Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anton Watson Commits

He is a sophomore in high school. I am willing to bet he will do some growing yet.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by Stache View Post
    Anton's AAU team went up against Shaq's kid last summer and Anton was the best player on the court. He is a tweener at about 6'7". He is smooth, has a fluid and consistent outside shot, and he is a quick leaper even if he does not have the elevation of some with super sized hops. He is tough inside and has the ability to change his shot to get it to the hoop. Not really big enough to be a SF at this level of D1 (need to be 6-9 to 6-10?), and he needs continued work on handles to be a 3. He is a great kid. Polite, smart and has a great family. I suspect he will be more heavily noted and written up this summer.
    The 3 is the small forward position. I think you're talking about the 4=Power Forward.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I watched him all year. He's not really a power forward right now. Maybe a few more inches and some muscle will make that a fit but his skills translate to a 3 imo

Quote Originally Posted by Stache View Post
    I watched him all year. He's not really a power forward right now. Maybe a few more inches and some muscle will make that a fit but his skills translate to a 3 imo
    reborn is referring to your typo above...SF should be PF

"Not really big enough to be a SF at this level of D1 (need to be 6-9 to 6-10?)"

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    so, was your previous question a sarcastic one? or did you stumble upon that link after posting?

i was just trying to respond reasonably and fairly without people thinking i was tearing the kid down. can be a pretty tough line to walk in this neighborhood. but no, he probably doesn't pencil out to a 5-star recruit.
    Stumbled upon it. Work to do.

Super excited about this guy in our program especially with two more years to grow and develop. This zags staff knows bb talent and if they offered him this early they 'know something'!

Quote Originally Posted by Norwester View Post
    You're kidding, right?

If not, how about John Houston Stockton?
    Brain fart...

Wonder when kids start getting star bumps after committing to Gonzaga like commits at the blue bloods get?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Stumbled upon it. Work to do.
    gotcha. i read your previous post in a hurry earlier and thought it was a response to mine and found it quite confusing. i think my head couldn't get around you asking if he was a 5-star and then you wondering if he's a project in the space of a single post. now i realize it was a misinterpretation on my part. my apologies.

what i should have said is: "all sophomores are projects (see collins, zack), but there's plenty of time, potential, and opportunity for him to grow. i am thinking we got a good one "

I have watched Prep's televised games for years. Anton was especially fun to watch last year. I couldn't be happier to see him commit to GU as a great player and as a homegrown player.
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

Missed the typo on SF/PF. Thanks.

https://twitter.com/SWXRightNow/stat...97586647384064

Inside The Kennel‏
    @InsideTheKennel
    Hey @aaronwbeach know you have seen Anton Watson play. What's your scouting report

Aaron Beach‏
    @aaronwbeach
    Aaron Beach Retweeted Inside The Kennel
    Love him! High ceiling, great athlete, really smart player. Was best overall player at Spring Showcase. Blue chipper if he keeps growing

I was thinking about past players with his body type, and the most recent one that came to mind was Nunez. That got me wondering how much of an advantage will it be for him to have committed so early? Hopefully he gets to spend a lot of extra time around the program and hits the ground running as a freshman. We've been waiting for a long time to have a player with a conventional sf frame. Would hate to have another player like Nunez who doesn't work out.

Im super excited about Anton. Vastly underrated right now. Hes gonna be a special Zag.

Quote Originally Posted by dhozagfan08 View Post
    I was thinking about past players with his body type, and the most recent one that came to mind was Nunez. That got me wondering how much of an advantage will it be for him to have committed so early? Hopefully he gets to spend a lot of extra time around the program and hits the ground running as a freshman. We've been waiting for a long time to have a player with a conventional sf frame. Would hate to have another player like Nunez who doesn't work out.
    The problem with Nunez is he couldn't shoot from the outside. He was going to drive to the hoop every time and soon defenders never bothered to guard him from the outside. He was a little soft in my opinion as well. This kid will be better than Nunez, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    The problem with Nunez is he couldn't shoot from the outside. He was going to drive to the hoop every time and soon defenders never bothered to guard him from the outside. He was a little soft in my opinion as well. This kid will be better than Nunez, imo.
    Yeah I don't see the Nunez comparison. Maybe athletically. Watson is much tougher and pretty decent down low.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Yeah I don't see the Nunez comparison. Maybe athletically. Watson is much tougher and pretty decent down low.
    The comparison was body type. How many wings have we had with that type of frame. I think he can be way better than nunuz. I also think Nunez could have been way better than he was if he had bought into the system more.

Quote Originally Posted by dhozagfan08 View Post
    The comparison was body type. How many wings have we had with that type of frame. I think he can be way better than nunuz. I also think Nunez could have been way better than he was if he had bought into the system more.
    Nunez could not shoot from the outside, and it hurt him. Nunez was a 4, not wing. He'd be called a "stretch 4" most likely.

It's great to finally have another top 100 caliber, national recruit come out of Spokane. Locals will have the opportunity to see this kid play and develop throughout the rest of his high school career. That's going to be a very cool thing.

And if he totally blows up as a prospect, Few and Co. don't have to travel very far to make their presence felt

I've never seen him play, and don't know BB as much as some here. And, I've never been a D-1 athlete. But, I know Adam Morrison wasn't on any sort of national recruiting site as anything special, and yet halfway through Adam's frosh year at GU, he was the best player on the floor. So, I know to throw any rating stuff out the window.

And this:

“I can start watching them practice and get to know my future teammates and coaches, so it’s a great opportunity for me.”
    Seems to me that any kid who specifically cites that is one who knows what it takes to develop. Plus, a 6'7 210 soph is likely to add some numbers to that, and that's pretty rare for a guy people say could develop into a 3.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Project? Rated 6th best in state and 137th in country on one site.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/anto...ball-stats.htm
    Watson has been coached by Stockton for years. I wouldn't ever want to piss John off by calling one of his players a 'project'. They are as solid fundamentally as you will find.

Quote Originally Posted by kjstoph1 View Post
    Watson has been coached by Stockton for years. I wouldn't ever want to piss John off by calling one of his players a 'project'. They are as solid fundamentally as you will find.
    that's awesome info. hadn't heard that. thanks.

Default Anton Watson Commits

Quote Originally Posted by kjstoph1 View Post
    Why do you guys take things so personal? Critiquing a player is normal. The staff does it in order to define and concentrate their efforts.

John doesn't care what anyone says on here, and even if he did, while I respect what did for GU and all he accomplished, why should that keep someone from talking basketball?

If you don't agree with someone's critique, make a rebuttal on principle. Please stop trying to use trump cards (no puns, bro's). Talk ball. If you don't think he is a project, why do you think that? John probably works with kids that aren't good enough to play at GU. A kid being a project is not an indictment on John, and being fundamentally sound isn't everything.

Talk ball. Please. Every kid has something to work on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's playing at team camp this week. Just sayin.