Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrimmage Reports

Default Scrimmage Reports

Very few of our players played. Williams, Jones and Wade played. All played extremely well. I will report more tomorrow.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    Very few of our players played. Williams, Jones and Wade played. All played extremely well. I will report more tomorrow.
    Thanks, these summer reports help me get my out of town fix.

Not many past Zags present either. Gary Bell and Dranginis played on the skins team. Gary's pregnant wife and son were there. Future Zags?

Really liked getting my first close up look at Jesse Wade. He was hitting from nba range and he rarely missed during warm ups. In the scrimmage he more than held his own hitting a couple deep 3s. He looks to be in great condition. Reminds me of Pangos with better handles, bigger, more athleticism, and dare I say...might be a better three point shooter?

Our only center, Jacob Larson, sat on the sidelines. He did not play. I found that worrisome as he was the only player who didn't. He didn't even throw up any shots during warmups. Thought he'd be recovered from his knee injury by now.

Donny Daniels and Tommy Lloyd were present but didn't coach. Just watched off and on.

Hoping for more players to show up for the next ones. By the way, you can't enter via the back of the Martin Centre anymore because of construction. Entrance from the other side. Scrimmage started at about 10 pm after camp game ended.

*quick blurb on Williams -best player on the floor. He owned the paint
    ** Melson and Norvell showed up but sat in the stands
    Last edited by Zippyzaggy; 06-21-2017 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Forgot item

Thank you for sharing!

Reminds me of Pangos with better handles, bigger, more athleticism,
    Pretty much how I see Wade. Hope you're right on the perimeter shooting. Would you say he also scores in more ways than Pangos did?

If there were hardly any players there who were they playing against?

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Pretty much how I see Wade. Hope you're right on the perimeter shooting. Would you say he also scores in more ways than Pangos did?

Yes, he'll be able to create more in the paint. Being faster with better handles will be a definite plus over Pangos. He was playing against Gary Bell and Kyle Dranginis and did well. If I recall, he scored a couple baskets via layups too and added a floater

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Thank you for sharing!
    My pleasure

Good job zippy! Wade will surprise everyone. Superior player. He'll get the system quickly. The only question I have is how he'll do with D1 guards on the other side of the ball.
    Last edited by MDABE80; 06-21-2017 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post

I think we are going to continue seeing the affirmation that Wade is a little bit of a few of the great's.

There is going to be a ton of jealousy and loathing coming out of Provo...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyzaggy View Post
    Yes, he'll be able to create more in the paint. Being faster with better handles will be a definite plus over Pangos. He was playing against Gary Bell and Kyle Dranginis and did well. If I recall, he scored a couple baskets via layups too and added a floater
    That's encouraging and coincides with another poster that said he and Norvell were the two best players in the game about a month or so ago.

Zippy got it right. Jones did look good also. I believe he will see playing time. The only weakness in his game might be his shooting percentage but hard to tell with one night. Williams is the man,energy,aggressiveness and good decisions. He was the leader. Wade surprised me with his hops. Typical great Gonzaga guard. You can not enter on the south side of the building this year. You have to enter from the north side, using the old kennel entrance I went in then downstairs and like a maze finally found the Gym. Maybe some one could explain an easy way after entering to find the gym. There were two or 3 young players there that I wouldn't mind seeing on the team but I have no idea who they were.

Any old dogs playing? Was really hoping to catch them putting in reps before the alumni game.

Very promising news on Wade. Does he seem like he is in good basketball shape after the long layoff?

Is there a chance he would crack the starting lineup, or would it take an injury to Josh or Silas for that to happen? Silas is so good as the 6th man but definitely has earned a starting spot.

There were two or 3 young players there that I wouldn't mind seeing on the team but I have no idea who they were.
    Was one of them this guy?

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    Zippy got it right. Jones did look good also. I believe he will see playing time. The only weakness in his game might be his shooting percentage but hard to tell with one night. Williams is the man,energy,aggressiveness and good decisions. He was the leader. Wade surprised me with his hops. Typical great Gonzaga guard. You can not enter on the south side of the building this year. You have to enter from the north side, using the old kennel entrance I went in then downstairs and like a maze finally found the Gym. Maybe some one could explain an easy way after entering to find the gym. There were two or 3 young players there that I wouldn't mind seeing on the team but I have no idea who they were.
    I'm excited to see Jeremy Jones play this year because he suffered a really bad high ankle sprain last year in the pre-season scrimmage against Baylor (wore a boot for six weeks). The coaching staff played him sparingly until late Feb where he played a few minutes in some blowout games. I'm really excited to see him play a full season this year injury free because he is poised to break out this year and surprise some people (including Jazz .

Thank you so much for the info! Does anyone know the best time to go down and watch? I have Fridays off and I'd love to take my kids down there sometime.

Looks like another great find by the staff with Wade. The Wade/Norvell era begins!
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

I remember seeing video of Wade back when GU was recruiting him. I was totally impressed, and believed at that time that he could possibly be as good as The Jimmer. That is high praise.I won't be surprised at all by how good he is because he is THAT good. In my opinion this is the best stable of guards ever at Gonzaga. That includes the '99, and 2000 team which had excellent guards. Perkins, Melson, Norvell, Wade, Ayayl, and Kispert.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

cgg, I don't believe I saw him.

Thank you SOOOOOOOOOO much. Desperate for Zag news.

Unless I miss my guess, I suspect Jesse Wade will be at the PG spot by January. Josh will play what he played last year. Silas is a terrific 6th.
    Corey can play 2 or 3. Norvelle will be also a serviceable 2 o3. Ayayi might be the best of all at the 1 or 2 spot. Speed to burn with great handles with good shooting. Pound for pound though, I like Wade. A LOT!

No need to say I told you so to everyone about Jesse, but...

Larsen though is majorly concerning.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post

I don't think you're the only one that felt this way hooter

Are they playing again tonight? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post

Well sounds like perk and Melson were there and also DNP... Now if the report was that he was limping around or on crutches this board would explode. Could also just be rehabbing on the side and not cleared by staff to play pickup games yet. Who knows? I'm not going to freak out. Yet.

Nothing from tonight?