very simple tonight and I was proud of that.”

Jamaari Jones had 13 points and Jacob Parola added 10 for G-Prep, which held LC to single digits in each of the four quarters.

“We put a lot of emphasis and pride in our defense,” McIntyre said. “We think the defense can come every night and play intensely.

Quote Originally Posted by vandalzag View Post
    The majority of the evaluation occurs during AAU and summer camps that is where he has played against the high level talent you interested in seeing and what resulted in his being offered. Very little weight is put into how that players do within their HS league due to the lack of comp.
    i actually think (and i know at least a few coaches who agree with me) that the big-time high school team tournaments where top teams match up regardless of classification/location are where the best evals take place as there is better coaching involved and teams actually run offense and play defense. for instance, the spalding hoophall classic going on right now...

i actually think (and i know at least a few coaches who agree with me) that the big-time high school team tournaments where top teams match up regardless of classification/location are where the best evals take place as there is better coaching involved and teams actually run offense and play defense. for instance, the spalding hoophall classic going on right now...
    Agreed basically saying same thing that the evals have nothing to do with how they perform in their regular leagues, since D1 players are the exception.

Tonight's game vs. University: Gonzaga Prep 64, University 57
    Anton Watson scored 37 points as the Bullpups (9-0 GSL) pulled away late to close out the feisty Titans (2-7). Tanner Christenson's 13 points led the Titans, who pulled within a single point after three quarters after trailing by double digits in the first half.

That'a boy! When he turns it on and turns it up, Watson can put up the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    That's crazy that he scored 37 out of their total 64 points. And this kid still has a whole nother year to continue to grow physically and skill wise. He may wind up being our highest rated recruit ever and he's right in their own backyard. Pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Watson drew a lot of fouls, making 13 out of 17 free throws and 12 field goals.
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    Watson drew a lot of fouls, making 13 out of 17 free throws and 12 field goals.
    Do you think he winds up being a three or a four for us? Or similar to Rui, where he can play both? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    That's crazy that he scored 37 out of their total 64 points. And this kid still has a whole nother year to continue to grow physically and skill wise. He may wind up being our highest rated recruit ever and he's right in their own backyard. Pretty cool!
    No, but he may be dang good if his IQ continues to grow and develop. Right now he's bigger and more skilled than everybody he plays against, but the competition is not exactly Montverde Academy...

Do you think he winds up being a three or a four for us? Or similar to Rui, where he can play both? Thanks
    I dont see him as being able to defend a quick wing or a real power forward as of yet. Depends on which way his development goes. Speed verses strength remains to be seen which way he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    No, but he may be dang good if his IQ continues to grow and develop. Right now he's bigger and more skilled than everybody he plays against, but the competition is not exactly Montverde Academy...
    Agreed, but I believe Austin day or Zach Collins were our highest recruited players to this point ever. I think both were in the high 30s if memory serves me correct. Watson has a chance to go even higher than them at the end of next season.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    I dont see him as being able to defend a quick wing or a real power forward as of yet. Depends on which way his development goes. Speed verses strength remains to be seen which way he goes.
    What do you mean "as of yet"? I was specifically asking for projection, down the road. What people think his position will be for us.

What do you mean "as of yet"? I was specifically asking for projection, down the road. What people think his position will be for us.
    I think he’s another Rui but closer to a 4 than 3. I think hooter is underestimating Watson due to body language. That’s just Anton though. He’s like Robinson Cano in that he makes it look so easy that it appears he isn’t giving 100% effort. Next thing you know he’s gone for 37 against another D1 big. Hooter is also underestimating the GSL like many on the west side do. Yet the GSL constantly represents very well in the state tournaments.

[QUOTE=cggonzaga;1352321] He’s like Robinson Cano in that he makes it look so easy that it appears he isn’t giving 100% effort. QUOTE]

CANO ISN'T GIVING 100% EFFORT WHEN HE JOGS DOWN TO 1ST ON AN INFIELD GROUNDER!@#$%^&

(*thread derail*)
    "I think we're all Bozos on this bus."