Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Anton Watson Commits

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    Why do you guys take things so personal? Critiquing a player is normal. The staff does it in order to define and concentrate their efforts.

John doesn't care what anyone says on here, and even if he did, while I respect what did for GU and all he accomplished, why should that keep someone from talking basketball?

If you don't agree with someone's critique, make a rebuttal on principle. Please stop trying to use trump cards (no puns, bro's). Talk ball. If you don't think he is a project, why do you think that? John probably works with kids that aren't good enough to play at GU. A kid being a project is not an indictment on John, and being fundamentally sound isn't everything.

Talk ball. Please. Every kid has something to work on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Amen to that
    I would never be a sellout............unless of course I got a boat load of money to do it

Off topic a bit but LC played a team from Cali today and the Cali team had a dude that was taking it to the LC guy...don't know his name but he was a beast

Also Culp from GPrep, don't know if he is projected as a WR in college but he is going to end up being a TE or DE imo
    I would never be a sellout............unless of course I got a boat load of money to do it

Quote Originally Posted by kjstoph1 View Post
    Watson has been coached by Stockton for years. I wouldn't ever want to piss John off by calling one of his players a 'project'. They are as solid fundamentally as you will find.
    Kj! It's been ages wince you've posted here! Welcome back. Valued opinion. Cougs going to do much this year???

I love it when local kids get on the team! Welcome Anton!
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    I love it when local kids get on the team! Welcome Anton!
    Watson is not a project. He is a great athlete with great basketball IQ. The Prep system doesn't really 'feature' players, so it may not look like he's a beast, but he is. A project to me is a guy who couldn't make it in your system unless you poured more than the average amount of effort and resources into him in the hopes that he would surpass a guy that would just be able to play of the streets. A project is also a gamble. When Watson shows up on campus he'll be more than ready to contribute. He gets the game.

Deezy is projected as a WR. He's got some growing to do inside and outside of the weight-room to play DE or even a Hybrid DE/LB. Athleticism will not be the issue with that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    Why do you guys take things so personal? Critiquing a player is normal. The staff does it in order to define and concentrate their efforts.

John doesn't care what anyone says on here, and even if he did, while I respect what did for GU and all he accomplished, why should that keep someone from talking basketball?

If you don't agree with someone's critique, make a rebuttal on principle. Please stop trying to use trump cards (no puns, bro's). Talk ball. If you don't think he is a project, why do you think that? John probably works with kids that aren't good enough to play at GU. A kid being a project is not an indictment on John, and being fundamentally sound isn't everything.

Talk ball. Please. Every kid has something to work on.

I believe kg replied back to you. Shouldn't take it so personal.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Is Anton as good as Sean Mallon?

Be objective.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Similar -- Anton averaged 19 pts a game a sophomore and Mallon averaged 18 pts as a sophomore.

Time will tell as he continues to develop and grow-- will he be a wing or a forward in college.

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post

Be objective.
    I'll be honest I don't remember Mallon as a sophomore. I remember Sean as a really skilled PF his senior year. I remember Sean competing very will at the State Tourney his senior year. At this point, comparing Sean his senior year to the sophomore AW is difficult because they are way different. AW translates to a wing today, a face up wing with some range. He can slash and throw down. Sean his senior year (correct me if I'm wrong) was a back to the basket player. He relied more on technique and that he had a height advantage. Not much of his game was more than 10 ft from the basket. In hindsight, SM didn't pan out as well as we had hoped, but the projection in HS was slightly inflated. He probably should have been a 3-star. He did have difficulty guarding more athletic centers and forwards and that never changed.

If Mallon was playing in high school this year, he'd put up good numbers on that Ferris team. But we'd want Watson more, wwwaaaaayyyy more upside. If he doesn't grow an inch or change his body at all from today as a Soph, he'd be a 3/4 star recruit. If he grows some (and I don't know if he will) and continues to develop his game (again, can't assume) he'll be a 4 star for sure (if he signed with Oregon or Zona he's be a 4/5 star).

Be objective.
    If you gave me a choice between Sean Mallon's already known college career and the potential of Anton Watson? I think there is a strong case to take Anton.

Quote Originally Posted by EEzag View Post
    (if he signed with Oregon or Zona he's be a 4/5 star).
    Oregon hasn't had a 5 star step on the floor yet in the Altman era (Dorsey was close), though that changes in the coming season with their first since Aaron Brooks. Arizona gets 3 a year. UCLA or Zona is how I'd put that.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Kj! It's been ages wince you've posted here! Welcome back. Valued opinion. Cougs going to do much this year???
    I will have to check and see whether WSU still fields a basketball team.

I'm relatively certain the AD assigned it to club sport status since his arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I believe kg replied back to you. Shouldn't take it so personal.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    I take it personal in that I've coached against John/Anton - and couldn't beat either of them.... And, yes, they'd both be pissed being labeled a 'project' and would then use that as fuel to get better.

Watson comes from good genes -his dad at one time was the leading scorer at Idaho; his brother likely could have played bball there too had he not concentrated on football. Pretty sure mom was a D-1 athlete too.

I'd take him a hundred times over any other kid in E. Washington right now. He needs to continue to get better facing the basket and stepping outside - but, honestly, he's going to be a heck of a lot more successful at that than some AAU superstar who has jacked threes from his hip since the third grade. His mechanics are really nice and he can get to the rim. Basketball IQ off the charts (that's the Stockton influence) and if there's any criticism, it's that he probably needs to play a little less mechanically and use his athleticism even more.

You aren't a four year starter at Prep unless you have chops. He has chops. Prep should have won it this year. They'll win it at least once, if not twice in the next two years.

And, yes, he's as good as Mallon - much more athletic. Not as sized (yet) but he's very very good with two more years to show that. Nobody in town will be able to guard him as a senior. Nobody can guard him right now.

I take it personal in that I've coached against John/Anton - and couldn't beat either of them.... And, yes, they'd both be pissed being labeled a 'project' and would then use that as fuel to get better.

Watson comes from good genes -his dad at one time was the leading scorer at Idaho; his brother likely could have played bball there too had he not concentrated on football. Pretty sure mom was a D-1 athlete too.

I'd take him a hundred times over any other kid in E. Washington right now. He needs to continue to get better facing the basket and stepping outside - but, honestly, he's going to be a heck of a lot more successful at that than some AAU superstar who has jacked threes from his hip since the third grade. His mechanics are really nice and he can get to the rim. Basketball IQ off the charts (that's the Stockton influence) and if there's any criticism, it's that he probably needs to play a little less mechanically and use his athleticism even more.

You aren't a four year starter at Prep unless you have chops. He has chops. Prep should have won it this year. They'll win it at least once, if not twice in the next two years.

And, yes, he's as good as Mallon - much more athletic. Not as sized (yet) but he's very very good with two more years to show that. Nobody in town will be able to guard him as a senior. Nobody can guard him right now.
    Your analysis is spot on. Also, sophomores don't generally lead the GSL in scoring at 20ppg.

Be objective.
    An example of objectivity: Could Anton jump over a phone book if you asked him to?

I'm sure he could. Sean had a bit more cariety to his game when he was a Sr. Anton is a very good player and a very coachable kid. As I look back, I think he'll be a lot better than Sean was. Way better leaper. He'll need some weight and more variety in his shots. Noting that he has a couple years to develop, I'm not worried. AND, since he's in the fold and he is just up the street, I'm thinking staff will work with Coach Mcintyre in his development.

Prep should have won it this year.
    I think Kentwood beats em 7 times out of 10. They have the benefit of playing tougher comp all year. No stars but that Kentwood team was damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    An example of objectivity: Could Anton jump over a phone book if you asked him to?
    In context that is too funny....love Mallon but he needed two steps before he could start running...he even made Gourde look fast....those were the days....miss Chunk..

Go!! Zags!!!

Nice to see you here, stoph.
    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in..."

I remember Sean at Ferris. Super skilled and versatile. I think as a Zag a couple things happened after his redshirt. He didn't have to be as skilled because Adam's fast start and his speed was probably hurt a little by added bulk.

I think he made plenty of winning plays regardless of any stats.
    Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Quote Originally Posted by Vanzagger View Post

This.
    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in..."

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    This.
    One of the classiest Zags of all time......

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Where can I find that metric at Scout.com?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanzagger View Post
    I remember Sean at Ferris. Super skilled and versatile. I think as a Zag a couple things happened after his redshirt. He didn't have to be as skilled because Adam's fast start and his speed was probably hurt a little by added bulk.

I'll add my +1 to that. He was a fine basketball player.

Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    In context that is too funny....love Mallon but he needed two steps before he could start running...he even made Gourde look fast....those were the days....miss Chunk..

Go!! Zags!!!
    Nicely put I'm glad my comment was taken humorously. I am a big Mallon fan and said the above in good fun. He did a lot down low despite his relative lack athleticism.